The RPG Thread -> 2023 was a banner year for RPGs. What was your favorite?

What is your RPG of 2022?

• Tactics Ogre

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Horizon: Forbidden West

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Elden Ring

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Stranger of Paradise: FF Origins

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gotham Knights

• Pokemon Acreus

• Xenoblade Chronicles 3

• Fire Emblem Warriors

• Pokemon Scarlet/Violet

• Other (Please note with a thread post and let us know!)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
yall consider elden ring and souls game to be JRPG?

didnt realize there is a whole debate on reddit arguing that its not.

It’s a JRPG, imo. I know it probably comes across as a little corny but if it’s not a JRPG, it’s a “Souls” game. I think the genre is popular enough that it spawned its own genre similar to Metroidvania.

I wonder if we’ll get some DQ III news at the Nintendo Direct. I wish we’d get a port for DQ VIII also.

Idk, I just call them RPGs for the most part. Trying to decipher between all the terminologies is just whatever to me. Only categories I would maybe use are "Turn-Based," "Action," and/or "Strategy."

More than likely, I'd say something is "like" or "esque." Ex: Sea of Stars is like Chrono Trigger or Chrono Trigger-esque.

I’ve been playing Legend of Dragoon for the first time. It’s not bad by any means but it’s showing just how special Final Fantasy IX is. I believe they both released in 2000. So far, LoD is really basic.

I wonder if we’ll get some DQ III news at the Nintendo Direct. I wish we’d get a port for DQ VIII also.
1716851457019.png

1716851412655.gif

The cruelty of life is that I wanted all of this to happen for the last 15 years, with rereleases of the best games of my childhood and ones I missed due to system/timeframe. They finally all start pouring out in what amounts to the least free-time I have ever had in my life. :frown:

Day one, add it to the backlog. Happy to pay full price for something like this.

I’ve been playing Legend of Dragoon for the first time. It’s not bad by any means but it’s showing just how special Final Fantasy IX is. I believe they both released in 2000. So far, LoD is really basic.

I mean, to be fair, you are comparing it to one of the greatest games of all time. :lol:

You aren't wrong, though. I have always seen it as a relief playing something so straightforward. It was part of it's charm to me.

I mean, to be fair, you are comparing it to one of the greatest games of all time. :lol:

You aren't wrong, though. I have always seen it as a relief playing something so straightforward. It was part of it's charm to me.
You’re right. I didn’t expect it to be as good as FF IX but after releasing behind FF VII and VIII and other countless JRPGs, I was surprised. It’s just little stuff I noticed like when your character attacks an enemy and hits for 21 dmg, he’s going to hit for the same dmg every time. I don’t know if I’ve ever seen that before :lol:

I just got my Dragoon form and linked with Rose so we’ll see where it goes from here.

Just beat P3 Reload. It was a fun, long ride. I finally get why many believe that is the game that made Persona the series we know today. I always equated this game to FFIV, Persona 4 to FFVI, and Persona 5 as FFVII for Atlus based on other's opinions and comments. I agree even more now. Wish I would've had the patience to play the original back in 2007, but I was just graduating high school and always in the streets like most teenagers lol.

Going to pallet cleanse with Crisis Core and other shorter games I've been wanting to beat. Not touching anything Atlus again until Metaphor possibly early next year. These 100+ hour RPGs are grueling. I think I'll do one a year going forward. Granted, I like exploring everything, so I guess part of it is on me.

Back
Top Bottom