NIKE AIR RAID
TINKER HATFIELD & MARK SMITH
Original Release Date
The Nike Air Raid, originally released in 1992, was a signature basketball sneaker designed in collaboration by Tinker Hatfield (yup, him) and Mark Smith for Tim Hardaway of the Golden State Warriors and legendary "RUN TMC" trio.1 A direct order from the upper management of Nike, via a yellow sticky note2, Tinker Hatfield and Mark Smith were tasked with creating a basketball shoe specifically for "OUTDOOR USE ONLY".3 Looking for inspiration to draw upon, Mark Smith headed to New York City to discover what outdoor ballers needed most in a shoe, durability, lockdown, and toughness.4 What resulted was the Nike Air Raid, constructed with a textured leather upper, polyurethane midsole, rubber outsole, Air-Sole heel unit and iconic "X" patterned cross-foot straps, ready not only for a battle, but for a war of the pavement.5 The Air Raid has seen many releases and forms, starting with the original run in 1992 and retro runs in 2003, 2004,2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, and 2014, along with OB (clarification and date needed), BATTLEGROUNDS series (date needed), lunar-soled Lunar Air Raids (2014), and the successor the Air Raid II (1993).
Who Wore It
LUNAR AIR RAID
2008 HOH NY EXCLUSIVE
1. http://news.nike.com/news/nike-air-raid paragraph 4
2. http://news.nike.com/news/nike-air-raid paragraph 2
3. http://news.nike.com/news/nike-air-raid pargraph 4
4. http://news.nike.com/news/nike-air-raid paragraph 4
5. http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/pd/air-raid-shoe/pid-1487121/pgid-10280935 see "SUPPORTIVE IMPACT PROTECTION"