NikeTalk › NikeTalk Forums › The Lounge › Music › [:: J. COLE THREAD | New Album: '4 Your Eyez Only' DEC. 9::]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[:: J. COLE THREAD | New Album: '4 Your Eyez Only' DEC. 9::] - Page 263

post #7861 of 12674

Power Trip is a great song, I just don't see it shutting the radio scene down at all. Or putting Cole back in the spotlight. Let's just hope he has more up his sleeve for the days leading up to the album.

Link for Vintage Clothing (free $20 voucher for sign up through my link): https://www.schoola.com/stitch?ref=cp-3X6xjbRRX <-- just trying to put my NT fam on.


CHECK OUT MY LISTINGS BELOW!! 

For Sale: SOLD
$277 (USD)
For Sale: SOLD
$194 (USD)
 
Reply
Link for Vintage Clothing (free $20 voucher for sign up through my link): https://www.schoola.com/stitch?ref=cp-3X6xjbRRX <-- just trying to put my NT fam on.


CHECK OUT MY LISTINGS BELOW!! 

For Sale: SOLD
$277 (USD)
For Sale: SOLD
$194 (USD)
 
Reply
post #7862 of 12674
Quote:
Originally Posted by topnotchtolu View Post

Power Trip is a great song, I just don't see it shutting the radio scene down at all. Or putting Cole back in the spotlight. Let's just hope he has more up his sleeve for the days leading up to the album.

I don't see why not. Power trip seems like a really good radio song imo. Honestly , I don't care if he has a hit single on the radio. I just want a better album then his debut .

post #7863 of 12674
Power trip will do just fine. I've said it before in this thread. It won't be a top 10 hit or nothing but it will definitely be all over the radio (already is out here in the Bay Area).

Just two weeks it was like #100 on iTunes top songs, now it's at #53.

Same with billboard charts. It was like 90 two weeks ago, now #60 on hot 100... It's only been 5 weeks on the chart, it'll pick up once the video drops as well.
post #7864 of 12674
Although we are a lil bit away I think this will get more rotation in the beginning of the summer too
I'm doing better than I'm feeling....
Reply
I'm doing better than I'm feeling....
Reply
post #7865 of 12674
For everyone who is concerned about his lack of social media interaction

I'm doing better than I'm feeling....
Reply
I'm doing better than I'm feeling....
Reply
post #7866 of 12674
^Good post. I happen to agree with Cole 100% and have no problem with how he uses social media.
post #7867 of 12674
i want that polo (short or long sleeve) but $125 ?!?!?! cant do it.

I feel what cole is saying, but times arent the same as back then, you gotta stay relevant...and hes not an EM, Jay or huge stars that can move how they want and still be relevant...imo, but i aint knockin his reasoning...im already a fan:D
GO COWBOYS


FS: DS NIKE LEBRON XI (PREMIUM) ''2K14' US MEN'S SIZE 10
Reply
GO COWBOYS


FS: DS NIKE LEBRON XI (PREMIUM) ''2K14' US MEN'S SIZE 10
Reply
post #7868 of 12674
Quote:
Originally Posted by jthagreat View Post

i want that polo (short or long sleeve) but $125 ?!?!?! cant do it.

I feel what cole is saying, but times arent the same as back then, you gotta stay relevant...and hes not an EM, Jay or huge stars that can move how they want and still be relevant...imo, but i aint knockin his reasoning...im already a fan:D

I agree with him not being a Em or Jay but do you see what happens when he releases something? websites freeze laugh.gif. I think if Cole was more active on social networks he'd die out faster than he would not being on them
I'm doing better than I'm feeling....
Reply
I'm doing better than I'm feeling....
Reply
post #7869 of 12674
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon16 View Post

I agree with him not being a Em or Jay but do you see what happens when he releases something? websites freeze laugh.gif. I think if Cole was more active on social networks he'd die out faster than he would not being on them

Agreed...I think a huge misconception in society today is that social media makes everyone more relevant. I think it works for some people in certain industries but I don't necessariiy think it works for artists in music. I for will say I don't care what Cole does every day nor do I think anyone of us needs to know but the way he uses social media to give info about his music and drop songs etc is EXACTLY what the fans need from him. For those that disagree I would ask well what more do you want him to do on social media?
post #7870 of 12674
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatbushFiyah23 View Post

Agreed...I think a huge misconception in society today is that social media makes everyone more relevant. I think it works for some people in certain industries but I don't necessariiy think it works for artists in music. I for will say I don't care what Cole does every day nor do I think anyone of us needs to know but the way he uses social media to give info about his music and drop songs etc is EXACTLY what the fans need from him. For those that disagree I would ask well what more do you want him to do on social media?

Exactly
I'm doing better than I'm feeling....
Reply
I'm doing better than I'm feeling....
Reply
post #7871 of 12674
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatbushFiyah23 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon16 View Post

I agree with him not being a Em or Jay but do you see what happens when he releases something? websites freeze laugh.gif. I think if Cole was more active on social networks he'd die out faster than he would not being on them

Agreed...I think a huge misconception in society today is that social media makes everyone more relevant. I think it works for some people in certain industries but I don't necessariiy think it works for artists in music. I for will say I don't care what Cole does every day nor do I think anyone of us needs to know but the way he uses social media to give info about his music and drop songs etc is EXACTLY what the fans need from him. For those that disagree I would ask well what more do you want him to do on social media?

give us more music +shrugs+

Im only on FB so it makes no difference to me...
GO COWBOYS


FS: DS NIKE LEBRON XI (PREMIUM) ''2K14' US MEN'S SIZE 10
Reply
GO COWBOYS


FS: DS NIKE LEBRON XI (PREMIUM) ''2K14' US MEN'S SIZE 10
Reply
post #7872 of 12674
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatbushFiyah23 View Post

Agreed...I think a huge misconception in society today is that social media makes everyone more relevant. I think it works for some people in certain industries but I don't necessariiy think it works for artists in music. I for will say I don't care what Cole does every day nor do I think anyone of us needs to know but the way he uses social media to give info about his music and drop songs etc is EXACTLY what the fans need from him. For those that disagree I would ask well what more do you want him to do on social media?

I see your point, and they are very valid/right. Could totally see the logic behind this.

However, IMO he could be a much bigger artist if he capitalizes on his potential impact on social media. Do I care about if he's active on social media? **** no. But then again, I think social media has been a detriment to our society, for it allows people to live on the internet, and desensitizes us to actual physical human interaction. Furthermore, social media makes people far more important than they are, and it can kind of create a fictional hierarchy of sorts in regards to that...but whatever.

Back to Cole. As I stated, I don't care about whether or not he's active on social media but there are a lot of fans,and even more potential fans who do. What Cole said in that piece is absolutely right...if this was the 90's. This is a new era. You have to, sooner or later adjust to the times. I'm in the music biz a bit, (or at least trying to get my feet wet) and we discuss this. Fans have a more personal relationship with artist than ever before. If you only tweet, or IG when you are dropping music, it can easily bite you in the *** when you decide to drop something, for it could potentially appear that you only use/care about your fans when you need them I.E. when I decide to drop an album, song, single, etc.

Hopefully it doesn't bite him in the butt when the album drops, but Power Trip isn't selling the way I thought it would, and If the album doesn't move as many units as one may assume, the lack of social media could play a part. In a way, you're taking your fans for granted by only acknowledging them when you need them.
post #7873 of 12674
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoeking2101 View Post

I see your point, and they are very valid/right. Could totally see the logic behind this.

However, IMO he could be a much bigger artist if he capitalizes on his potential impact on social media. Do I care about if he's active on social media? **** no. But then again, I think social media has been a detriment to our society, for it allows people to live on the internet, and desensitizes us to actual physical human interaction. Furthermore, social media makes people far more important than they are, and it can kind of create a fictional hierarchy of sorts in regards to that...but whatever.

Back to Cole. As I stated, I don't care about whether or not he's active on social media but there are a lot of fans,and even more potential fans who do. What Cole said in that piece is absolutely right...if this was the 90's. This is a new era. You have to, sooner or later adjust to the times. I'm in the music biz a bit, (or at least trying to get my feet wet) and we discuss this. Fans have a more personal relationship with artist than ever before. If you only tweet, or IG when you are dropping music, it can easily bite you in the *** when you decide to drop something, for it could potentially appear that you only use/care about your fans when you need them I.E. when I decide to drop an album, song, single, etc.

Hopefully it doesn't bite him in the butt when the album drops, but Power Trip isn't selling the way I thought it would, and If the album doesn't move as many units as one may assume, the lack of social media could play a part. In a way, you're taking your fans for granted by only acknowledging them when you need them.

Great post and I appreciate the respect in your response.

I agree with you 100% regarding the impact of social media on society.

I totally hear your point regarding the fact that fans may view him as just needing them when he drops something. To me its interesting that fans would view it that way but I think people at times have absurd expectations when it comes to artists/celebrities so I can understand that point. I wonder if that thinking is more of an effect of social media being present because I doubt many fans would feel that way if social media wasn't present.

Consider the fact that when there was no social media that artist would do specific things for promotion ONLY when they were dropping and album, single etc. So at that point did the fans feel like the artist was only caring about them when he or she needed them?! Just and interesting question to think about that crossed my mind.

Honestly speaking I truly do not believe that Cole's lack of social media has anything to do with Power Trip not being received well commercially. Personally I just think the song is not that good and was very underwhelming.
post #7874 of 12674
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatbushFiyah23 View Post

Great post and I appreciate the respect in your response.

I agree with you 100% regarding the impact of social media on society.

I totally hear your point regarding the fact that fans may view him as just needing them when he drops something. To me its interesting that fans would view it that way but I think people at times have absurd expectations when it comes to artists/celebrities so I can understand that point. I wonder if that thinking is more of an effect of social media being present because I doubt many fans would feel that way if social media wasn't present.

Consider the fact that when there was no social media that artist would do specific things for promotion ONLY when they were dropping and album, single etc. So at that point did the fans feel like the artist was only caring about them when he or she needed them?! Just and interesting question to think about that crossed my mind.

Honestly speaking I truly do not believe that Cole's lack of social media has anything to do with Power Trip not being received well commercially. Personally I just think the song is not that good and was very underwhelming.

Well, in regards to what I bolded, the thing is that's true. Fans used to be used to that dymanic of "Artist doing specific things for promotion only when they were dropping an album, single, etc." however those were the times then, the times now are far different.

If social media was around back then, it would have played just as much of a pivotal role then as it does now more than likely. One of the first rules in music I think everyone sees is that the consumer has the power. You give them what they want. If all of your fans are on social media, it can only help if you are active on social media too. Maybe not back then because social media wasn't around, but since it is today, virtually no social media interaction w/your fans can easily be pictured as Cole alienating his fans.

We'll agree to disagree on whether Power Trip is good, however, one thing is clear. When Cole was more active on social media, his music and career had a lot more of a stronger buzz to it. He was a bigger artist then. Almost every record he's dropped since the sideline story cycle has went either unheard or didn't receive the notoriety that it could have. And he isn't a Drake, or even a Big Sean at this point,(Popularity wise) and even they are more active on social media than him. You want your fans to have that one on one/family like relationship with you, not the "I'm the artist and you're the fan" relationship.
post #7875 of 12674
Just curious....Where are the articles or evidence that Power Trip is underperforming?

When i think of Cole I dont think of chart dominance, so its kinda hard for me to place value on what he is doing position wise but of course it is a factor in relevance

I know the closer he is to top 40, the better it is for the label...and he is almost there w Power Trip... but still were he is on the charts isnt the best indicator of his status in mainstream

I like Power Trip alot...but I also liked Workout(which caught alot of flack) and that went plat.
post #7876 of 12674
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoeking2101 View Post

Well, in regards to what I bolded, the thing is that's true. Fans used to be used to that dymanic of "Artist doing specific things for promotion only when they were dropping an album, single, etc." however those were the times then, the times now are far different.

If social media was around back then, it would have played just as much of a pivotal role then as it does now more than likely. One of the first rules in music I think everyone sees is that the consumer has the power. You give them what they want. If all of your fans are on social media, it can only help if you are active on social media too. Maybe not back then because social media wasn't around, but since it is today, virtually no social media interaction w/your fans can easily be pictured as Cole alienating his fans.

We'll agree to disagree on whether Power Trip is good, however, one thing is clear. When Cole was more active on social media, his music and career had a lot more of a stronger buzz to it. He was a bigger artist then. Almost every record he's dropped since the sideline story cycle has went either unheard or didn't receive the notoriety that it could have. And he isn't a Drake, or even a Big Sean at this point,(Popularity wise) and even they are more active on social media than him. You want your fans to have that one on one/family like relationship with you, not the "I'm the artist and you're the fan" relationship.
'

Yeah I definitely hear your point. I think it says more about us as a society that many equate lack of social media interaction to alienating a fan base. If anything I would think lack of producing music would be considered alienating a fan base. I am a fan and I don't feel alienated because Cole still gives the fan base music and also like the fact he doesn't over-saturate the market with his music.
post #7877 of 12674
Thread Starter 
It's annoying to hear Workout still being played on the radio here in Santa Barbara, when it should be Power Trip.
One station occasionally plays Power Trip, while the other hasn't even once yet but is STILL constantly playing Work Out. mean.gif

Almost makes me wanna call the radio station up and question these peoples knowledge on current singles.
Why would you be spinning Work Out when Power Trip is out?
Maybe i dont understand the radio business...but Work Out is played out man, get people on Power Trip now. You should be up to date with artists new stuff... trying to get those new singles some shine.

Come to think of it, i think i am going to place a call to that station. Not to complain, but to request power trip and see if it works.
It's too good of a song to not get spins man...honestly, not just saying it as a J.Cole fan...its a great song.
Much better than Work Out was...even as a radio single, it just sounds so much better.
LOS ANGELES LAKERS - SAN DIEGO CHARGERS
MARGOT ROBBIE
COLE WORLD
Reply
LOS ANGELES LAKERS - SAN DIEGO CHARGERS
MARGOT ROBBIE
COLE WORLD
Reply
post #7878 of 12674
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoeking2101 View Post

Well, in regards to what I bolded, the thing is that's true. Fans used to be used to that dymanic of "Artist doing specific things for promotion only when they were dropping an album, single, etc." however those were the times then, the times now are far different.

If social media was around back then, it would have played just as much of a pivotal role then as it does now more than likely. One of the first rules in music I think everyone sees is that the consumer has the power. You give them what they want. If all of your fans are on social media, it can only help if you are active on social media too. Maybe not back then because social media wasn't around, but since it is today, virtually no social media interaction w/your fans can easily be pictured as Cole alienating his fans.

We'll agree to disagree on whether Power Trip is good, however, one thing is clear. When Cole was more active on social media, his music and career had a lot more of a stronger buzz to it. He was a bigger artist then. Almost every record he's dropped since the sideline story cycle has went either unheard or didn't receive the notoriety that it could have. And he isn't a Drake, or even a Big Sean at this point,(Popularity wise) and even they are more active on social media than him. You want your fans to have that one on one/family like relationship with you, not the "I'm the artist and you're the fan" relationship.

Great points but I also don't feel like he has that "I'm the artist you're the fan" relationship because his music is so personal like he stated in the video above. Cole gives so much in his music that his fans don't need that social media outlet. He's also doing the college tour thing where he tells his story and talks with students about his music and life. Cole may not be Drake or Big Sean but he also doesn't have those same type of fans either (at least not for the most part). I think his marketing strategy is good for his audience and he can get away with this. Him being different from everyone else kind of helps him stick out. Things are looking very similar to the way it looked about 6 months before CW:TSS dropped and we saw how everything worked out with this strategy and that album's success, I also feel like Jay is keeping a close eye on things and he won't pull a diddy laugh.gif.
I'm doing better than I'm feeling....
Reply
I'm doing better than I'm feeling....
Reply
post #7879 of 12674
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon16 View Post

Great points but I also don't feel like he has that "I'm the artist you're the fan" relationship because his music is so personal like he stated in the video above. Cole gives so much in his music that his fans don't need that social media outlet. He's also doing the college tour thing where he tells his story and talks with students about his music and life. Cole may not be Drake or Big Sean but he also doesn't have those same type of fans either (at least not for the most part). I think his marketing strategy is good for his audience and he can get away with this. Him being different from everyone else kind of helps him stick out. Things are looking very similar to the way it looked about 6 months before CW:TSS dropped and we saw how everything worked out with this strategy and that album's success, I also feel like Jay is keeping a close eye on things and he won't pull a diddy laugh.gif.

His music is very personal. Cole's music is very strong, so IMO it won't hurt him, his lack of social media activity. However, if it does hurt him, I won't be surprised. This is a huge gamble, in this musical climate. You can't forget about your fans until it's album cycle time, then except them to support you. Eventually, at some point in his career, if he keeps this up, it very well may hurt him.

Cole's music as you said is so personal, and that's partly what makes it so good. I love Cole's music. Been riding since "School Daze." However, in this day and age man, anyone avid follower of music will agree with this, it's not just about the music. It's the brand. It's the image. All of that is what you're selling. It's not just the music. Social media supports the music. What Cole's team is doing is placing an extreme (unnecessary) amount of faith in the fact that the music alone will suffice his fans. Hardcore Cole followers? Sure it will. But Hardcore fans aren't who you're trying to reach. Hardcore fans have been riding since the come up, they aren't going anywhere. The casual fan, the new fans, the ones that make up the Gold selling albums, are who you're trying to reach and social media is HUGE in that regard.

We'll see what happens when the born sinner cycle kicks into high gear. But I guarantee you once it does, he'll be far more active in social media than he is now.
post #7880 of 12674
Power trip pimp.gif
post #7881 of 12674
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoeking2101 View Post

His music is very personal. Cole's music is very strong, so IMO it won't hurt him, his lack of social media activity. However, if it does hurt him, I won't be surprised. This is a huge gamble, in this musical climate. You can't forget about your fans until it's album cycle time, then except them to support you. Eventually, at some point in his career, if he keeps this up, it very well may hurt him.

Cole's music as you said is so personal, and that's partly what makes it so good. I love Cole's music. Been riding since "School Daze." However, in this day and age man, anyone avid follower of music will agree with this, it's not just about the music. It's the brand. It's the image. All of that is what you're selling. It's not just the music. Social media supports the music. What Cole's team is doing is placing an extreme (unnecessary) amount of faith in the fact that the music alone will suffice his fans. Hardcore Cole followers? Sure it will. But Hardcore fans aren't who you're trying to reach. Hardcore fans have been riding since the come up, they aren't going anywhere. The casual fan, the new fans, the ones that make up the Gold selling albums, are who you're trying to reach and social media is HUGE in that regard.

We'll see what happens when the born sinner cycle kicks into high gear. But I guarantee you once it does, he'll be far more active in social media than he is now.

I agree with you to an extent but I don't think you are going to get fringe hip-hop fans to get into J. Cole via social media. I just don't see it....if you don't like personal rap then your not going to like J. Cole no matter how he tweets or not. I don't think you have to always to crazy marketing or the same marketing schemes that everyone else does....look at Kendrick....sometimes the music being real does speak loudly and people want that.
post #7882 of 12674
He's going to drop a video soon.
post #7883 of 12674
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiCeNseD To BaLL View Post

It's annoying to hear Workout still being played on the radio here in Santa Barbara, when it should be Power Trip.
One station occasionally plays Power Trip, while the other hasn't even once yet but is STILL constantly playing Work Out. mean.gif

Almost makes me wanna call the radio station up and question these peoples knowledge on current singles.
Why would you be spinning Work Out when Power Trip is out?
Maybe i dont understand the radio business...but Work Out is played out man, get people on Power Trip now. You should be up to date with artists new stuff... trying to get those new singles some shine.

Come to think of it, i think i am going to place a call to that station. Not to complain, but to request power trip and see if it works.
It's too good of a song to not get spins man...honestly, not just saying it as a J.Cole fan...its a great song.
Much better than Work Out was...even as a radio single, it just sounds so much better.

'Nobodys perfect' out here in michigan...
GO COWBOYS


FS: DS NIKE LEBRON XI (PREMIUM) ''2K14' US MEN'S SIZE 10
Reply
GO COWBOYS


FS: DS NIKE LEBRON XI (PREMIUM) ''2K14' US MEN'S SIZE 10
Reply
post #7884 of 12674
Born Sinner will drop on June 25th!
post #7885 of 12674
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatbushFiyah23 View Post

Born Sinner will drop on June 25th!
And Power Trip video 2mrw
It's go time
I'm doing better than I'm feeling....
Reply
I'm doing better than I'm feeling....
Reply
post #7886 of 12674
Cole and Wale albums on the same day...let's see how long this holds up.
post #7887 of 12674
June 25th? damn that's still a long time from now. for real, what's up with these late pushed back dates? we haven't got any major albums as of late.
post #7888 of 12674
June 25?
We'll see about that..
post #7889 of 12674
Power Trip video is out and the song has been getting spins on the radio out here in cleveland, it was number 2 the last few days
TEAM CLEVELAND: BROWNS, CAVS, INDIANS
He put AKRON on the MAP......FOR6IVEN smokin.gif
Graduated Mechanical Engineer From The University of Akron
Instagram: instagram.com/jdhillon23
Reply
TEAM CLEVELAND: BROWNS, CAVS, INDIANS
He put AKRON on the MAP......FOR6IVEN smokin.gif
Graduated Mechanical Engineer From The University of Akron
Instagram: instagram.com/jdhillon23
Reply
post #7890 of 12674
Power trip video is fresh. Miguel laugh.gif

June 25th it is pimp.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Music
NikeTalk › NikeTalk Forums › The Lounge › Music › [:: J. COLE THREAD | New Album: '4 Your Eyez Only' DEC. 9::]