NikeTalk › NikeTalk Forums › The Lounge › Sports & Training › 2016 MLB thread. THE CUBS HAVE BROKEN THE CURSE! Chicago Cubs are your 2016 World Series champions.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2016 MLB thread. THE CUBS HAVE BROKEN THE CURSE! Chicago Cubs are your 2016 World Series champions. - Page 79  

post #2341 of 78800
Quote:
Originally Posted by abovelegit1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dland24

Bautista should be the MVP, and no one else is even close.


Pedroia is relatively close. 

The reason I disagree is because with that Red Sox team, there is no way anyone can say with certainty that any one of Pedroia, Gonzalez, Jacoby or Papi is more valuable than the other.....well maybe more valuable than Papi....but still.
post #2342 of 78800
Quote:
Originally Posted by abovelegit1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dland24

Bautista should be the MVP, and no one else is even close.


Pedroia is relatively close. 

The reason I disagree is because with that Red Sox team, there is no way anyone can say with certainty that any one of Pedroia, Gonzalez, Jacoby or Papi is more valuable than the other.....well maybe more valuable than Papi....but still.
post #2343 of 78800
When you factor in Bautista's below-average defense and Pedroia being one of the most valuable defensive players in the league at any position, I think that makes up for some of Bautista's offensive superiority. Right now I'd still probably go with Bautista but I don't think it's a landslide.
post #2344 of 78800
When you factor in Bautista's below-average defense and Pedroia being one of the most valuable defensive players in the league at any position, I think that makes up for some of Bautista's offensive superiority. Right now I'd still probably go with Bautista but I don't think it's a landslide.
post #2345 of 78800
i love Hunter Pence, no *$@$smiley: pimp
post #2346 of 78800
i love Hunter Pence, no *$@$smiley: pimp
post #2347 of 78800
Quote:
Originally Posted by dland24

Quote:
Originally Posted by abovelegit1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dland24

Bautista should be the MVP, and no one else is even close.


Pedroia is relatively close. 

The reason I disagree is because with that Red Sox team, there is no way anyone can say with certainty that any one of Pedroia, Gonzalez, Jacoby or Papi is more valuable than the other.....well maybe more valuable than Papi....but still.


So if he was on the Orioles he would be more qualified for consideration? No, because that would be illogical - a player's value to his club is determined by his own performance, not that of his teammates.

If you analyze the numbers and watch enough AL East baseball, one can determine that Pedroia is the most outstanding player on that team. The guy is putting up elite offensive numbers, while playing unbelievable defense at a premium position. Honestly, he's one of the best second basemen I've ever seen.

FTR, I loathe the Red Sox. And yes, I think Bautista is leading the race right now. 
post #2348 of 78800
Quote:
Originally Posted by dland24

Quote:
Originally Posted by abovelegit1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dland24

Bautista should be the MVP, and no one else is even close.


Pedroia is relatively close. 

The reason I disagree is because with that Red Sox team, there is no way anyone can say with certainty that any one of Pedroia, Gonzalez, Jacoby or Papi is more valuable than the other.....well maybe more valuable than Papi....but still.


So if he was on the Orioles he would be more qualified for consideration? No, because that would be illogical - a player's value to his club is determined by his own performance, not that of his teammates.

If you analyze the numbers and watch enough AL East baseball, one can determine that Pedroia is the most outstanding player on that team. The guy is putting up elite offensive numbers, while playing unbelievable defense at a premium position. Honestly, he's one of the best second basemen I've ever seen.

FTR, I loathe the Red Sox. And yes, I think Bautista is leading the race right now. 
post #2349 of 78800
Halladay 14-4 2.55 ERA
Hamels 12-6 2.62 ERA
Lee 11-7 2.96 ERA
Worley 7-1 2.33 ERA
Kendrick 6-5 3.19 ERA


hopefully Oswalt comes back (hopefully) Healthysmiley: sick because he had his era under 3...

smiley: pimpsmiley: pimpsmiley: pimp
post #2350 of 78800
Halladay 14-4 2.55 ERA
Hamels 12-6 2.62 ERA
Lee 11-7 2.96 ERA
Worley 7-1 2.33 ERA
Kendrick 6-5 3.19 ERA


hopefully Oswalt comes back (hopefully) Healthysmiley: sick because he had his era under 3...

smiley: pimpsmiley: pimpsmiley: pimp
post #2351 of 78800
I'm surprised Kendrick still has an ERA in the low 3's. Good for him though.
VIKINGS | TIMBERWOLVES | TWINS | MARINERS | HUSKIES | SHARKS
VIKINGS | TIMBERWOLVES | TWINS | MARINERS | HUSKIES | SHARKS
post #2352 of 78800
I'm surprised Kendrick still has an ERA in the low 3's. Good for him though.
VIKINGS | TIMBERWOLVES | TWINS | MARINERS | HUSKIES | SHARKS
VIKINGS | TIMBERWOLVES | TWINS | MARINERS | HUSKIES | SHARKS
post #2353 of 78800
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBalla09

Halladay 14-4 2.55 ERA
Hamels 12-6 2.62 ERA
Lee 11-7 2.96 ERA
Worley 7-1 2.33 ERA
Kendrick 6-5 3.19 ERA


hopefully Oswalt comes back (hopefully) Healthysmiley: sick because he had his era under 3...

smiley: pimpsmiley: pimpsmiley: pimp


What are they saying will happen when he does come back?

Because I wouldn't touch Worley, he is pitching great. Kendrick?

post #2354 of 78800
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBalla09

Halladay 14-4 2.55 ERA
Hamels 12-6 2.62 ERA
Lee 11-7 2.96 ERA
Worley 7-1 2.33 ERA
Kendrick 6-5 3.19 ERA


hopefully Oswalt comes back (hopefully) Healthysmiley: sick because he had his era under 3...

smiley: pimpsmiley: pimpsmiley: pimp


What are they saying will happen when he does come back?

Because I wouldn't touch Worley, he is pitching great. Kendrick?

post #2355 of 78800
Thread Starter 
I just think that they'll all lose votes to each other. I think Ellsbury and Pedroia will split votes and Gonzalez will get the bulk of em.

I hate Dustin Pedroia but he's a damn good baseball player.
post #2356 of 78800
Thread Starter 
I just think that they'll all lose votes to each other. I think Ellsbury and Pedroia will split votes and Gonzalez will get the bulk of em.

I hate Dustin Pedroia but he's a damn good baseball player.
post #2357 of 78800
Thread Starter 
Speak of the devil.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler [+]
With the trade deadline in the rear view mirror and a million baseball journalists needing something to talk about, the AL MVP discussion has been pushed front and center this week. It doesn’t hurt that there are about 14 Red Sox players in consideration for the award, either – the Boston media is notoriously loud, and interesting news stories about their team often tend to filter down to the national level.

In some ways, the current field of candidates is crowded; there are legitimately a lot of guys having seasons that can justify MVP votes in a normal season. In other ways, though, the various candidates are segregated into bins of candidate types that are not all that alike, and make it fairly easy for most people to pick a favorite based on their own perspective of what the MVP is.

Are you a traditionalist? Adrian Gonzalez is hitting .356, leads the league in RBIs, and plays for a first place team. He’s the classic model of what a league MVP has traditionally been. If you like RBIs and team win totals, you don’t have to look far to find your obvious candidate.

Did you grow up reading Bill James? Then you’re probably in the “best player should win
post #2358 of 78800
Thread Starter 
Speak of the devil.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler [+]
With the trade deadline in the rear view mirror and a million baseball journalists needing something to talk about, the AL MVP discussion has been pushed front and center this week. It doesn’t hurt that there are about 14 Red Sox players in consideration for the award, either – the Boston media is notoriously loud, and interesting news stories about their team often tend to filter down to the national level.

In some ways, the current field of candidates is crowded; there are legitimately a lot of guys having seasons that can justify MVP votes in a normal season. In other ways, though, the various candidates are segregated into bins of candidate types that are not all that alike, and make it fairly easy for most people to pick a favorite based on their own perspective of what the MVP is.

Are you a traditionalist? Adrian Gonzalez is hitting .356, leads the league in RBIs, and plays for a first place team. He’s the classic model of what a league MVP has traditionally been. If you like RBIs and team win totals, you don’t have to look far to find your obvious candidate.

Did you grow up reading Bill James? Then you’re probably in the “best player should win
post #2359 of 78800
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCuse7




What are they saying will happen when he does come back?

Because I wouldn't touch Worley, he is pitching great. Kendrick?



yeah KK is going back to the bullpen.

according to twitter. Francisco is probably going to get DFA when Oswalt gets activated on Sunday
post #2360 of 78800
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCuse7




What are they saying will happen when he does come back?

Because I wouldn't touch Worley, he is pitching great. Kendrick?



yeah KK is going back to the bullpen.

according to twitter. Francisco is probably going to get DFA when Oswalt gets activated on Sunday
post #2361 of 78800
The Reds have lost 26 one run games this year. 30t6p3bSick

On a positive note, Chapman's last 9 appearances... 2 hits, 2 walks, 17 k's, 0 runs. 
REDS/WILDCATS/BENGALS
NTWT
REDS/WILDCATS/BENGALS
NTWT
post #2362 of 78800
The Reds have lost 26 one run games this year. 30t6p3bSick

On a positive note, Chapman's last 9 appearances... 2 hits, 2 walks, 17 k's, 0 runs. 
REDS/WILDCATS/BENGALS
NTWT
REDS/WILDCATS/BENGALS
NTWT
post #2363 of 78800
Hopefully Aroldis can build up his arm in the off-season and give starting pitching a go. Obviously an incredibly fun player to watch.



Pretty sure the Fenway gun is juiced, but Colon was sitting mid to high 90s with his four seamer, seemingly with ease. Dude needs to put Mark Prior on. laugh.gif


And Strasburg is pitching in Hagerstown Sunday - really hope all goes well. I've never been 100% comfortable about his mechanics, though people who know better than me have said his are fine.
post #2364 of 78800
Hopefully Aroldis can build up his arm in the off-season and give starting pitching a go. Obviously an incredibly fun player to watch.



Pretty sure the Fenway gun is juiced, but Colon was sitting mid to high 90s with his four seamer, seemingly with ease. Dude needs to put Mark Prior on. laugh.gif


And Strasburg is pitching in Hagerstown Sunday - really hope all goes well. I've never been 100% comfortable about his mechanics, though people who know better than me have said his are fine.
post #2365 of 78800
^lol they are not "fine" he will not last.

I think he's big and strong enough where he can get like 2-3 years of injury free performance out of it but it will be all down hill from there, his body will turn up the volume on that torn labrum, mechanically he some where in between Kerry Wood and Mark Prior.

Said when I first saw him in college, arm action will simply not last, hope  fully he can change them completely like liriano did and prolong his career. 
Instagram. | just my art and photography. #NT will follow back. Also Flickr.
Instagram. | just my art and photography. #NT will follow back. Also Flickr.
post #2366 of 78800
^lol they are not "fine" he will not last.

I think he's big and strong enough where he can get like 2-3 years of injury free performance out of it but it will be all down hill from there, his body will turn up the volume on that torn labrum, mechanically he some where in between Kerry Wood and Mark Prior.

Said when I first saw him in college, arm action will simply not last, hope  fully he can change them completely like liriano did and prolong his career. 
Instagram. | just my art and photography. #NT will follow back. Also Flickr.
Instagram. | just my art and photography. #NT will follow back. Also Flickr.
post #2367 of 78800

Report: Players warned over deer spray

ESPN.com news services

MLB players have been issued a warning over the use of deer-antler spray, a substance administered under the tongue that includes a banned chemical known for its muscle-building and fat-cutting effects, SI.com has reported.

Players had felt free to use the spray at nearly no risk until the warning was sent last week by the league, the report said.

In its warning, issued in reaction to reports from the drug-testing industry, MLB requested players not use the spray because it contained "potentially contaminated nutritional supplements" and had been added to the league's cautionary list of products.

The warning was not issued because the spray includes the banned chemical, SI.com reported.

IGF-1, or insulin-like growth factor, can't be detected in the urine tests used by baseball, and the players' association has not come to an agreement with MLB on blood testing.

According to the report, scientists discovered IGF-1 in the velvet of immature deer antlers and players have been using it as an alternative to steroids.

The chemical is considered a performance-enhancer and its use is prohibited by baseball and the World Anti-Doping Agency, among other governing bodies. IGF-1 is said to mediate the level of human growth hormone in the body, SI.com reported.

MLB said in its warning that the spray can cause players to test positive for the banned steroid methyltestosterone, though it is not listed as an ingredient, the report said.

Among the benefits highlighted by manufacturers of the spray are "anabolic or growth stimulation," "athletic performance" and "muscular strength and endurance."




smiley: laughsmiley: laughsmiley: laugh


When S&T has that moment of clarity: "...we're grasping at straws talking about Spygate, Deflategate, the system, French kissing relatives, UGGs, Trump, etc." - @trey ohh five
When S&T has that moment of clarity: "...we're grasping at straws talking about Spygate, Deflategate, the system, French kissing relatives, UGGs, Trump, etc." - @trey ohh five
post #2368 of 78800

Report: Players warned over deer spray

ESPN.com news services

MLB players have been issued a warning over the use of deer-antler spray, a substance administered under the tongue that includes a banned chemical known for its muscle-building and fat-cutting effects, SI.com has reported.

Players had felt free to use the spray at nearly no risk until the warning was sent last week by the league, the report said.

In its warning, issued in reaction to reports from the drug-testing industry, MLB requested players not use the spray because it contained "potentially contaminated nutritional supplements" and had been added to the league's cautionary list of products.

The warning was not issued because the spray includes the banned chemical, SI.com reported.

IGF-1, or insulin-like growth factor, can't be detected in the urine tests used by baseball, and the players' association has not come to an agreement with MLB on blood testing.

According to the report, scientists discovered IGF-1 in the velvet of immature deer antlers and players have been using it as an alternative to steroids.

The chemical is considered a performance-enhancer and its use is prohibited by baseball and the World Anti-Doping Agency, among other governing bodies. IGF-1 is said to mediate the level of human growth hormone in the body, SI.com reported.

MLB said in its warning that the spray can cause players to test positive for the banned steroid methyltestosterone, though it is not listed as an ingredient, the report said.

Among the benefits highlighted by manufacturers of the spray are "anabolic or growth stimulation," "athletic performance" and "muscular strength and endurance."




smiley: laughsmiley: laughsmiley: laugh


When S&T has that moment of clarity: "...we're grasping at straws talking about Spygate, Deflategate, the system, French kissing relatives, UGGs, Trump, etc." - @trey ohh five
When S&T has that moment of clarity: "...we're grasping at straws talking about Spygate, Deflategate, the system, French kissing relatives, UGGs, Trump, etc." - @trey ohh five
post #2369 of 78800
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

^lol they are not "fine" he will not last.

I think he's big and strong enough where he can get like 2-3 years of injury free performance out of it but it will be all down hill from there, his body will turn up the volume on that torn labrum, mechanically he some where in between Kerry Wood and Mark Prior.

Said when I first saw him in college, arm action will simply not last, hope  fully he can change them completely like liriano did and prolong his career. 


Well I read something to other day where they said he's spoken to Roy and Liriano to try and get some help back when he was rehabbing.  I heard he has a pretty good 2 seamer now too to cut down on just throwing 4 seamers every pitch.  IDK, I'm hoping for the best with this kid.
post #2370 of 78800
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

^lol they are not "fine" he will not last.

I think he's big and strong enough where he can get like 2-3 years of injury free performance out of it but it will be all down hill from there, his body will turn up the volume on that torn labrum, mechanically he some where in between Kerry Wood and Mark Prior.

Said when I first saw him in college, arm action will simply not last, hope  fully he can change them completely like liriano did and prolong his career. 


Well I read something to other day where they said he's spoken to Roy and Liriano to try and get some help back when he was rehabbing.  I heard he has a pretty good 2 seamer now too to cut down on just throwing 4 seamers every pitch.  IDK, I'm hoping for the best with this kid.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sports & Training
This thread is locked  
NikeTalk › NikeTalk Forums › The Lounge › Sports & Training › 2016 MLB thread. THE CUBS HAVE BROKEN THE CURSE! Chicago Cubs are your 2016 World Series champions.