NikeTalk › NikeTalk Forums › The Lounge › Sports & Training › 2016 MLB thread. THE CUBS HAVE BROKEN THE CURSE! Chicago Cubs are your 2016 World Series champions.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2016 MLB thread. THE CUBS HAVE BROKEN THE CURSE! Chicago Cubs are your 2016 World Series champions. - Page 281

post #8401 of 77526
Quote:
Originally Posted by madj55 View Post

Can't wait til Sunday, I'll be at the game after driving down from Connecticut pimp.gif too hyped


you're driving to St. Louis or Atlanta?

post #8402 of 77526
Thread Starter 
laugh.gif let's give it to Miggy since he carried Austin Jackson, Prince Fielder, Justin Verlander, Max Scherzer and Doug Fister all on his own. Let's do that. And since the Tigers made the playoffs in the worst division in baseball, let's reward him even more! Not shouldering the load laugh.gif because leadoff men don't drive an entire offense as Jackson did for Detroit for 90% of the year.

Congrats to the A's, unbelievable especially considering how many games the A's have had started by rookies.
post #8403 of 77526
Yankees down 1-0 already. Got both streams going on in the office, not trying to sit in traffic on the way home and listen to the radio.
Straight Cash Homey
Reply
Straight Cash Homey
Reply
post #8404 of 77526
Rangers choke again laugh.gif They're done

The A's are a threat...Moneyball looks like it's back!
Ice Water in My Veins
Reply
Ice Water in My Veins
Reply
post #8405 of 77526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proshares View Post

laugh.gif let's give it to Miggy since he carried Austin Jackson, Prince Fielder, Justin Verlander, Max Scherzer and Doug Fister all on his own. Let's do that. And since the Tigers made the playoffs in the worst division in baseball, let's reward him even more! Not shouldering the load laugh.gif because leadoff men don't drive an entire offense as Jackson did for Detroit for 90% of the year.
Congrats to the A's, unbelievable especially considering how many games the A's have had started by rookies.

I see.
Instagram: thedynamics | Twitter: @thedynamics
Reply
Instagram: thedynamics | Twitter: @thedynamics
Reply
post #8406 of 77526

"Y u no hit these HR's yesterday?"

 

- James Shields

…Veni, Vidi, Vici...

Reply

…Veni, Vidi, Vici...

Reply
post #8407 of 77526
Amazing what Oakland did to win the division on the last day of the season.

Also, how helpful do you guys think this game will be for Kershaw in the NL CY Young race?
Team 49ers
Reply
Team 49ers
Reply
post #8408 of 77526
Thread Starter 
He'll just make it way more muddled laugh.gif he's in the conversation already.
post #8409 of 77526
Grandy just hitting bombs.

195 SO, .232 BA, .319 OBP sick.gif
post #8410 of 77526
how does the new wild card system work in the playoffs now?
References: [NT]
"Learn to be aware and conscious of your consciousness, and you will find who you really are."
Reply
References: [NT]
"Learn to be aware and conscious of your consciousness, and you will find who you really are."
Reply
post #8411 of 77526
1 game playoff on friday between the wild cards... winner moves to 5 game series with #1 seed.

knotted at 0 in STL... don't want no extras man.

congrats Miggy. pimp.gif
post #8412 of 77526
Thread Starter 
^ The two wild card teams play a one game playoff and then open AT HOME against the top seed but that's only this year. MLB approved the second WC after the schedule came out so to avoid more travel days, the DS is the first two on the road for the top teams and then the next 3 at home.
post #8413 of 77526
Congrats to miggy smokin.gif

Never thought I'd see it done, awesome season smokin.gif
Yanks Knicks Jets
Reply
Yanks Knicks Jets
Reply
post #8414 of 77526
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewearz View Post

Congrats to miggy smokin.gif
Never thought I'd see it done, awesome season smokin.gif

Agreed. Now just need a Triple Crown with horses and I've seen it all
TEAM ECONOMICS

From Smith to Friedman, we know what's up


Official Member of the Steeler Nation
IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII Champions
Reply
TEAM ECONOMICS

From Smith to Friedman, we know what's up


Official Member of the Steeler Nation
IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII Champions
Reply
post #8415 of 77526
As a life long Tigers fan witnessing this accomplishment by Miggy has been amazing. Now I just want to witness the Tigers win it all.
post #8416 of 77526
Congrats to Miggy hopefully he wins MVP, I know Trout had a great season, but Miggy has had great seasons for years and not won MVP, if a triple crown isn't good enough I don't know what is.
post #8417 of 77526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proshares View Post

laugh.gif let's give it to Miggy since he carried Austin Jackson, Prince Fielder, Justin Verlander, Max Scherzer and Doug Fister all on his own. Let's do that. And since the Tigers made the playoffs in the worst division in baseball, let's reward him even more! Not shouldering the load laugh.gif because leadoff men don't drive an entire offense as Jackson did for Detroit for 90% of the year.
Congrats to the A's, unbelievable especially considering how many games the A's have had started by rookies.

Let's give it to Trout since he runs from 1st to 3rd so well, while he steals bases in front of a loaded lineup. An offensive team in which the GM forgot that he needed a bullpen, which caused the team to be one of the, if not the most dissapointing team in baseball. Let's give it to Trout, a rookie who isn't even the leader of his own clubhouse. A kid can be a kid when not shouldering the burden of a dissapointing season. Let's reward a player in which the division winner is a team with heart and a small payroll, a band of misfits.

I could go all day.

Trout - Rookie of the Year glasses.gif and a Gold Glove for his stellar defense.

Miggy, Triple Crown pimp.gif, never thought I'd see it again... First time since 1967... Detroit Tigers Division Champs pimp.gif
Instagram: backyardlobo
Reply
Instagram: backyardlobo
Reply
post #8418 of 77526

Never thought I'd see a triple crown in my lifetime smokin.gif

You whole crew's ravishing, team's untouchable
In the jungle banging Nas, Mobb Deep and Wu
"My Ohhh My"
Reply
You whole crew's ravishing, team's untouchable
In the jungle banging Nas, Mobb Deep and Wu
"My Ohhh My"
Reply
post #8419 of 77526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elpablo21 View Post

Never thought I'd see a triple crown in my lifetime smokin.gif

This. Congrats Miguel.
Hip Hop is dead. There is no "savior".
Reply
Hip Hop is dead. There is no "savior".
Reply
post #8420 of 77526
congrats to miggy pimp.gif
Boston Bruins | New England Patriots | Boston Red Sox | Georgetown Hoyas | Michigan Wolverines |
Arsenal FC | Huevos Rancheros Hockey | USMNT
Reply
Boston Bruins | New England Patriots | Boston Red Sox | Georgetown Hoyas | Michigan Wolverines |
Arsenal FC | Huevos Rancheros Hockey | USMNT
Reply
post #8421 of 77526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elpablo21 View Post

Never thought I'd see a triple crown in my lifetime smokin.gif

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadsetAce View Post

congrats to miggy pimp.gif
post #8422 of 77526
Quote:
Let's give it to Trout since he runs from 1st to 3rd so well, while he steals bases in front of a loaded lineup.

 

He just had one of the greatest seasons in baseball history and you keep trying to downplay it by talking about running from 1st to 3rd.

 

 

Quote:
An offensive team in which the GM forgot that he needed a bullpen, which caused the team to be one of the, if not the most dissapointing team in baseball.

 

 

Wait, what? Which side are you arguing for again? Are you saying Trout should've applied for the GM position?

 

 

Quote:
Let's give it to Trout, a rookie who isn't even the leader of his own clubhouse.

 

 

Gimme a break with this leadership stuff. In baseball, it's right up there with "grit" and "heart" in terms of irrelevance.

 

"Hey Prince, go swing that bat really hard now! Justin, go hit 99 on the gun, whaddya say!"

 

Who cares.

 

 

Quote:
Let's reward a player in which the division winner is a team with heart and a small payroll, a band of misfits.

 

 

I... don't see what you're doing here. They won 94 games and had the 2nd best record in the league.


Edited by JD617 - 10/3/12 at 9:53pm
post #8423 of 77526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winged Wheel View Post

As a life long Tigers fan witnessing this accomplishment by Miggy has been amazing. Now I just want to witness the Tigers win it all.

my dad would be so proud of miggy right now, i bet he would be in tears. frown.giftired.gif
Lookin to get a discover card? Contact me and sign up under me and $100 FREE when you get approved. GET 10-15% cashback on NDC FNL FTL, etc etc
Reply
Lookin to get a discover card? Contact me and sign up under me and $100 FREE when you get approved. GET 10-15% cashback on NDC FNL FTL, etc etc
Reply
post #8424 of 77526
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD617 View Post

He just had one of the greatest seasons in baseball history and you keep trying to downplay it by talking about running from 1st to 3rd.
Quote:

Wait, what? Which side are you arguing for again? Are you saying Trout should've applied for the GM position?
Quote:

Gimme a break with this leadership stuff. In baseball, it's right up there with "grit" and "heart" in terms of irrelevance.

"Hey Prince, go swing that bat really hard now! Justin, go hit 99 on the gun, whaddya say!"

Who cares.
Quote:

I... don't see what you're doing here. They won 94 games and had the 2nd best record in the league.

Some things you got and some things went right over your head.

Curveballs laced with sarcasm. Trout had a great season, the knock on Miggy's season by all these saber metrics and new statistics fan boys is repulsive. I'm no traditionalist by any means. I like to see both sides. But when someone referred to the Triple Crown award as no big deal because 2 out of 3 categories are now meaningless. (I literally laughed my *** off).

You don't think team leadership is important? laugh.gif

That's why I can't fully get down with the saber metrics crew. All you see is numbers.

"Heart" is irrelevant, tell that to the A's, the Orioles, there's no statistic for "heart"... Saber crew doesn't believe in it because they can't measure it.

Leyland had a great interview on PTI. Sums it up nicely. Oh yeah, Trout would of made a better case for himself as a #2 hitter.

Can't measure intangibles wink.gif
Instagram: backyardlobo
Reply
Instagram: backyardlobo
Reply
post #8425 of 77526
Quote:
But when someone referred to the Triple Crown award as no big deal because 2 out of 3 categories are now meaningless. (I literally laughed my *** off).

 

But... they are. laugh.gif Well technically they're not just meaningless now, they always have been. The general public just didn't realize it until the past decade or so. And I highly doubt you literally laughed your *** off.

 

 

 

Quote:

You don't think team leadership is important? laugh.gif

That's why I can't fully get down with the saber metrics crew. All you see is numbers.

"Heart" is irrelevant, tell that to the A's, the Orioles, there's no statistic for "heart"... Saber crew doesn't believe in it because they can't measure it.

Leyland had a great interview on PTI. Sums it up nicely. Oh yeah, Trout would of made a better case for himself as a #2 hitter.

Can't measure intangibles wink.gif

 

If this were basketball, football, or hockey I'd agree with you. In baseball, team chemistry makes for a nice story but not much beyond that.

 

Let's say you're right though, let's say leadership in the clubhouse is crucial to winning. Are you or I even qualified to speak on their leadership capabilities? Are you in the clubhouse every day observing their leadership techniques? How would we even know beyond what the media tells us? It wasn't long ago that Cabrera was considered a bad apple. ****, just last year he was arrested because of his ongoing issues with alcohol. Is he a completely different person now or does his "leadership" just make for a nice story this year? And if he is a changed man, how exactly did that matter, considering he had just as good of a season last year, just without the snazzy Triple Crown. Did he sprinkle more of his magic camaraderie dust on his teammates this year?

post #8426 of 77526
Quote:
Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo View Post

Some things you got and some things went right over your head.
Curveballs laced with sarcasm. Trout had a great season, the knock on Miggy's season by all these saber metrics and new statistics fan boys is repulsive. I'm no traditionalist by any means. I like to see both sides. But when someone referred to the Triple Crown award as no big deal because 2 out of 3 categories are now meaningless. (I literally laughed my *** off).
You don't think team leadership is important? laugh.gif
That's why I can't fully get down with the saber metrics crew. All you see is numbers.
"Heart" is irrelevant, tell that to the A's, the Orioles, there's no statistic for "heart"... Saber crew doesn't believe in it because they can't measure it.
Leyland had a great interview on PTI. Sums it up nicely. Oh yeah, Trout would of made a better case for himself as a #2 hitter.
Can't measure intangibles wink.gif

JD answered well, but I'll add to the discussion.

No one is saying Cabrera had a poor season, he just didn't have as good a season as Trout. You don't need sabermetrics to see Trout is the best and most valuable player in the AL. Watch him hit. Watch him on the basepaths. Watch him play defense. You're saying all we see are numbers, yet you're the one whose basing your argument on three counting stats, and you're the one who apparently doesn't watch defense or base running.

Two out of the three categories are meaningless, at least in terms of performance evaluation. RBIs are important in the context of a game - that's it. It's foolish to use it as a means of evaluation because it's a statistic dependent on factors outside the control of a player, i.e whose getting on base and where in the lineup one is hitting. So why give credit for that? The batting average statistic isn't useless, but it's still very flawed. It uses ABs instead of plate appearances, so sacs, walks, HBPs aren't factored. And it values all hits the same. There are plenty of advanced metrics that are far better at illustrating hitting performance and value, but you'd just dismiss them because they're sabermetrics. Maybe it's because you'd rather use the same methods of evaluation in place since before we had digital scoreboards. LOL. You sound like a fan who still rates pitchers based on wins.

Leadership has it's importance from the managerial position, but from players it's of little to no importance, and certainly shouldn't be used in an MVP discussion. Pep talks aren't going to help you get a hit, or throw 90, or take the best route to a ball. And again, whose to say Trout's intangibles are lacking? You think that just because LAA didn't make the playoffs? LOL. Your argument has more holes than the Dodgers' lineup. Speaking of, I'm sure you were supporting Braun for MVP last season since he made the playoffs, right?

Congrats to the A's fans, btw. Not pleased about having to play Texas in a one-off, but score another for moneyball. pimp.gif
Edited by abovelegit1 - 10/4/12 at 2:28am
post #8427 of 77526
Pretty incredible that this is the first time for most us (except maybe onewearz) to have seen a Triple Crown winner.

Congrats Miggy, dope feat.
New York Yankees | New York Jets
Reply
New York Yankees | New York Jets
Reply
post #8428 of 77526
my 3rd ......
Yanks Knicks Jets
Reply
Yanks Knicks Jets
Reply
post #8429 of 77526
Thread Starter 
laugh.gif and you know last night I was tempted to ask him if it made him reminisce of Yaz laugh.gif

Ironman, I'll agree to disagree until after the playoffs laugh.gif then we can debate it some more. Rather us all enjoy this new format and the games that are sure to be top notch instead of dragging it down with the MVP talk all postseason laugh.gif
post #8430 of 77526
Quote:
Originally Posted by macbk View Post

Pretty incredible that this is the first time for most us (except maybe onewearz) to have seen a Triple Crown winner.
Congrats Miggy, dope feat.
TUMBLR | Instagr.am @decembersown21 | #NTwitter
Reply
TUMBLR | Instagr.am @decembersown21 | #NTwitter
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sports & Training
NikeTalk › NikeTalk Forums › The Lounge › Sports & Training › 2016 MLB thread. THE CUBS HAVE BROKEN THE CURSE! Chicago Cubs are your 2016 World Series champions.