So I saw Catching Fire yesterday night, a little buzzed, for the second time, and it was great. I always make sure to watch films I anticipate twice before I determine how I feel about it.
1. The actors are all great in their roles. The standouts for me are of course Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss, Stanley Tucci as Caesar, and whoever plays Effie
2.The visuals easily beats that of the first film. The moment in the first film in which Jennifer Lawrence's dress is supposed to catch fire looked incredibly cheesy. In this film, they have her do something similar, but looks 10 times better.
3. The actual Hunger Game section of it was also better than the first. The director for the first film used a shaky cam technique, most likely because they didn't want to show scenes of kids being killed, and it really was hard to capture what was going on. In this film, the director abandons that, and gives us great action sequences.
4. The film is 2 hrs and 30 minutes long, but it really doesn't feel that long due everything that's going on. It held my interest throughout the entire movie.
5. If there is one thing I didn't enjoy, it was the implication of Katniss actually falling for Peeta. In the books, it feels more understandable because the events take place from her point of view, and we know whats going on in her head, but in the film, it just doesn't feel real. I understand that she doesn't want the kid to die, but I don't see any reason on why she should like him instead of Gale, who she has known her whole life.
6. Although, I don't remember it fully, the movie pretty much remains faithful to the book.
With all that being said, it was a great film, even better after watching it the second time. However, due to the fact that the books take place in her point of view, and most of the things going on are in her head, a lot of things are left out which means that the films can never be good enough for me compared to the books. Based on that, I'd give it a 4 / 5