Originally Posted by Nickthestick91
Finally got the pics of the finished product of my Electric Green Trainers. (Click to enlarge.)Products used:Angelus Black Acrylic Leather PaintGolden Mediums GAC-900
(dilutes/makes the paint adhere to the fabric better)
Flat tipped paintbrush for the bulk of the tongue, fine-tipped paintbrush for around the tab and logo on the tongue.Process:1.
Mixed half paint, half GAC 900 and applied a THIN coat to the tongue. I eyeballed the mixture, didn't use any measuring instruments. I thought since the GAC was white that it would sort of make the paint a grey-ish color but that wasn't the case.2.
Allowed each coat to dry for 60-90 minutes before applying the next one. It took 4 coats total to get the tongue a nice, dark black.3.
After letting the paint dry completely for around 48 hours, I heat-set it. What heat-setting does is heat up the paint so that it penetrates further into the fabric and sort of locks in the color. The actual process of heat-setting was really simple:a.
Turn on your iron to medium heat. For me, this was the "Silk" setting. I originally had it set to "Synthetic" but it barely heated up.b.
Pop out the tongue, put it paint-side down on the ironing board.c.
Put a layer of 2 paper towels in between the iron and the tongue.d.
Leave the iron on the tongue for 8 minutes. Every minute or so I lifted the iron off of the tongue for like 15 seconds to sort of cool it off and prevent it from burning.e.
Keep the tongue popped out until it's fully cooled.4.
That's it. Very simple from start to finish.
I'm VERY pleased with how they turned out. The entire process took me around 6-8 hours to complete, with most of the time just dedicated to waiting for the previous coat of paint to dry before applying the next. It was a really easy project. Prior to this I'd never painted anything in my life besides in elementary school
I did get a bit of paint on the little tab on the left shoe, but it's not really noticeable. I tried removing it with acetone and rubbing alcohol with no luck. I was gonna paint the Swoosh black, but since there's little room for error on that part of the shoe and you can't remove the paint if you make a mistake I think I'm gonna hold off on that for now.
Only thing left to do now is wear em and see how the color holds up. Hope you guys enjoyed the pics/process.