Happy Memorial Day to all of our veterans and active military.
The big buzz going around the wrestling world right now is once again revolving around Brock Lesnar. What we know right now...
- Brock Lesnar texted Dana White around 10 days before UFC 146 asking if he could attend the show. He asked Dana to keep it quiet, which he did.
- WWE Extreme Rules did a disappointing buy rate (in terms of being Brock's first match back, and being Brock v Cena). The show did 147,000 US buys, 104,000 international buys, 251,000 total worldwide buys. The number was up from last year, specifically in the US, but the numbers overall are considered a large disappointment. This news would have been known internally in WWE just around the time Brock was in contact with Dana.
- Brock was at the show, but did not come out until just before the Junior Dos Santos v Frank Mir main event.
- Brock had a ring side seat and was shown on camera. No mention of WWE was made.
- At the press conference following the show, Dana was very excited about Brock being there. He said they would be meeting that night. He said he was open to working with Brock while he was in WWE, and he didn't care about how Brock was booked in WWE because UFC fans are smart enough to know the difference.
- Dana and Brock had a meeting that was said "to have not gone well".
That is about everything we know right now. There are a few things to think about.
- Is WWE involved in this or did Brock do this on his own? It's possible that WWE is involved to try and sell the angle of Brock being fired/quitting. It's also possible they saw the buy rate from Extreme Rules and wanted to try and generate buzz around Brock without actually having him on WWE TV.
- Is Brock's WWE deal exclusive? People have been questioning this, and if he would be able to fight in UFC while being under WWE contract? The answer to this is about 99% no. Vince would not allow this.
- Even when Brock was under UFC contract, he almost always refused to go to UFC shows. It takes a lot for Brock to leave his home. So what was he doing at Saturday's show? He doesn't do something like this unless there is a reason for it.
- What went on in the meeting with Brock and Dana? Many are speculating that Brock told Dana he wants to come back and fight, but can't until his WWE contract is up. Dana wanted him for the August 5 Fox show, so Dana was annoyed that Brock would show up and waste his time when he isn't available for another 9 months.
- Finally and most importantly... Will WWE acknowledge Brock being at UFC? If yes, then it's a very good sign that WWE was involved. I wouldn't put it out of the range of probability of WWE and UFC working together. But if WWE ignores it, then it was most likely Brock doing business for himself on Saturday. Either way, this is sure to be a very interesting story in the weeks to come.
We have talked about Jericho's suspension a lot in last week's thread. With him being out until late June, it means that Randy Orton needs a new opponent for No Way Out. We'll probably find that out tonight. We'll also find out what is going on with Kane. The bad news is, the early plan is to put Kane into the Daniel Bryan and CM Punk feud to have a 3 way at No Way Out. That's a horrible decision for wrestling fans as it really waters down a rematch that all wrestling fans were looking forward to. Maybe they'll make another Kane v Orton match instead now.
We'll also have the latest John Cena, Big Show, and John Laurinaitis. Cena is not allowed to put his hands on Laurinaitis, and Big Show knocked out Cena to end last week's show. To be honest, I really don't care about this one, so we'll just see what they do tonight.
Finally, the BIG announcement of the Revolution coming will be revealed tonight. Unfortunately, it's just for the WWE '13 video game which looks exactly the same as WWE '12.
And the big TV news this week is that TNA Impact will live at 8pm beginning this week. I know a lot of you guys watched last week's show. You can say what you will about TNA, but in the recent weeks, their product has been much better than WWE. I'm very excited to see what they do this week. Hopefully they can have a big summer.