NikeTalk › NikeTalk Forums › The Lounge › General › ***Official Political Discussion Thread***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***Official Political Discussion Thread*** - Page 1683

post #50461 of 53723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico x Hood View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyShackleford View Post

Claims to be selfish, yet doesn't vote the party that would help him the most because...................reasons

Dude is so full of it

Because they'd give my money to others. Plain and simple. And also people appreciate things they buy themselves then what's given.

But they give other people's money to you.

So you go to public schools, so you could pay for college, have nice roads to drive on, have clean water, to our employer so you have can cheap health insurance, and to your dad so he can treat his cancer.

Everyone benefits from government redistribution. So acting like you are the victim
post #50462 of 53723
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by whywesteppin View Post

What would've been more frugal would be not buying a gaming console.

Some families grow up without TVs. They also tend to be rich.

Sorry but if your family was struggling so bad that they couldn't afford an N64 in 2000 so instead went with a Sega, they probably weren't in a position to buy either.

They should've bought you some books instead.

Why buy books when library cards are so easy to obtain. I received a Genesis because I had wanted a console. My parents made it happen. Parents do that somstunes. And I didn't say they were frugal, I said they were pragmatic.
post #50463 of 53723
Why not just bekome an anarchist then?
RIP Francisco Izick Muñoz Jr
August 9, 2016 - September 25, 2016
Baby, we loved you since before you were born...we will love you even more now that you are gone
Reply
RIP Francisco Izick Muñoz Jr
August 9, 2016 - September 25, 2016
Baby, we loved you since before you were born...we will love you even more now that you are gone
Reply
post #50464 of 53723
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyShackleford View Post

But they give others peoples money to you. So you go to public schools, so you could pay for college, have nice roads to drive on, have clean water, to our employer so you have can cheap health insurance, and to your dad so he can treat his cancer.

Everyone benefits from government redistribution. So acting like you are the victim

I don't fight things like that. They happened before I was born. I fight even more government encroachment.
post #50465 of 53723
@Rico x Hood

You're a true Simple Jack.....if you think the govt providing basic necessities like healthcare and education are "handouts".
Ravens, O's, Nuggets, Jazz
Reply
Ravens, O's, Nuggets, Jazz
Reply
post #50466 of 53723
My mom bought me a Dreamcast by working overtime.

I bought myself an Xbox my shoveling snow during a Blizzard

Guess us liberals just love handouts
post #50467 of 53723
I brought my own 360, PS4, and XB1. Buncha peasants in here.
TEAM LAKERS | FLORIDA GATORS | LA RAMS
PSN: B1ackMambaK1ng | XBL: Gator Boy 24
DS KD VI Christmas Size 14 $120 shipped for Sale
DS LeBron 11 2K14 Size 15 $300 shipped for Sale
DS KD VI WTKD Size 14...
Reply
TEAM LAKERS | FLORIDA GATORS | LA RAMS
PSN: B1ackMambaK1ng | XBL: Gator Boy 24
DS KD VI Christmas Size 14 $120 shipped for Sale
DS LeBron 11 2K14 Size 15 $300 shipped for Sale
DS KD VI WTKD Size 14...
Reply
post #50468 of 53723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico x Hood View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyShackleford View Post

But they give others peoples money to you. So you go to public schools, so you could pay for college, have nice roads to drive on, have clean water, to our employer so you have can cheap health insurance, and to your dad so he can treat his cancer.

Everyone benefits from government redistribution. So acting like you are the victim

I don't fight things like that. They happened before I was born. I fight even more government encroachment.

roll.gifroll.gif

The stuff that helps me, I don't fight it

The stuff that might help others,I fight tooth and nail

Once again, you're full of it.
post #50469 of 53723
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiengambino View Post

I still haven't heard a good answer to why government deregulation will lead to less poverty and less problems.

Still waiting....


Shorty answer: people won't have anything to fall back on.
post #50470 of 53723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamba MVP View Post

I brought my own 360, PS4, and XB1. Buncha peasants in here.

6 months of salary for emergency health care: just right
$150 to buy an old N64: too expensive

it's fine though. i complained my way as a kid to hundreds of dollars of baseball cards. it's fine as a kid to indulge in some low-value toys.
TEAM GRAMMAR POLICE
whywesteppin - 23ska909red02 - KingLouisXIV - DS 530s Finest - sir hendrix - Rexanglorum - Kiddin Like Jason
Reply
TEAM GRAMMAR POLICE
whywesteppin - 23ska909red02 - KingLouisXIV - DS 530s Finest - sir hendrix - Rexanglorum - Kiddin Like Jason
Reply
post #50471 of 53723
I bought my Dreamcast flippin' burgers laugh.gif
YANKEES/GIANTS/KNICKS/USMNT/MUFC/BARÇA
Reply
YANKEES/GIANTS/KNICKS/USMNT/MUFC/BARÇA
Reply
post #50472 of 53723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico x Hood View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiengambino View Post

I still haven't heard a good answer to why government deregulation will lead to less poverty and less problems.

Still waiting....


Shorty answer: people won't have anything to fall back on.

What if they start stealing and committing crimes to feed themselves and support their families
post #50473 of 53723
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfTony View Post

I bought my Dreamcast flippin' burgers laugh.gif

Got all my jerseys, air force ones and tall tees from working a Chick Fil A. We Men.
TEAM LAKERS | FLORIDA GATORS | LA RAMS
PSN: B1ackMambaK1ng | XBL: Gator Boy 24
DS KD VI Christmas Size 14 $120 shipped for Sale
DS LeBron 11 2K14 Size 15 $300 shipped for Sale
DS KD VI WTKD Size 14...
Reply
TEAM LAKERS | FLORIDA GATORS | LA RAMS
PSN: B1ackMambaK1ng | XBL: Gator Boy 24
DS KD VI Christmas Size 14 $120 shipped for Sale
DS LeBron 11 2K14 Size 15 $300 shipped for Sale
DS KD VI WTKD Size 14...
Reply
post #50474 of 53723
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyShackleford View Post

roll.gifroll.gif

The stuff that helps me, I don't fight it

The stuff that might help others,I fight tooth and nail

Once again, you're full of it.
.

My last post in all this for today. It takes more energy to repeal laws then it does to kill bills. Plain and simple. I live in the world I was born into and I fight for the world K want it to become.

Cheers gentleman. I got **** to do.
post #50475 of 53723
I just sold drugs like my mans reagan n them...bought all types of **** smokin.gif
RIP Francisco Izick Muñoz Jr
August 9, 2016 - September 25, 2016
Baby, we loved you since before you were born...we will love you even more now that you are gone
Reply
RIP Francisco Izick Muñoz Jr
August 9, 2016 - September 25, 2016
Baby, we loved you since before you were born...we will love you even more now that you are gone
Reply
post #50476 of 53723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico x Hood View Post


.

My last post in all this for today. It takes more energy to repeal laws then it does to kill bills. Plain and simple. I live in the world I was born into and I fight for the world K want it to become.

Cheers gentleman. I got **** to do.


okay Delusional Rico 

PSN: imthebipolarbear / XBL: zBiPolarBear
 
 
Reply
PSN: imthebipolarbear / XBL: zBiPolarBear
 
 
Reply
post #50477 of 53723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamba MVP View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfTony View Post

I bought my Dreamcast flippin' burgers laugh.gif

Got all my jerseys, air force ones and tall tees from working a Chick Fil A. We Men.

While I was working at TJ Maxx for mine. I'll buy you a Playstation Rico 

CHELSEA F.C.
PHOENIX SUNS
ARIZONA WILDCATS
TENNESSEE TITANS
Reply
CHELSEA F.C.
PHOENIX SUNS
ARIZONA WILDCATS
TENNESSEE TITANS
Reply
post #50478 of 53723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico x Hood View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiengambino View Post

I still haven't heard a good answer to why government deregulation will lead to less poverty and less problems.

Still waiting....


Shorty answer: people won't have anything to fall back on.
That's not really an answer to how it would lead to less poverty and less problems.
LA Dodgers, Anaheim Angels, Anaheim Ducks, LA Galaxy, LA Lakers, Carolina Panthers smokin.gif

Follow me on Twitter @therantingazn
Reply
LA Dodgers, Anaheim Angels, Anaheim Ducks, LA Galaxy, LA Lakers, Carolina Panthers smokin.gif

Follow me on Twitter @therantingazn
Reply
post #50479 of 53723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico x Hood View Post


Shorty answer: people won't have anything to fall back on.


what the hell does this even mean?

PSN: imthebipolarbear / XBL: zBiPolarBear
 
 
Reply
PSN: imthebipolarbear / XBL: zBiPolarBear
 
 
Reply
post #50480 of 53723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico x Hood View Post

It takes more energy to repeal laws then it does to kill bills. Plain and simple.
Agreed. Now go tell the Republicans to stop talking about repealing the ACA.
TEAM GRAMMAR POLICE
whywesteppin - 23ska909red02 - KingLouisXIV - DS 530s Finest - sir hendrix - Rexanglorum - Kiddin Like Jason
Reply
TEAM GRAMMAR POLICE
whywesteppin - 23ska909red02 - KingLouisXIV - DS 530s Finest - sir hendrix - Rexanglorum - Kiddin Like Jason
Reply
post #50481 of 53723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico x Hood View Post


First off it's not my success. It's my parents. They worked hard. I'm workING hard. I'll never take their success as my own. And I believe that you all live in a world where you think everyone is supposed to be successful. That's not reality. There will always be winners and lowers. Haves and have not. For those that have kids or younger siblings or even someone you mentor,I'm sure you always have an example of a person that they should not become. It's life.

All these roadblocks and adversities that people need to overcome to flourish are just a part of life. But individuals can make it through without being on the tax payers teat. People have literally been doing for years.

The problem with you all is that you want to help EVERYBODY. And that's the flaw in liberal logic. Everybody is not meant to be successful, it's not a right,it's a privilege.

My future is very uncertain I still have no degree and not in the field I want. But my beliefs are what keep me going because I've seen it and lived it. At my age my parents were still living with theirs so I'm already ahead, or possibly behind depending on how you view the financial toll. But whatever. We create our own destinies and forge our own paths. Nobody should care about you more than you do.

I remember you saying you personally did well under Obama so I figured you were fairly successful. Depending on how you define it.

I would define successful as having a good job, not struggling to make ends meet, a good amount of savings in the event of emergency costs and having a decent social life. I see things like the ideal job or degree as milestones that can be attained after being successful already, not a prerequisite for being successful.

I agree that not everyone is meant to be successful, as you said that is not a realistic goal. The idea that being successful is a right is a mischaracterization of my views, and probably the views of others in this thread.

Instead, I think it's very important to push for a system that aims to provide equal opportunities to succeed to as many people as possibly, particularly the less fortunate.

What I mean by that is for example, low-cost education, a good healthcare system and improving systemic discrimination.

Those are not "handouts", those ideals are seen as basic rights over here because they aim to provide as many people as possible the same opportunities. Even by those who identify as far-right on the political spectrum.

Outrageous education costs do not benefit anyone but for-profit schools/colleges. As I've said before, the tuition for our top university is capped at €890 a year. Scholarships based on financial status can reduce that tuition to a mere €125 a year. On top of that you can also receive a student grant that can range up to €5000 and does not require to be paid back provided you follow the terms of service and complete your education.

This is to provide the opportunity to go to college/university for as many people as possible, which benefits everyone. But it especially benefits those who are struggling financially and who may not have pursued higher education if the costs were far too high. That gives them a chance to get a good degree and enter the job market for a higher paying job, thus increasing their odds to rise up the ranks in terms of financial status.

The same premise applies to a good healthcare system. Nobody benefits from a poor and outrageously expensive healthcare system besides the for-profit health industry. Anyone can get sick at any point without any prior indications. Myself for example, going from perfectly healthy to disabled in only 2-3 years. Ask yourself how more sick people, and on top of that more people spiralling down into poverty or financial struggle as a result of being sick and a poor healthcare system, benefits society. Hint: it doesn't.

 

A good universal healthcare system and low-cost education are not "handouts". They are basic rights that greatly benefit society as a whole.

It is not handing out success to people, it is providing them with more equal opportunities to succeed.

To argue otherwise is misplaced criticism.

 

As a final note, I wish you the best in your path to your definition of success. But I urge you to consider how those ideals benefit society as a whole.

post #50482 of 53723
Quote:
Originally Posted by seandon23 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico x Hood View Post

Shorty answer: people won't have anything to fall back on.


what the hell does this even mean?
No one knows what it means but it's provocative.
post #50483 of 53723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colombia View Post

I remember you saying you personally did well under Obama so I figured you were fairly successful. Depending on how you define it.
I would define successful as having a good job, not struggling to make ends meet, a good amount of savings in the event of emergency costs and having a decent social life. I see things like the ideal job or degree as milestones that can be attained after being successful already, not a prerequisite for being successful.
I agree that not everyone is meant to be successful, as you said that is not a realistic goal. The idea that being successful is a right is a mischaracterization of my views, and probably the views of others in this thread.
Instead, I think it's very important to push for a system that aims to provide equal opportunities to succeed to as many people as possibly, particularly the less fortunate.
What I mean by that is for example, low-cost education, a good healthcare system and improving systemic discrimination.
Those are not "handouts", those ideals are seen as basic rights
over here because they aim to provide as many people as possible the same opportunities. Even by those who identify as far-right on the political spectrum.
Outrageous education costs do not benefit anyone but for-profit schools/colleges. As I've said before, the tuition for our top university is capped at €890 a year. Scholarships based on financial status can reduce that tuition to a mere €125 a year. On top of that you can also receive a student grant that can range up to €5000 and does not require to be paid back provided you follow the terms of service and complete your education.
This is to provide the opportunity to go to college/university for as many people as possible, which benefits everyone. But it especially benefits those who are struggling financially and who may not have pursued higher education if the costs were far too high. That gives them a chance to get a good degree and enter the job market for a higher paying job, thus increasing their odds to rise up the ranks in terms of financial status.
The same premise applies to a good healthcare system. Nobody benefits from a poor and outrageously expensive healthcare system besides the for-profit health industry. Anyone can get sick at any point without any prior indications. Myself for example, going from perfectly healthy to disabled in only 2-3 years. Ask yourself how more sick people, and on top of that more people spiralling down into poverty or financial struggle as a result of being sick and a poor healthcare system, benefits society. Hint: it doesn't.

A good universal healthcare system and low-cost education are not "handouts". They are basic rights that greatly benefit society as a whole.
It is not handing out success to people, it is providing them with more equal opportunities to succeed.
To argue otherwise is misplaced criticism.

As a final note, I wish you the best in your path to your definition of success. But I urge you to consider how those ideals benefit society as a whole.


Doubt dude responds to this REASONABLE post.
Ravens, O's, Nuggets, Jazz
Reply
Ravens, O's, Nuggets, Jazz
Reply
post #50484 of 53723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico x Hood View Post

You all call me selfish like it's an insult. Yes,I am. I'm out for self in this world. I have no spouse or children. It's about being pragmatic. A major key to success. 

 

I think it's the lazy way to success. The selfish people that I have the misfortune of working with are easily the worst. 


Edited by Boris - 1/11/17 at 2:13pm
post #50485 of 53723
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colombia View Post

I remember you saying you personally did well under Obama so I figured you were fairly successful. Depending on how you define it.
I would define successful as having a good job, not struggling to make ends meet, a good amount of savings in the event of emergency costs and having a decent social life. I see things like the ideal job or degree as milestones that can be attained after being successful already, not a prerequisite for being successful.
I agree that not everyone is meant to be successful, as you said that is not a realistic goal. The idea that being successful is a right is a mischaracterization of my views, and probably the views of others in this thread.
Instead, I think it's very important to push for a system that aims to provide equal opportunities to succeed to as many people as possibly, particularly the less fortunate.
What I mean by that is for example, low-cost education, a good healthcare system and improving systemic discrimination.
Those are not "handouts", those ideals are seen as basic rights over here because they aim to provide as many people as possible the same opportunities. Even by those who identify as far-right on the political spectrum.
Outrageous education costs do not benefit anyone but for-profit schools/colleges. As I've said before, the tuition for our top university is capped at €890 a year. Scholarships based on financial status can reduce that tuition to a mere €125 a year. On top of that you can also receive a student grant that can range up to €5000 and does not require to be paid back provided you follow the terms of service and complete your education.
This is to provide the opportunity to go to college/university for as many people as possible, which benefits everyone. But it especially benefits those who are struggling financially and who may not have pursued higher education if the costs were far too high. That gives them a chance to get a good degree and enter the job market for a higher paying job, thus increasing their odds to rise up the ranks in terms of financial status.
The same premise applies to a good healthcare system. Nobody benefits from a poor and outrageously expensive healthcare system besides the for-profit health industry. Anyone can get sick at any point without any prior indications. Myself for example, going from perfectly healthy to disabled in only 2-3 years. Ask yourself how more sick people, and on top of that more people spiralling down into poverty or financial struggle as a result of being sick and a poor healthcare system, benefits society. Hint: it doesn't.

A good universal healthcare system and low-cost education are not "handouts". They are basic rights that greatly benefit society as a whole.
It is not handing out success to people, it is providing them with more equal opportunities to succeed.
To argue otherwise is misplaced criticism.

As a final note, I wish you the best in your path to your definition of success. But I urge you to consider how those ideals benefit society as a whole.

That sounds nice. But that ain't how it is in America. The government should not GIVE these things. If you want to go to college work for it and get a scholarship,pay for it if you have the means,or take a loan. Health insurance is a necessity and should be in everyone's budget. As far as systemic influences that disenfranchise people, then you have to work twice as hard. I'm sure many others in here especially black people were taught the same thing. You become successful then you change the game. You sit and complain and you'll get nothing. Activism is not just about protesting and lobbying it's also also about putting yourself in a position to be heard and taken seriously.

This is my final post of today. I only came back because I saw how expansive yours was and it needn't be ignored.

And thank you for your well wishes. You are by far the most cordial person in this thread. Though we disagree I hope we can continue this genial dialogue and set an example.
post #50486 of 53723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico x Hood View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colombia View Post

I remember you saying you personally did well under Obama so I figured you were fairly successful. Depending on how you define it.
I would define successful as having a good job, not struggling to make ends meet, a good amount of savings in the event of emergency costs and having a decent social life. I see things like the ideal job or degree as milestones that can be attained after being successful already, not a prerequisite for being successful.
I agree that not everyone is meant to be successful, as you said that is not a realistic goal. The idea that being successful is a right is a mischaracterization of my views, and probably the views of others in this thread.
Instead, I think it's very important to push for a system that aims to provide equal opportunities to succeed to as many people as possibly, particularly the less fortunate.
What I mean by that is for example, low-cost education, a good healthcare system and improving systemic discrimination.
Those are not "handouts", those ideals are seen as basic rights over here because they aim to provide as many people as possible the same opportunities. Even by those who identify as far-right on the political spectrum.
Outrageous education costs do not benefit anyone but for-profit schools/colleges. As I've said before, the tuition for our top university is capped at €890 a year. Scholarships based on financial status can reduce that tuition to a mere €125 a year. On top of that you can also receive a student grant that can range up to €5000 and does not require to be paid back provided you follow the terms of service and complete your education.
This is to provide the opportunity to go to college/university for as many people as possible, which benefits everyone. But it especially benefits those who are struggling financially and who may not have pursued higher education if the costs were far too high. That gives them a chance to get a good degree and enter the job market for a higher paying job, thus increasing their odds to rise up the ranks in terms of financial status.
The same premise applies to a good healthcare system. Nobody benefits from a poor and outrageously expensive healthcare system besides the for-profit health industry. Anyone can get sick at any point without any prior indications. Myself for example, going from perfectly healthy to disabled in only 2-3 years. Ask yourself how more sick people, and on top of that more people spiralling down into poverty or financial struggle as a result of being sick and a poor healthcare system, benefits society. Hint: it doesn't.

A good universal healthcare system and low-cost education are not "handouts". They are basic rights that greatly benefit society as a whole.
It is not handing out success to people, it is providing them with more equal opportunities to succeed.
To argue otherwise is misplaced criticism.

As a final note, I wish you the best in your path to your definition of success. But I urge you to consider how those ideals benefit society as a whole.

That sounds nice. But that ain't how it is in America. The government should not GIVE these things. If you want to go to college work for it and get a scholarship,pay for it if you have the means,or take a loan. Health insurance is a necessity and should be in everyone's budget. As far as systemic influences that disenfranchise people, then you have to work twice as hard. I'm sure many others in here especially black people were taught the same thing. You become successful then you change the game. You sit and complain and you'll get nothing. Activism is not just about protesting and lobbying it's also also about putting yourself in a position to be heard and taken seriously.

This is my final post of today. I only came back because I saw how expansive yours was and it needn't be ignored.

And thank you for your well wishes. You are by far the most cordial person in this thread. Though we disagree I hope we can continue this genial dialogue and set an example.

Start with yourself
post #50487 of 53723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico x Hood View Post


That sounds nice. But that ain't how it is in America. The government should not GIVE these things. If you want to go to college work for it and get a scholarship,pay for it if you have the means,or take a loan. Health insurance is a necessity and should be in everyone's budget. As far as systemic influences that disenfranchise people, then you have to work twice as hard. I'm sure many others in here especially black people were taught the same thing. You become successful then you change the game. You sit and complain and you'll get nothing. Activism is not just about protesting and lobbying it's also also about putting yourself in a position to be heard and taken seriously.


The problem with your viewpoint is how short and narrow-minded it is. Look at what you said, how are people who are less off supposed to get ahead if they do not have the money or access to these things education and health insurance are basic NECESSITIES that should be afforded to all people so that it can help them prosper. Stop with this whole work hard nonsense because even though that is one aspect it isn't enough to help people get ahead in life there are many socioeconomic aspects to this you NEVER take into account only using anecdotal evidence as a barometer to judge others on. Its delusional and very, very narrow-minded. This is why the government is in place to help people achieve those things and once people are able to have these things they can earn higher wage jobs and with those jobs invest in the economy making it stronger and helping the government to support people through government redistribution as Rusty said. Your selfish attitude is a literal cancer when it comes to the mindset of politics because it holds all of us back and only exacerbates the problems we face.

 

Systematic racism is a major problem as well, we should speak out against discrimination and we should not have our rights impeded upon. But again how are people of color supposed to be heard if government does not care about them? As a black man the fact that you support the GOP, who want to enact harsher voting laws to limit people of color's participation in government is a direct problem to this. You turn your back to this and blame people saying they should "work harder" instead of looking at the cause of problem, its hypocritical for you to say and shows your lack of understanding on the problem especially when this was brought up during the elections when we talked about people's voting rights.

PSN: imthebipolarbear / XBL: zBiPolarBear
 
 
Reply
PSN: imthebipolarbear / XBL: zBiPolarBear
 
 
Reply
post #50488 of 53723

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rico x Hood View Post


Shorty answer: people won't have anything to fall back on.

 

This answer reminds me of that same cop I mentioned in a previous post voiced the same kind of statement that people who are criminals shouldn't be on gov't assistance and it should be stripped of them once they commit a crime and I asked him, similar to the question that was asked last page, what basically nothing else to lose, don't you think these people will end up committing harsher crimes to make ends meet?

 

It's a dangerous thought to just remove what is keeping somebody getting by and leaving them with nothing. People who are starving to death will lose their humanity and begin to look at the next man as the next meal.

 

 
 
You're obviously decently intelligent so your either purposely avoiding admitting that what you are saying will not work for everybody because of pride or ego. If it's not that I would have to assume that, in other areas your intelligence shines in this one it's a lil dim. You say insurance "should be in everyone's budget" but it can't be. Everyone cannot afford insurance on top of their regular day to day expenses. I went without car insurance for a good deal of time and had not a single solitary extra dollar to put toward anything. I talk to people day to day about their income and their expenses when they want help with their mortgages and I have spoken to so many people who cannot afford insurance, cannot get insurance, or don't have any unencumbered income to put toward savings or insurance. Your solution only fits a certain demographic and again is not an end all. I don't understand why admitting that is so tragic for you. And it's not about success, it's about reality. Your family did it but it won't work for everyone
post #50489 of 53723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico x Hood View Post


That sounds nice. But that ain't how it is in America. The government should not GIVE these things. If you want to go to college work for it and get a scholarship,pay for it if you have the means,or take a loan. Health insurance is a necessity and should be in everyone's budget. As far as systemic influences that disenfranchise people, then you have to work twice as hard. I'm sure many others in here especially black people were taught the same thing. You become successful then you change the game. You sit and complain and you'll get nothing. Activism is not just about protesting and lobbying it's also also about putting yourself in a position to be heard and taken seriously.

This is my final post of today. I only came back because I saw how expansive yours was and it needn't be ignored.

And thank you for your well wishes. You are by far the most cordial person in this thread. Though we disagree I hope we can continue this genial dialogue and set an example.

Working harder in the face of systemic discrimination is a given. But that doesn't mean steps shouldn't be taken to improve that system.

If something is obviously broken and is putting roadblocks on the road for people, it should be improved instead of dismissing it as just the way life works. While reaching the upper ranks and using that to influence systemic flaws, you can also work harder and protest at the same time. And activism has been shown to produce results, though not always of course. It is also up to those in government who do have the power to influence improvements to take action.

As for college, I get that it's a controversial topic in the US but I think that the facts support a low-cost education system being more beneficial to society as a whole by providing more equal opportunities to the less fortunate. I think it would be a very tough case to make an argument for sky-high college tuition costs and massive student debt being more beneficial than a low-cost education system. But evidently that is not a problem that will find a solution any time soon.

As you've probably noticed I strongly dislike conflict, and generally approach discussions with a cordial attitude regardless of disagreements. Though admittedly Ninja can invoke some frustration and less cordial responses at times :lol

post #50490 of 53723
Quote:
Originally Posted by seandon23 View Post


The problem with your viewpoint is how short and narrow-minded it is. Look at what you said, how are people who are less off supposed to get ahead if they do not have the money or access to these things education and health insurance are basic NECESSITIES that should be afforded to all people so that it can help them prosper. Stop with this whole work hard nonsense because even though that is one aspect it isn't enough to help people get ahead in life there are many socioeconomic aspects to this you NEVER take into account only using anecdotal evidence as a barometer to judge others on. Its delusional and very, very narrow-minded. This is why the government is in place to help people achieve those things and once people are able to have these things they can earn higher wage jobs and with those jobs invest in the economy making it stronger and helping the government to support people through government redistribution as Rusty said. Your selfish attitude is a literal cancer when it comes to the mindset of politics because it holds all of us back and only exacerbates the problems we face.

Systematic racism is a major problem as well, we should speak out against discrimination and we should not have our rights impeded upon. But again how are people of color supposed to be heard if government does not care about them? As a black man the fact that you support the GOP, who want to enact harsher voting laws to limit people of color's participation in government is a direct problem to this. You turn your back to this and blame people saying they should "work harder" instead of looking at the cause of problem, its hypocritical for you to say and shows your lack of understanding on the problem especially when this was brought up during the elections when we talked about people's voting rights.

Well said.

This is what that Simple Jack @Rico x Hood needs to hear.

He will flat out ignore or deflect all of this though. Smh
Ravens, O's, Nuggets, Jazz
Reply
Ravens, O's, Nuggets, Jazz
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General
NikeTalk › NikeTalk Forums › The Lounge › General › ***Official Political Discussion Thread***