Originally Posted by Rexanglorum
I have a few replies to no one in particular, just some observations based on the last few pages.
- Making 400k per year makes you a well off person, there is not going to be a lot of sympathy when your income is about ten times that of the national median. With that said, certain professionals and small business owners (actual small business owners, not multimillionaires who claim to be small business owners) probably do have to shoulder too much of the national tax burden. The reason for this is that people who make millions and even hundreds of millions, pay the same rate as a person who makes 500k (and in most cases the man who makes 100 millions pays less because her made it through capital gains). Upper-middle class folks spend too much time blaming low income people for their high taxes and they ignore the low taxes paid by the super rich.
- Republicans are always talking about the bad old days of the 70% or 90% tax rate. I have relatives who were making a lot of money back in the 1950's and they said that it broke down like this: You could cash out and keep 10 cents on the dollar or you could reinvest the profits, take the myriad deductions and credits and pay 40 cents on the dollar and invest the rest of the money back into the company. You make workers better off and you even make your own heirs richer by doing so. In other words, the nominally high tax rates from the 1950's were not anti-business, they existed to discourage the vulture and casino capitalism that has wrecked our economy in recent years.
- Conservatives need to stop saying that abortion is anti-black. All conservatives and even many liberals say that people should not have kids until they are financially ready to pay for those kids. For reasons related to our history, black people have lower income and fewer assets than their white counter parts (same education level and same age). the fact that black folks get abortions at a higher rate means that they are following Republican family planning advice. Most adults have sex, not all adults can have their mom and dad help to pay for the baby. Conservatives want to ban abortion and contraceptives, conservatives believe that only wealthy people should have kids. Thus we can conclude that conservatives believe that poor folks should commit to lives of celibacy.
- I am genuinely conflicted when it comes to Israel, I side with victims and while Israel has generally been a bully as of late, I cannot forget that it was founded by Holocaust survivors and that much of the World is rabidly anti Jewish. Future American Presidents, of either Party, must, on the one hand, tell Israel that we will always back up its right to exist. On the other hand we must leverage Israel into being much more humane towards its neighbors and we really need to smack back future attempts by any Israeli politician to give a lecture to our Congress.
- I am somewhat skeptical about this KKK outing. There is no doubt that white Supremacy pervades our politics. From city council meetings where middle aged Soccer Moms complain about "thugs" to our current White House (Yes, Obama and Hillary Clinton are, to some degree, white supremacists). However, most political actors, even conservatives southerners, know that one should never join or associate with the KKK. In fact, the KKK is the institutional scapegoat for the white supremacists in politics. The bargain is that so long as one is not wearing white or red or purple sheets and burning crosses, one is not a racist. You can talk all you want about Thugs and lament the lack of work ethic in the inner city, as long as you are not a grand wizard.
As with all things in politics, we shall just have to wait and see.