NikeTalk › NikeTalk Forums › The Kicks › Jordan Brand › JB release numbers now reflect the hype for the shoe/colorway...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

JB release numbers now reflect the hype for the shoe/colorway...

post #1 of 190
Thread Starter 

My source has given me some interesting info... JB has a new way of marketing or deciding how many pairs of a certain shoe will drop... This is how it works... JB starts production on a shoe, then once info drops, they have put together a team to watch and measure the hype for a shoe, depending on the hype of the shoe they will then change the release date to produce more or only ship out half of the amount that was produced and do a re release, or change something on the shoe to make it a different shoe...

 

Raptor 7's dropped and instead of having pairs sit on shelves and take away from other releases, they only sent half of them out, and saved the other half for a second release...

 

Olive 9's were supposed to be a limited GR (no kids) but after judging hype they only sent out half of the produced amount, my source says he has seen them sitting in a warehouse... (so expect more of them soon)

 

Thunder 4's - The thunder 4's had a great hype measurement, more than what JB expected, so they changed the release date to buy a few weeks to produce more and to insure they would sell they made them a holiday shoe....

 

Bred 13's are supposed to be a GR and they are only sending out half of the produced amount, so most stores wont have as many as you think..

 

88 Retro 3's - now I don't know what to think about this.... My source confirmed that this shoe was the first shoe that the (hype measure team) was assigned to when it came out no to long ago.... My source didn't say this (his exact words were don't trust them Nike Air 3's) but by them coming out so fast, I am willing to bet this is the same exact shoe with a logo change, which falls under change something on a shoe to make it better and sell for more profit.......

 

My source says that release date changes and second drop dates are going to be way more common in 2013..

post #2 of 190
Thanks for the info man
Looking to buy in a size 13/14: Dunks: Sharks, Barfs, Heinekens, Boba Fetts, Storm troopers, and Black UCS

Twitter/IG ---> magic_carpet94
Reply
Looking to buy in a size 13/14: Dunks: Sharks, Barfs, Heinekens, Boba Fetts, Storm troopers, and Black UCS

Twitter/IG ---> magic_carpet94
Reply
post #3 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamuekcmo View Post

 

My source says that release date changes and second drop dates are going to be way more common in 2013..

 

I would think that this is a step in the right direction, assuming they continue to produce enough pairs for the majority of the people to cop. Thanks for the info.

For Trade:

 

DS Jordan Retro 1 OG Hi White/Black - Size 10.5

Reply

For Trade:

 

DS Jordan Retro 1 OG Hi White/Black - Size 10.5

Reply
post #4 of 190
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsexyvic View Post

 

I would think that this is a step in the right direction, assuming they continue to produce enough pairs for the majority of the people to cop. Thanks for the info.

I believe this is a step that will go against the resellers, once people realize that they may have a shot at a 2nd release date a few months down the road, who will still pay reseller prices...

post #5 of 190

This sounds about right, remember guys NIKE is publicly traded company who's responsibility is to the shareholder's first, not to our sneaker subculture, they could care less about pleasing and accommodating the needs of a select few in the "shoe game".

 

They are most concerned with improving the margins, revenue, eps and roe

 

the best way to do that is by what they continue to do, which is re-release shoes that they are making small changes to every several years, so the same people will buy them again, this actually benefits Nike, rather than investing in r&d of new technology that may not received well by the public.

 

Always remember that

post #6 of 190

again nike would be foolish to get rid of resellers since they help create the hype and buy multiple pairs. if they want to take away that part of their customer base it would be pure stupidity on nikes part.

post #7 of 190
sounds believable, hope the continue to re-release shoes in the future.
post #8 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamuekcmo View Post

I believe this is a step that will go against the resellers, once people realize that they may have a shot at a 2nd release date a few months down the road, who will still pay reseller prices...


Actually this should not affect resellers at all, Nike's last concern is resellers and how much they sell their products for, resellers actually help bring attention to the brand and certain shoes that they release.

 

The only thing that will ultimately affect resellers are buyers, if people would not put such a high demand on a particular product the price of said product will eventually fall.

 

Basic economics

post #9 of 190
So what's up with a Jordan 11 restock or have I missed it nerd.gif
post #10 of 190

I didn't know when someone was going to leak this, but I have also heard very similar information on almost every point made from a similar type of source.  If there are people out there that just think the raptor 7 is an unsuccessful sell and a bad example, then they will be back in here within 8 weeks saying, "you damn right KCMO, I can't believe that just happened."

 

Now I hadn't heard the part about the WC3's being the 2011 model, saved and changed, and from my knowledge this new business model hadn't started to come into play until 2012 had already started, but that very well could be so.  Which would really suck, but make sense at the same time.  Now my fear is that when the CHICAGO 1's get their NIKE AIR treatment it will be these trash quality pairs I just skipped mean.gif

post #11 of 190
This sounds about right. I have spoke with some district managers and both have helped me in the past by saying stay tuned for restocks. They restock small amounts to see what will happen hence the "some are sitting in a warehouse." I'm telling you guys. Look for a black cement 3 with the nike air and an original colorway for the cement 4 in about a year. JB is testing things!!
post #12 of 190
appreciate the info OP

i think you posted some legit info before so i trust you
post #13 of 190
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nawghtyhare View Post

So what's up with a Jordan 11 restock or have I missed it nerd.gif

I highly doubt that because they produced half a million pairs.... But I can say that yesterday I was doing some shopping at my local mom and pops store and they have always had crazy lines for Jordans, I was even in the line when the bred 11's dropped to get them for my kids, I'm 100% sure they sold out that day... But I was there yesterday and they had almost a FSR in GS, toddlers, and had all sizes in men except for 11, he said they got a shipment later this past Monday.... nerd.gif

post #14 of 190
would be real nice if they restocked the bred 11 next week since its an off week for jb retros
post #15 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikehead View Post

This sounds about right, remember guys NIKE is publicly traded company who's responsibility is to the shareholder's first, not to our sneaker subculture, they could care less about pleasing and accommodating the needs of a select few in the "shoe game".

 

They are most concerned with improving the margins, revenue, eps and roe

 

the best way to do that is by what they continue to do, which is re-release shoes that they are making small changes to every several years, so the same people will buy them again, this actually benefits Nike, rather than investing in r&d of new technology that may not received well by the public.

 

Always remember that

This..

@dashoefreak I don't think Nike/JB really concerns themselves with the re-sellers purchase practice as it's somewhat controlled on NDC and other retailers buy their shoes from Nike/JB directly.

post #16 of 190

That's an extremely smart Operational Business model. 

 

Considering the hype and culture around J's overall, this almost eliminates or in the least, reduces stress on production numbers and meeting retailer demands.

 

Test the waters (and still sell out) with a few hundred thousand pairs, then hit 'em with the heeeee months later. OR the little restock trickles they've been doing. That's how I copped by CG IX's and MBJ IX's. happy.gif

 

Nice Post OP glasses.gif

Flickr

La Formula Perfecta

blog -> corruptsoles

 

 

 

Reply

Flickr

La Formula Perfecta

blog -> corruptsoles

 

 

 

Reply
post #17 of 190
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquatchNT View Post

This..

@dashoefreak I don't think Nike/JB really concerns themselves with the re-sellers purchase practice as it's somewhat controlled on NDC and other retailers buy their shoes from Nike/JB directly.

yes, that is true... I think they are more concerned that they can make double and triple what JB can make.... I know if I had some type of company and I paid to have something produced, paid for a factory, materials, marketing, shipping, and whatever else... and someone took what I put all my hard work into and flipped it for double or triple what I got only a few hours after they got it from my company..... I would be pissed....

post #18 of 190
KCMO....this reminds me of the good ole days when people actually broke inside info for the community! Not jus sitting on it an telling their friends an close circle! Im sure there are PLENTY of people who knew that info an aint share it. Sittin back hatin like I already knew that! Well brotha yo Rep should be in the hundreds for the inside info YOU have been havin the balls to put out no matter if its exposes your source! THANKS! Keep it coming.....smokin.gif

YOU GOT 2 EARS AN 1 MOUTH

An thats to listen more than u speak!

Im not a "sneakerhead" just been my WAY OF LIFE since I scored my first "Military 4's" in 89'

Reply

YOU GOT 2 EARS AN 1 MOUTH

An thats to listen more than u speak!

Im not a "sneakerhead" just been my WAY OF LIFE since I scored my first "Military 4's" in 89'

Reply
post #19 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamuekcmo View Post

yes, that is true... I think they are more concerned that they can make double and triple what JB can make.... I know if I had some type of company and I paid to have something produced, paid for a factory, materials, marketing, shipping, and whatever else... and someone took what I put all my hard work into and flipped it for double or triple what I got only a few hours after they got it from my company..... I would be pissed....


Yes, thats understandable, but the products that Nike produces and distributes to its retailers does not command the price points that resellers are receiving for them.

 

If Nike tried to sell any of their product at the price point that resellers sell for, they would see a large drop in revenues and consumer would turn to other brands

post #20 of 190
Isn't this how it always worked? At least in regards to having reps keep tabs on the web and all the hype following info release...

The production setup is new to me but to be honest Nike, Reebok, Adidas etc...all have people who watch the boards...

At the very least this ensures that at some point we will get regular drops of info on future releases...
Bone...Crushin'...Smooth...Kicks...Blades...Choppin'...Through...Bricks...Master of the weaponry sells to both cliques...Blacksmith, with the IRON FISTS...
Reply
Bone...Crushin'...Smooth...Kicks...Blades...Choppin'...Through...Bricks...Master of the weaponry sells to both cliques...Blacksmith, with the IRON FISTS...
Reply
post #21 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamuekcmo View Post

yes, that is true... I think they are more concerned that they can make double and triple what JB can make.... I know if I had some type of company and I paid to have something produced, paid for a factory, materials, marketing, shipping, and whatever else... and someone took what I put all my hard work into and flipped it for double or triple what I got only a few hours after they got it from my company..... I would be pissed....

What you're essentially seeing is Nike's ploy to get people to pay full MSRP for product. The sheep/consumers miss out on the first drop and are relieved that they can actually get a pair the second time for retail - no markdown, sales or promos of any kind.
post #22 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegetaray123 View Post

Isn't this how it always worked? At least in regards to having reps keep tabs on the web and all the hype following info release...
The production setup is new to me but to be honest Nike, Reebok, Adidas etc...all have people who watch the boards...

 

 

I'm sure that they have always kept tabs on the "buzz", that's just good business. But now its a lot easier to tie that in directly to production and forecasting, considering the social media boom and everyone retweets a fart if it comes from the @NikeStore. Technology has just made it easier for them to do it. laugh.gif

Flickr

La Formula Perfecta

blog -> corruptsoles

 

 

 

Reply

Flickr

La Formula Perfecta

blog -> corruptsoles

 

 

 

Reply
post #23 of 190
Re-sellers don't keep JB in business though, that kind of talk is beyond stupid. If Nike judges the demand better, or current demand, they can better serve us, the consumers by trying to match supply to demand. That doesn't mean resellers are going away, but rather than overselling a particular shoe where much of the stock goes right to the secondary market, limiting the release numbers and then later releasing more helps more consumers get them from JB rather than eBay, CL, etc. especially if consumers hold back on the secondary market banking on a second release/restock. The only reason a $160 shoe resells for $250 is because of the perception by consumers that they can not purchase the shoe in the future for the retail price. Resellers also hurt brand loyalty, and as we all know, one of the biggest complaints on NT is that Nike has failed to meet consumer demand in order to breed hype. I'm sure that some hype is created by this divide between supply and demand, but it also decreases customer loyalty which is bad for Nike in the long run if they can be the ones to come to the rescue of consumers with secondary releases/restocks.

Remember, resellers throw off Nike's measurement of TRUE demand for a shoe, and those measurements are important for gauging production across models, colorways and even time. JB may not care that they sold a shoe to a reseller, or that a reseller swooped up 20 pairs, but if he sits on those 20 pairs and it takes forever for him to move those, that skews the true consumer demand for a release and thus makes it hard to estimate how much to produce of a different CW of the same shoe or a similarly desired release of another model or colorway. Metrics and understanding true demand from your customers (resellers are not true customers when looked at by a business) is highly important in creating and executing marketing strategy.

As was mentioned, this is about the bottom line by being more efficient with production that matches demand, but at least they're creating the flexibility to produce more and/or do a second release for many of these shoes. The Olives are a great example. There was little hype (perhaps due to the timing of that shoe with what dropped before and after near the end of the year), but in retrospect there were many of us, myself included, who wanted a pair that didn't get them.

This would also explain why some releases like the Olives were FCFS at Nike stores while most are RSVP, and it also explains last week's White/Red-Black release that was all kinds of FUBAR with regard to release details from Nike. Different releases - based on hype and thus production numbers - are being handled differently in stores. Perhaps part of the foot traffic or feedback from staff on how much demand there was for a sold out FCFS release paves the way for secondary releases. I wouldn't be surprised if this team's measurement and monitoring through various channels (including NT and obviously social media) is leading them to make decisions or categorize releases and how they will be handled.

Remember, at the end of the day Nike is a MARKETING COMPANY. Their success hasn't been tied to the quality of their product, it has been tied to their advertising, marketing, and ability to understand their target market.
Edited by trappedintime - 1/9/13 at 12:56pm
post #24 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikehead View Post


Yes, thats understandable, but the products that Nike produces and distributes to its retailers does not command the price points that resellers are receiving for them.

If Nike tried to sell any of their product at the price point that resellers sell for, they would see a large drop in revenues and consumer would turn to other brands

that's what has happened in the past year atleast at nyc mom and pop stores i dont see no drops in revenue

all i see is people buying more and more and prices from stores that have accounts charging not a small mark up but $100.00 and a lot of time over that

the owners of these shops see what flight club and ebay prices are at and ask for the same

i dont think any of this info is correct

bottom line nike makes money and the stores make money

small shops have cut the reseller out and now a reseller has to get a group of people out to footlocker just just pay retail to charge that same mark up the small mom and pop have been doing for the past 2 years


re sellers like me and many others are just in a hobby that has a Hugh demand and just keeps getting bigger and bigger
so why not cash out

all i sell now is all the shoes i own from over the years

i really dont sell new releases
too much hassle unless you can get before the release date and not get raped too much

waiting on a line for sneakers has become mainstream that casual jordan buyers and as well as people like us have to do just to pay retail in the past year and starting well into this new year
Edited by 160jordansdeep - 1/9/13 at 1:02pm

 



 SELLING OVER 250 PAIRS OF JORDANS/NIKES SIZES 8.5 & 9 ONLY E-MAIL AT JORDANS160DEEP@AOL.COM CONTACT NUMBER NEEDED NYC MEET UP'S OR CAN SHIP NO PAYPAL FOR SHIPPING ONLY U.S.P.S MONEY ORDER



 



 



Reply

 



 SELLING OVER 250 PAIRS OF JORDANS/NIKES SIZES 8.5 & 9 ONLY E-MAIL AT JORDANS160DEEP@AOL.COM CONTACT NUMBER NEEDED NYC MEET UP'S OR CAN SHIP NO PAYPAL FOR SHIPPING ONLY U.S.P.S MONEY ORDER



 



 



Reply
post #25 of 190
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by EYENOE View Post

KCMO....this reminds me of the good ole days when people actually broke inside info for the community! Not jus sitting on it an telling their friends an close circle! Im sure there are PLENTY of people who knew that info an aint share it. Sittin back hatin like I already knew that! Well brotha yo Rep should be in the hundreds for the inside info YOU have been havin the balls to put out no matter if its exposes your source! THANKS! Keep it coming.....smokin.gif

I feel you, and I can say in a way I'm guilty of holding back info.. I been lurking on here since 2001.. I started collecting about a year after that.. My source (family member) has been in his spot for almost 7 years, he tells me what I can and cant put on here... The stuff I put on here is only put on here because other people know it, as a way to hide who is dropping info... So in a way I'm kind of shocked that alot of the info is not dropped, and its also a few dudes on NT who drop legit info and they are trashed and i see them never post again... Example, a while back when the 2nd altitudes dropped, it was a dude on NT that said the altitudes were never supposed to even drop, but they dropped them because they were behind on another colorway (squadron blue 13's)... The dude was trashed so bad, that he erased his account, and i feel bad cause i read it but didn't back him up........ Now this 13 with 3 shades of blue and yellow that he described are due to drop this year....

post #26 of 190
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegetaray123 View Post

Isn't this how it always worked? At least in regards to having reps keep tabs on the web and all the hype following info release...
The production setup is new to me but to be honest Nike, Reebok, Adidas etc...all have people who watch the boards...
At the very least this ensures that at some point we will get regular drops of info on future releases...

You are correct, but this is the first time I have heard a company actually hold pairs back that they have already produced for a 2nd release, based off of the info collected... I guess that was my main focus of the post...

post #27 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by 160jordansdeep View Post

that's what has happened in the past year atleast at nyc mom and pop stores i dont see no drops in revenue
all i see is people buying more and more and prices from stores that have accounts charging not a small mark up but $100.00 and a lot of time over that
the owners of these shops see what flight club and ebay prices are at and ask for the same
i dont think any of this info is correct
bottom line nike makes money and the stores make money
small shops have cut the reseller out and now a reseller has to get a group of people out to footlocker just just pay retail to charge that same mark up the small mom and pop have been doing for the past 2 years
re sellers like me and many others are just in a hobby that has a Hugh demand and just keeps getting bigger and bigger
so why not cash out
all i sell now is all the shoes i own from over the years
i really dont sell new releases
too much hassle unless you can get before the release date and not get raped too much
waiting on a line for sneakers has become mainstream that casual jordan buyers and as well as people like us have to do just to pay retail in the past year and starting well into this new year

You're short sighted and obviously don't understand marketing and customer loyalty very well if you think small accounts charging big bucks is beneficial to Nike in the long run. It hurts customer loyalty, even if it's not immediate. Why do you think they're flooding the market with more retros from Black Friday to the ASG than they ever have? It's part of a strategy to regain some control over their product. From a business standpoint it's very interesting to me and I'd love to be part of this team that is measuring the impact of social media on demand, as well as what impact flooding the market (yet backing it up with secondary releases months down the road) does for customer loyalty. They are going to sell just as much if not more, but keep their customers happy. Toss in some things like Nike Air or better materials on certain releases, and you're doing a LOT to lock in your customer base for the long term, rather than running them into the ground with pain in the butt releases that cost 2-3x what they should from mom and pop shops. This is a short-term opportunity for the shady little stores preying off ignorance and greed.
post #28 of 190
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by trappedintime View Post

Re-sellers don't keep JB in business though, that kind of talk is beyond stupid. If Nike judges the demand better, or current demand, they can better serve us, the consumers by trying to match supply to demand. That doesn't mean resellers are going away, but rather than overselling a particular shoe where much of the stock goes right to the secondary market, limiting the release numbers and then later releasing more helps more consumers get them from JB rather than eBay, CL, etc. especially if consumers hold back on the secondary market banking on a second release/restock. The only reason a $160 shoe resells for $250 is because of the perception by consumers that they can not purchase the shoe in the future for the retail price. Resellers also hurt brand loyalty, and as we all know, one of the biggest complaints on NT is that Nike has failed to meet consumer demand in order to breed hype. I'm sure that some hype is created by this divide between supply and demand, but it also decreases customer loyalty which is bad for Nike in the long run if they can be the ones to come to the rescue of consumers with secondary releases/restocks.
Remember, resellers throw off Nike's measurement of TRUE demand for a shoe, and those measurements are important for gauging production across models, colorways and even time. JB may not care that they sold a shoe to a reseller, or that a reseller swooped up 20 pairs, but if he sits on those 20 pairs and it takes forever for him to move those, that skews the true consumer demand for a release and thus makes it hard to estimate how much to produce of a different CW of the same shoe or a similarly desired release of another model or colorway. Metrics and understanding true demand from your customers (resellers are not true customers when looked at by a business) is highly important in creating and executing marketing strategy.
As was mentioned, this is about the bottom line by being more efficient with production that matches demand, but at least they're creating the flexibility to produce more and/or do a second release for many of these shoes. The Olives are a great example. There was little hype (perhaps due to the timing of that shoe with what dropped before and after near the end of the year), but in retrospect there were many of us, myself included, who wanted a pair that didn't get them.
This would also explain why some releases like the Olives were FCFS at Nike stores while most are RSVP, and it also explains last week's White/Red-Black release that was all kinds of FUBAR with regard to release details from Nike. Different releases - based on hype and thus production numbers - are being handled differently in stores. Perhaps part of the foot traffic or feedback from staff on how much demand there was for a sold out FCFS release paves the way for secondary releases. I wouldn't be surprised if this team's measurement and monitoring through various channels (including NT and obviously social media) is leading them to make decisions or categorize releases and how they will be handled.
Remember, at the end of the day Nike is a MARKETING COMPANY. Their success hasn't been tied to the quality of their product, it has been tied to their advertising, marketing, and ability to understand their target market.

TRUE +1 rep!

post #29 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamuekcmo View Post

You are correct, but this is the first time I have heard a company actually hold pairs back that they have already produced for a 2nd release, based off of the info collected... I guess that was my main focus of the post...

Yeah that whole thing about changing a release plan is new...But I think it's good simply due to the fact that Nike is taking a more invested interest into the sneaker community...With any luck that will lead to some better things for the future...The "NIKE" branded III's are a great example since sneaker heads have been complaining about that for the longest...

Now if they could just up their quality on retro models in particular...I'd pay a higher price...Let this tracking group track that input laugh.gif
Bone...Crushin'...Smooth...Kicks...Blades...Choppin'...Through...Bricks...Master of the weaponry sells to both cliques...Blacksmith, with the IRON FISTS...
Reply
Bone...Crushin'...Smooth...Kicks...Blades...Choppin'...Through...Bricks...Master of the weaponry sells to both cliques...Blacksmith, with the IRON FISTS...
Reply
post #30 of 190
Thanks a bunch for the info. Is this why the Kilroy pack restocked around Christmas time?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Jordan Brand
NikeTalk › NikeTalk Forums › The Kicks › Jordan Brand › JB release numbers now reflect the hype for the shoe/colorway...