I'd like to give a big shout-out to my man and fellow niketalker IAMDBLR (https://instagram.com/iam_dblr/) for bringing these Challenge Court inspired designs (that had been sitting on my HDD since around 2k10) to life on a shirt.
Absolutely astounding work as the print feels exactly the way it would've felt on a legit Challenge Court training tee from the 90's! Colors are on point too! Can't believe I got a properly retro'ed ATC III US Open OG colorway and this shirt printed in the matter of a few weeks, on the 25th anniversary of the shoe no less!
More info (Click to show)
As you might've noticed, I took inspiration from Agassi's US Open "90 attire (the Challenge Court logo, the graphic on the bandana and back of the collar, the big ball on the back, etc.) and also from a training t-shirt that was released in 1991 and that I still own.
In fact, I still have a sizable Challenge Court gear collection (which isn't really a collection, I was just crazy about it as a kid - I was born in 1981 - so it's just old and beaten up clothes I actually used back then) and that's where I started with the designs.
I used a scanner to digitize the logos and graphics off of a bunch of shirts/track suits/shorts/bandana/etc. and then I recreated them in vector graphics with 1:1 pixel-perfect proportions and detail through Inkscape.
I tried using Photoshop but it wouldn't cut it, the "splatter" effect just wasn't coming out right (I've seen a number of people trying to recreate that sort of effect throughout the years but no one's managed to get it right thus far, I don't think) and I had to basically rewrite the code of a specific Inkscape filter from scratch to get it right. Definitely wasn't easy!
It really took me a while because these aren't just "bitmap to vector" automatic conversions, I actually outlined roughly 65% of the tiny speckles and then manually tweaked the ones generated by the filter until I got them to match exactly what we had on the shirts back then.
Resolution is so high that my PC with a 560 Ti and 8 Gb of Ram takes like 45 minutes~1 hr to render the whole image (although I can scale it down if needed be).