Originally Posted by DWalk31
1. No one can say anything with Certainty...
TM wasn't at a bank, or on private property with a dress code. He was in a place that he had a legal right to be. Whether or not his clothes made GZ uncomfortable is COMPLETELY based on GZ's personal prejudices. And as far as the suit, I honestly don't think it would've mattered if the man was white or black, the suit implicates socioeconomic status, I believe that GZ's prejudice was based on race and socioeconomic status. No one knows tho, unless they can read his thoughts... that's why you view the circumstances.
2. Punk does not mean black. True. But he states "these punks always get away" and states that TM was black... who are "these punks" lets not be naive. That was the context...
3. Stuff happens to black people all the time that is entirely their fault, But, if you live in America and don't see the clear prejudice that exist then you are truly sheltered. Just look at the disproportionate sentences that african americans receive compared to other races for the exact same crimes. GZ's preconceived notions and prejudices were clear in his decision to follow TM. Now GZ was well in his right to follow TM, but you're not being serious if you don't think his personal prejudices were at play. I'm not implying he's a Klan leader, but race was certainly a factor.
To address your last statement... This is a discussion board, I'm here to discuss and share my opinions and listen and hear others. Many in here do a tremendous job of having an opinion without getting worked up. You are writing in all caps and personally calling me a racist. It seems, you are letting your emotions get the best of you. And of course I'm stating my theories. No one was there, everything is a theory, from the medical examiners to what the jury perceives.
1. No, Trayvon was in a gated community. One that he did not reside in permanently. No one's arguing that Zimmerman is Saint Zimmerman, guilty of no wrong doings ever. But to say he's racist is 100% speculation. Not 99%. Not 98%. 100%.
2. "These punks" are the people that always get away. That's not me being naive, that's me not jumping to conclusions or assuming anything. He states than he "thinks" Trayvon is black, UPON BEING ASKED BY THE DISPATCHER.
3. What about the clear prejudice toward Hispanics? Asians? Jews? I could go on for days man. I could argue that George Zimmerman's preconceived notions and prejudices have more to do with him desperately searching for a purpose in life, wanting to be a police officer so bad that he felt maybe this was his big chance to break a case. There's no evidence to support that the personal prejudices he has have anything to do with race.
To address your rebuttal, writing in caps is to show emphasis. In text, it's commonly perceived as yelling and/or screaming, but that's not what I was doing. Just showing emphasis. I never said you WERE a racist, well that was not my intention, so I'll apologize for that and rephrase. Your assumptions that Zimmerman is racist, with no real evidence to support it, showcase your preconceived notions that would lend to you showing racist ideals/tendencies yourself. Better? Not damning you to hell, I get it man. My guess is you're black. I'm Asian. I grew up in the South. "White" people can be racist bastards at times. But so can everyone else.
You're right. His personal preconceived notions were at play. 100%. No arguing here. But you cannot say race is certainly a factor. You don't know that. And if you can prove it, please do. Because the first person who can PROVE Zimmerman is a racist should immediately get off of NT and fly down to Florida.
My emotions aren't getting the best of me. That's laughable, at best. I don't have a horse in this race. If he's found guilty, they'll be a re-trial. This is a circus.
Do I personally think George Zimmerman is guilty of second degree murder? From the facts presented, no.
Do I think George Zimmerman handled the situation just about as poorly as possible? Absolutely.
Do I think Trayvon Martin would still be here if he or Zimmerman had made smarter decisions? Yes.
You're right, this is a message board. We are here to discuss, compare, and contrast ideas and theories. Ours just so happen to contrast.