NikeTalk › NikeTalk Forums › The Lounge › Sports & Training › The MMA Thread: DON'T ASK 4 STREAMS & NO GIFS- Huge Bellator Card: SAT 6/24 on Spike/PPV @5PM
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The MMA Thread: DON'T ASK 4 STREAMS & NO GIFS- Huge Bellator Card: SAT 6/24 on Spike/PPV @5PM - Page 68

post #2011 of 41107

damn hendo ate some bombs :hat dude is a bad mofo

post #2012 of 41107
Last of the trt gawds
post #2013 of 41107
Hendo fighting till he's 60, probably still going to have KO power in his hands.
post #2014 of 41107
Kinda reminded me of his fight with Fedor where he was getting hit with some bombs and recovered to throw some of his own to win.
post #2015 of 41107

man would of loved to see prime hendo vs prime liddell

post #2016 of 41107
The UFC needs to never have an event in that arena again. 90+ temps and high humidity inside the stadium mean.gif
post #2017 of 41107
Yeah, when they said how hot and humid it was in the arena I was wondering why the hell the event was there. Get some damn air conditioning in there.
post #2018 of 41107
Weidman out with injury, fight moved to UFC175 on July 5th
Edited by jcmojica24 - 3/24/14 at 3:25pm
Seattle Seahawks, Los Angeles Lakers, LA Angels, USC Trojans

Arkansas Razorbacks, Chelsea FC, Anaheim Ducks, Syracuse Orange

@JCMojica24, XBL & PSN: JohnnyDrama1234

NTWT "Back In My Day"
Reply
Seattle Seahawks, Los Angeles Lakers, LA Angels, USC Trojans

Arkansas Razorbacks, Chelsea FC, Anaheim Ducks, Syracuse Orange

@JCMojica24, XBL & PSN: JohnnyDrama1234

NTWT "Back In My Day"
Reply
post #2019 of 41107

Wonder if Rousey has another quick turn around and fights at 173. That Memorial Day weekend card is always a big event for them. Probably regretting moving Silva vs Sonnen from it now.

post #2020 of 41107
Wow. Big news.

They are going to need a BIG fight to replace that one on Memorial Day. Phone lines in the 209 area code may be lighting up...
UConn Huskies - New York Yankees - New York Giants - Manchester United
Reply
UConn Huskies - New York Yankees - New York Giants - Manchester United
Reply
post #2021 of 41107
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyzPhan View Post
 

 

This has to be a joke right? I guess its all about protecting a future money making fight between DC and Gus/Jones.


Who else you want DC to fight? Not sure how Bader or Feijao aren't legit opponents in their own right.

post #2022 of 41107

Gus is getting Jones or Glover next. Probably late 2014 or early 2015. Why not have DC fight winner of Phil Davis/Anthony Johnson? A lot of people online supposedly wanna see DC vs Hendo so that's another possibility. And from the sound of it, Hendo wants to fight again soon. He asked on twitter to fight Machida possibly at 173 since Weidman is out but that's not happening. DC is ranked #5 and according to Dana he's next in line after Gus to fight for the belt. He should fight another guy thats either in the top 5 or at least top 8 if the top 5 aren't available. 

post #2023 of 41107
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyzPhan View Post
 

Gus is getting Jones or Glover next. Probably late 2014 or early 2015. Why not have DC fight winner of Phil Davis/Anthony Johnson? A lot of people online supposedly wanna see DC vs Hendo so that's another possibility. And from the sound of it, Hendo wants to fight again soon. He asked on twitter to fight Machida possibly at 173 since Weidman is out but that's not happening. DC is ranked #5 and according to Dana he's next in line after Gus to fight for the belt. He should fight another guy thats either in the top 5 or at least top 8 if the top 5 aren't available. 

The only thing is, Davis/Rumble don't fight for another month. You could be looking at putting DC on the shelf until August at the earliest. Possibly later, if the winner of Davis/Rumble don't escape without serious injuries.

 

There is nobody in the top 8 available except for maybe Dan Henderson. If DC beats Hendo, will that even impress anyone that much more than defeating Bader? Hendo looked terrible IMO. He and Shogun are warriors but honestly are probably on their last legs. Bader is ranked #10 so I don't see how that's that much of a difference than #8. Chael Sonnen is #9 which is questionable anyway.

 

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see DC face the winner of Davis/Rumble, but you're risking having DC on the shelf and also risking him only fighting twice in 2014. I wouldn't be mad at whatever the UFC decides to do. DC has already stated he doesn't want to be put on the shelf.

post #2024 of 41107
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmojica24 View Post

Weidman out with injury, fight moved to UFC175 on July 5th

I have to say (and as far as my memory serves) today's champions are the most injury-prone batch. Cain, pettis, hendricks, and now weidman. And what has happened to might mouse? Haven't heard anything since his last fight.

Ufc looks to be running out of options of fighters who are ppv draws.
post #2025 of 41107
Thread Starter 

Damb, I'm watching the Best of WEC on FS1. I miss those days so much. So many classic fights, too many to count. So many stars from the WEC who are now in the UFC.

 

That smaller cage to force more action :hat

post #2026 of 41107
After seeing the results from Sunday's card: I think the smaller cage, like the WEC one, should be the norm from now on.

Forcing the action + keeping the fighters closer = Better product
UConn Huskies - New York Yankees - New York Giants - Manchester United
Reply
UConn Huskies - New York Yankees - New York Giants - Manchester United
Reply
post #2027 of 41107
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger energy View Post


I have to say (and as far as my memory serves) today's champions are the most injury-prone batch. Cain, pettis, hendricks, and now weidman. And what has happened to might mouse? Haven't heard anything since his last fight.

Ufc looks to be running out of options of fighters who are ppv draws.

 

The problem with Mighty Mouse and the entire 125 lb division is that its not necessarily a fan favorite and because its a relatively new division, theres not a lot of fighters so Mouse has to wait around for fights. 

post #2028 of 41107
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyzPhan View Post

The problem with Mighty Mouse and the entire 125 lb division is that its not necessarily a fan favorite and because its a relatively new division, theres not a lot of fighters so Mouse has to wait around for fights. 

Yes I know that. Healthy, young champion but can't get a fight. Sucks.

I have a feeling the JDS fight on May will be moved as the main event.
post #2029 of 41107
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotoriousLAR View Post

After seeing the results from Sunday's card: I think the smaller cage, like the WEC one, should be the norm from now on.

Forcing the action + keeping the fighters closer = Better product


I'm all for it. It's a big factor into what made the WEC so great IMO. Only thing is, make it the regulation size for Middleweights and up (?) when the huge boys get in there you might need more space

post #2030 of 41107

If the JDS/Stipe fight is moved to main event maybe its a sign that they're spreading the product too thin. Memorial Day weekend & 4th of July weekend are always their biggest events. In the past they always had a title fight or a big name like GSP, Silva, Chuck, Randy, etc fighting on those ppvs and the cards were usually stacked. 

post #2031 of 41107
The last 3 fight nights could have been 1 card
post #2032 of 41107
2 cards a month should be more than enough

Should be

Week 1 nothing/tuf/nba inside stuff type show
Week 2 fight night
Week 3 primetime
Week 4 ppv
post #2033 of 41107
There is no way they run with a JDS/Stipe Main Event on Memorial Day. I could see Sonnen/Wandy getting moved to that card, but even still, there HAS to be something else in the works for the Main Event.

I understand the criticism of the diluted product, but they are doing a damn good job of localizing the brand. These Fight Nights aren't all for the American market. The stuff they actually expect you to watch is on FS1, FOX, and PPV. The Fight Pass stuff is for the hardcores and foreign markets.
UConn Huskies - New York Yankees - New York Giants - Manchester United
Reply
UConn Huskies - New York Yankees - New York Giants - Manchester United
Reply
post #2034 of 41107
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotoriousLAR View Post

There is no way they run with a JDS/Stipe Main Event on Memorial Day. I could see Sonnen/Wandy getting moved to that card, but even still, there HAS to be something else in the works for the Main Event.

I understand the criticism of the diluted product, but they are doing a damn good job of localizing the brand. These Fight Nights aren't all for the American market. The stuff they actually expect you to watch is on FS1, FOX, and PPV. The Fight Pass stuff is for the hardcores and foreign markets.

Brah compared to what the WWE is offering, it is ****
post #2035 of 41107
All I really wanted out of Fight Pass was the complete PRIDE library and they couldnt even give me that mean.gif
post #2036 of 41107
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyShackleford View Post

Brah compared to what the WWE is offering, it is ****

Agreed. Fight Pass is a raging garbage fire. Not trying to defend it. Don't see myself forking over the dough for it anytime soon. WWE Network kills it in every way.

Just saying those cards aren't designed for the American fan base.
UConn Huskies - New York Yankees - New York Giants - Manchester United
Reply
UConn Huskies - New York Yankees - New York Giants - Manchester United
Reply
post #2037 of 41107

Fight Pass is absolute garbage especially when compared to WWE. Its only around because Fox didn't wanna add the additional events. But they can't offer the same package WWE gives customers. Not even if they bumped it up to $20-25.

 

Looks like Rousey won't be a replacement at 173. She's off making a movie. But if things get desperate, I could still see them asking her.

 

And is anyone worried at all about Weidman? I know they say its a minor surgery but from what Dana said he's had knee problems in the past. I think this may be his 5h or 6th knee/meniscus surgery. He even got the Kobe treatment in Germany last year. And months ago, Fertitta told him to go get surgery and repair his meniscus in both knees. Just seems like meniscus injuries are tricky. Just look at the Thunder's Russell Westbrook. 

post #2038 of 41107
Of all the champions, Showtime's knees make me worry the most...

Still, repeated knee procedures isn't a good look for the Weidman's future.
UConn Huskies - New York Yankees - New York Giants - Manchester United
Reply
UConn Huskies - New York Yankees - New York Giants - Manchester United
Reply
post #2039 of 41107
Weidman has problems with his knee? "Good, f**k him". -Ray Longo et al. (2013).

But seriously, the ufc has not announced a new main event for May. If they want a top level fighter they have to pick now for them to have more or less 2 months of training. If not, they will have to settle for a mid-level fighter but still well-known among fans. JDS vs Stipe would be main event by then.

Choose between Aldo, Barao, or mighty mouse and that event won't take too much of a loss.
post #2040 of 41107

I know people aren't going to like it, but I would try some hail marys. Call GSP and Rousey first. If they can't then call Nick Diaz and offer him a fight with either Lawler, Rory, or TWood and say its for a guaranteed title shot. If all of those fail, then I think you go and ask Aldo, Barao, or Mighty Mouse. I know they're champions but its the Memorial Day weekend card and they're not huge sells when it comes to ppv rates and live gate numbers.

 

I would even consider begging DC and Gus to fight each other or moving Sonnen/Silva. Air TUF Brazil on FS1 instead of Fight Pass and have Sonnen do his thing and create even more heat.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sports & Training
NikeTalk › NikeTalk Forums › The Lounge › Sports & Training › The MMA Thread: DON'T ASK 4 STREAMS & NO GIFS- Huge Bellator Card: SAT 6/24 on Spike/PPV @5PM