NikeTalk › NikeTalk Forums › The Lounge › Sports & Training › The MMA Thread: DON'T ASK 4 STREAMS & NO GIFS- Huge Bellator Card: SAT 6/24 on Spike/PPV @5PM
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The MMA Thread: DON'T ASK 4 STREAMS & NO GIFS- Huge Bellator Card: SAT 6/24 on Spike/PPV @5PM - Page 157

post #4681 of 41029
They'd probably gift sanchez another decision. Getting constantly punched in the face scores him points.
post #4682 of 41029
Thread Starter 

Smh at Conor looking for easy fights. That's disappointing, took a few steps back in my book in terms of his movement. He's been all over Aldo, Mendes, Cub and now all of a sudden he's setting his sights on that bum *** Diego Sanchez? :{:rolleyes

 

UFC featherweight Conor McGregor is not booked to fight Diego Sanchez on Nov. 15 in Mexico City, UFC president Dana White said.

 

Despite a tweet late Wednesday night from McGregor stating otherwise, White told ESPN.com that the Irish featherweight will not face Sanchez at UFC 180.

 

"That kid is nuts," White said via text message. "No, he's not. He wants to, but he's not."

 

McGregor's tweet reached 2,000 retweets within two hours.

post #4683 of 41029
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysfiend23 View Post

Idk if anyone keeps up w tuf but Jessica penne to me looks like she taking the whoe straweight division

Penne is very good but she's too small for 115.
post #4684 of 41029
Carla looked impressive last night. She gets the fight to the ground and it's over. Felice's body looks damn good, lean and toned everywhere.
post #4685 of 41029
Thread Starter 

What's up with Pettis' face? Chipmunked out like crazy, exactly like D. Wade's.

 

Always thought of Pettis as lean but since the injury it's looked like he's put on a ton of weight, think he could be a WW soon

post #4686 of 41029
I'm glad VVH said it. If Nightmare is true, KoD is cherry picking opponents. Sanchez has a wrestling background and strong BJJ, but he's at the tail-end of his prime with loose standup D and a willingness to trade wildly with his boxing.
REAL MADRID - EAGLES - SIXERS - BRUINS
INDIANS - OHIO STATE FOOTBALL - ARIZONA BASKETBALL
Reply
REAL MADRID - EAGLES - SIXERS - BRUINS
INDIANS - OHIO STATE FOOTBALL - ARIZONA BASKETBALL
Reply
post #4687 of 41029

Conor is just following Sonnen's "blueprint for success".

 

Earlier this week there was an article with Sonnen talking about how to become a bigger star in UFC. For instance, he said that Aldo's ppvs don't sell. So if he wants to make more money and be a bigger star he should've gone to the media and called out another fighter and said lets fight on the Cain/Werdum card in Mexico cause its gonna sell tickets and ppvs. Then he talked about you can basically force UFC into fights. He went out made up a poster and announced that he was fighting Rashad on the GSP/Hendricks card without UFC's permission or knowledge. Joe Silva got pissed at him saying its not up to him to choose fights or announce them, but the next day he was signed to fight Rashad.

 

That's exactly what Conor is doing.

post #4688 of 41029
He probably wants to get on another ppv by the end of the year and get another FOTN or KOOTN. Easy money and he won't lose his place in the rankings, I don't get the hate. All the guys ahead of him are already scheduled for fights.
post #4689 of 41029
I really don't know what to make of Featherweight right now.

Conor is an up and comer.

Pretty ridiculous that Aldo has already beaten most of the rest of the Top 10. At least the fighters worth fighting in it.

Division seems a bit stagnant to me.

Maybe Bermudez makes a breakthrough by beating Lamas and we get a new contender? But I'm having trouble getting excited for Bermudez/Aldo.

There are some great fights to be had in the division, but legitimate title contenders seem few and far between.

As much as I like Frankie and thought the Aldo fight was competetive, it was still a decisive win for Aldo.

Maybe Cub does better 2nd time around?

But that division definitely needs a bit of a shake up and Conor is it so him getting a crack at the title doesn't surprise me at all. Especially since he's easily the biggest PPV draw of all the contenders.

I'd really like Aldo to go to 155 already. But then the division is REALLY lacking in star power.
Edited by illphillip - 10/2/14 at 10:47am
post #4690 of 41029
Aldo should go 155, Barao should go 145, problem solved.

Actually I still want to see Cruz vs. Barao....
post #4691 of 41029
Lmfao at chael talking about the blueprints to be a star

honestly dana tries to put together cards fans wants to see but injury and other ish always gets in the way
post #4692 of 41029
I love Bermudez but to me he's a less athletic version of Chad Mendes.

Probably more durable and with better cardio but i'm not sure that he's championship level yet.

That being said a win over Lamas who is super legit at 145 will put him right up there.
post #4693 of 41029
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by getrichquik1987 View Post

He probably wants to get on another ppv by the end of the year and get another FOTN or KOOTN. Easy money and he won't lose his place in the rankings, I don't get the hate. All the guys ahead of him are already scheduled for fights.

You don't go from Holloway, Brandao and Poirier to Diego bum *** Sanchez. It doesn't make any sense. If everyone else is scheduled then he needs to wait for 

 

Aldo/Mendes

Cub/Frankie

Lamas/Bermudez

 

As far as the division, I'm super excited about it. I don't think it's stagnant at all. All 7 of those guys I mentioned are entertaining to me. Might not be dominant contenders but it's still filled with nice solid fighters who at least put on a show.

 

Then you have Korean Zombie and Charles Oliveria still there... fun division IMO

post #4694 of 41029
post #4695 of 41029

McGregor saying that he's gonna fight Diego was just dumb on his part. Not only because he would have to move up to 155 lbs, but because there's no reward for beating Diego. Regardless of how much of a bum people think Diego is now, he's hard to stop and he can always get lucky with one of his wild strikes.

 

He basically put UFC in a bad position cause now reports are surfacing that Norman Parke is out of UFC 180 so any replacement they name to face Diego, except for McGregor, is gonna feel like a disappointment. 

post #4696 of 41029
If Conor went
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyzPhan View Post

McGregor saying that he's gonna fight Diego was just dumb on his part. Not only because he would have to move up to 155 lbs, but because there's no reward for beating Diego. Regardless of how much of a bum people think Diego is now, he's hard to stop and he can always get lucky with one of his wild strikes.

He basically put UFC in a bad position cause now reports are surfacing that Norman Parke is out of UFC 180 so any replacement they name to face Diego, except for McGregor, is gonna feel like a disappointment. 

Stylistically there's very little risk imo. Conor is a big 145 and has fought at 155 before so i dont think size will be an issue if it went down. I see it looking like the Myles Jury fight.

Has no bearing at 145 but he's just trying to get paid. And who knows he might be the one to crack Diego's chin. Lord knows he's way past due.
post #4697 of 41029

Technically it has no bearing at 145 but if he lost don't you think it would hurt him at 145 lbs? Lets say Conor and Diego do fight and Diego gets lucky and knocks him out. Conor's ranking at 145 lbs won't change but a lot of the hype around him decreases. Right now, Conor could sit and wait until the Aldo/Mendes fight, get in the cage afterwards like he said he plans on doing and call the winner out. The hype he already has combined with calling out the winner face to face would pretty much get him a title shot. He fights Diego and loses and some of his aura or whatever its called goes away. So instead of getting the title shot, he has to take another fight.

post #4698 of 41029
I don't get the hate for a guy saying he wants to fight 6 weeks after the biggest win of his career. Did we all hate on Anderson when he fought Irvin, Griffin, or Bonnar? No, we got psyched to see a dude put his skills on display.

This is entertainment. Sports are entertainment. No need for all the damn negativity. Let Conor cook.
UConn Huskies - New York Yankees - New York Giants - Manchester United
Reply
UConn Huskies - New York Yankees - New York Giants - Manchester United
Reply
post #4699 of 41029
If a fighter wants to stay active then let him.
post #4700 of 41029
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Van Ho View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by getrichquik1987 View Post

He probably wants to get on another ppv by the end of the year and get another FOTN or KOOTN. Easy money and he won't lose his place in the rankings, I don't get the hate. All the guys ahead of him are already scheduled for fights.
You don't go from Holloway, Brandao and Poirier to Diego bum *** Sanchez. It doesn't make any sense. If everyone else is scheduled then he needs to wait for 

Aldo/Mendes
Cub/Frankie
Lamas/Bermudez

As far as the division, I'm super excited about it. I don't think it's stagnant at all. All 7 of those guys I mentioned are entertaining to me. Might not be dominant contenders but it's still filled with nice solid fighters who at least put on a show.

Then you have Korean Zombie and Charles Oliveria still there... fun division IMO

I get that he doesn't need to fight Diego but suggesting that it's a step down from Holloway or Brandao in particular, who haven't really fought the elite in any division is a bit much.

And I think Holloway is NICE for his age.

And no "dominant contenders" (minus Conor) and "nice solid fighters" is exactly what I'm saying about FW.

I would say Flyweight and Featherweight have the most dominant champs right now with no "dominant contenders" in sight.

So I'd say most, if not all, of the other divisions are stronger in terms of comp. Or at least have a title fight booked that we're excited for.

If Conor wants to play with weight classes, I like what Anderson did. Win a belt in a division, dominate, then dabble at a higher weight.

But with the allure of the "superfight", I'm not sure that happens anymore.
Edited by illphillip - 10/2/14 at 8:06pm
post #4701 of 41029
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotoriousLAR View Post

I don't get the hate for a guy saying he wants to fight 6 weeks after the biggest win of his career. Did we all hate on Anderson when he fought Irvin, Griffin, or Bonnar? No, we got psyched to see a dude put his skills on display.

This is entertainment. Sports are entertainment. No need for all the damn negativity. Let Conor cook.


Anderson was champ when he did all that... there's a huge difference

post #4702 of 41029
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by illphillip View Post


I get that he doesn't need to fight Diego but suggesting that it's a step down from Holloway or Brandao in particular, who haven't really fought the elite in any division is a bit much.

And I think Holloway is NICE for his age.

And no "dominant contenders" (minus Conor) and "nice solid fighters" is exactly what I'm saying about FW.

I would say Flyweight and Featherweight have the most dominant champs right now with no "dominant contenders" in sight.

So I'd say most, if not all, of the other divisions are stronger in terms of comp. Or at least have a title fight booked that we're excited for.

If Conor wants to play with weight classes, I like what Anderson did. Win a belt in a division, dominate, then dabble at a higher weight.

But with the allure of the "superfight", I'm not sure that happens anymore.


Conor is a budding contender, he does not need to go backwards from Dustin. Diego would be a huge step down from that, the progression makes no sense.

 

Anyway, that's fine that you think that, I'm just saying to me the division is far from stagnant. There are several fighters outside of Aldo that I love to watch

post #4703 of 41029
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Van Ho View Post


Anderson was champ when he did all that... there's a huge difference

True. Conor isn't on that level yet, similiar star power though. My point was if an entertaining and marketable fighter wants to fight just for the hell of it, I see no reason anyone should complain.
UConn Huskies - New York Yankees - New York Giants - Manchester United
Reply
UConn Huskies - New York Yankees - New York Giants - Manchester United
Reply
post #4704 of 41029
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotoriousLAR View Post


True. Conor isn't on that level yet, similiar star power though. My point was if an entertaining and marketable fighter wants to fight just for the hell of it, I see no reason anyone should complain.


It's more so because of what Conor was saying leading up to all of this. Talking down to Aldo, Mendes, Cub, the whole division. Then all of a sudden he wants to fight Diego? It's a let down. Don't want to see him waste fights right now.

post #4705 of 41029
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Van Ho View Post


It's more so because of what Conor was saying leading up to all of this. Talking down to Aldo, Mendes, Cub, the whole division. Then all of a sudden he wants to fight Diego? It's a let down. Don't want to see him waste fights right now.

Word. I get that. I don't either. As a fan, I want him fighting for the belt next. I've seen a lot of people, not just on here, saying he was picking easy fights and the UFC was favoring him if this thing in Mexico happened. That, I don't get.

Dana pretty much squashed the whole idea anyway.
UConn Huskies - New York Yankees - New York Giants - Manchester United
Reply
UConn Huskies - New York Yankees - New York Giants - Manchester United
Reply
post #4706 of 41029

I was against the Conor/Diego matchup because he gained nothing from it and had a lot to lose. The chances he would lose were slim but if he did, it would hurt his chances at getting the next title shot at 145 lbs. Especially with Dana now saying that he probably will get the next shot because "If you go down the list, every one of those guys has fought Jose Aldo already, White said to UFC.com on Thursday. Conor hasn't. So who do you line up next for the champ other than Conor? Everybody else has fought him." Plus if Conor got hurt in a fight with Diego, everyone would be ripping him and UFC for making the fight.

 

I get that he wants to keep fighting so he can keep making money, but he could end up making more money waiting for a title shot next and winning.

post #4707 of 41029
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotoriousLAR View Post


Word. I get that. I don't either. As a fan, I want him fighting for the belt next. I've seen a lot of people, not just on here, saying he was picking easy fights and the UFC was favoring him if this thing in Mexico happened. That, I don't get.

Dana pretty much squashed the whole idea anyway.

I don't think the UFC has been favoring Conor at all to this point. They gave him 3 logical opponents to build him up. Now, if they give Conor an instant title shot then I'd say that's favoritism but as I've repeatedly said, you can't blame the UFC because that would be the fight that would make the most money.

 

I honestly think he should get the winner of Lamas/Bermudez, but the UFC will never do that. Again, I don't blame them.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyzPhan View Post
 

I was against the Conor/Diego matchup because he gained nothing from it and had a lot to lose. The chances he would lose were slim but if he did, it would hurt his chances at getting the next title shot at 145 lbs. Especially with Dana now saying that he probably will get the next shot because "If you go down the list, every one of those guys has fought Jose Aldo already, White said to UFC.com on Thursday. Conor hasn't. So who do you line up next for the champ other than Conor? Everybody else has fought him." Plus if Conor got hurt in a fight with Diego, everyone would be ripping him and UFC for making the fight.

 

I get that he wants to keep fighting so he can keep making money, but he could end up making more money waiting for a title shot next and winning.

Exactly. That's what I was saying when I said he should just wait. There will be a logical fight for him if he just waits out 3 different fights: Aldo/Mendes, Cub/Frankie, Lamas/Bermudez. Aint no reason to fight Diego. Dana knows better

post #4708 of 41029
The Diego fight would happen before the Swanson/Edgar or Bermudez/Lamas fights so he would still be ahead of those guys on the timeline.

But there's got to be some significance of him being in Brasil. Would be weird to already have a fight slated if he's there to issue a direct challenge.
post #4709 of 41029
How about the weekend??

Think Rory finally earns his shot??

Gunnar vs Story... Holloway in action again also.
post #4710 of 41029
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smedroc View Post

The Diego fight would happen before the Swanson/Edgar or Bermudez/Lamas fights so he would still be ahead of those guys on the timeline.

But there's got to be some significance of him being in Brasil. Would be weird to already have a fight slated if he's there to issue a direct challenge.

 

And he'd still be risking injury on an irrelevant unnecessary fight in a completely different weight class. Not to mention Conor has ligament damage in his right thumb that hasn't even healed yet. Putting his health in jeopardy over that match is pretty risky (stupid IMO).

 

The fact that he'll be in Brazil for the Aldo/Mendes fight is obviously the UFC's desire to put Conor as the #1 contender. Dana yesterday told UFC.com that Conor is the logical #1 contender because "Aldo has beat everyone already" which isn't fully true, Bermudez has the longest active win streak in the division and if he beat Lamas I think he'd be ahead of Conor. Cub Swanson fight happened 5 years ago (on a flash KO) and would fully 100% deserve a rematch if Cub beat Frankie. Again, I don't blame the UFC for putting out this somewhat murky message that Conor is the logical #1 contender, they want to make money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smedroc View Post

How about the weekend??

Think Rory finally earns his shot??

Gunnar vs Story... Holloway in action again also.

Rory will get a title shot with a win. Ariel pretty much confirmed this on UFC Tonight. It makes sense too.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sports & Training
NikeTalk › NikeTalk Forums › The Lounge › Sports & Training › The MMA Thread: DON'T ASK 4 STREAMS & NO GIFS- Huge Bellator Card: SAT 6/24 on Spike/PPV @5PM