NikeTalk › NikeTalk Forums › The Lounge › General › DC: Tow Truck Driver Charged with 2nd Degree Murder After Killing Man that Robbed Him
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

DC: Tow Truck Driver Charged with 2nd Degree Murder After Killing Man that Robbed Him

post #1 of 68
Thread Starter 

Tow truck driver charged with murder after police say he ran down man who robbed him

 
By Peter HermannUpdated: Wednesday, January 1, 7:41 PM 

 

Kevin Lewis Crouch walked into a tow lot in Northeast Washington on Tuesday afternoon and asked about a green car. But D.C. police said the 22-year-old man quickly pulled a gun on the tow truck driver who was trying to help him and demanded money.

The driver began to run but tripped and fell, police said, and Crouch struck him twice in the head with the butt of his gun. The driver then heaved his wallet against a fence of the lot on Kenilworth Avenue.

As Crouch went to grab the wallet, police said, the driver climbed into his white Isuzu tow truck and then fatally struck his assailant. On Wednesday, the victim of the armed robbery became a criminal suspect. Police charged Corey D. Stoddard, 35, of Northeast Washington, with second-degree murder while armed, his tow truck being the weapon.

Police said that Crouch was dragged along a sidewalk and that authorities found a pellet gun broken into three pieces under his body when they rolled him over to give him first aid. The death was ruled a homicide late Tuesday — the 104th and final slaying in the District last year.

At Stoddard’s initial appearance in D.C. Superior Court on Wednesday, a judge ordered him released and placed in a high-intensity supervision program, meaning he must wear an electronic monitoring bracelet.

A preliminary hearing has been scheduled for Jan. 22. Neither Stoddard nor his relatives could be reached for comment Wednesday. A person who answered the phone at the towing company, next to a gas station on the busy road that runs parallel to the Anacostia Freeway, declined to comment. No lawyer was listed on the court docket.

In 2012, Stoddard was charged in the District with driving on a suspended license and possession of drugs; those charges were dismissed in September after court records show he successfully completed a drug treatment program and performed community service.

Crouch, who lived in Southeast Washington, was convicted in 2009 in a carjacking in Prince George’s County, online court records show. He was 17 when he committed the offense and was held as an adult. Prosecutors dropped several gun and assault charges as part of a plea agreement, court records show. He was sentenced to four years, which were served in a youth facility.

Attempts to reach Crouch’s relatives were unsuccessful Wednesday.

The police report said the incident began about 12:45 p.m. as Stoddard was helping a customer remove a license plate from a vehicle. The report said Crouch walked into the lot and asked the customer, “Do you have a green car here?”

Stoddard interjected, telling Crouch that the man didn’t work at the lot, and adding, “We don’t have any green car here.”

He then asked Crouch, “Who told you we have your car here?”

Crouch answered with an expletive, the police report said, and pulled out a dark-colored gun and pointed it at Stoddard. “Give the [expletive] up,” Crouch said, according to the police report.

The customer ran to the back of the parking lot, hid behind a car and called police on his cellphone.

Another employee who was nearby also ran. Police said Stoddard tried to run but slid near a gate in a fence and fell to the ground. “Crouch ran to Stoddard and struck him twice on the head with his pistol,” the police report said. “Stoddard then pulled out his wallet and threw it toward the fence and ran in the opposite direction.”

Police said a witness saw Crouch run to the fence and apparently pick up the wallet. “Stoddard stated to officers that he ran back to the tow truck, which was parked on lot,” the report said. “He stated further that he got in the tow truck and ran over Crouch . . . by the corner of the fence.”

Police said Crouch was dragged along a sidewalk and died less than three hours after arriving at a hospital in Prince George’s County.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/crime/tow-truck-driver-charged-with-murder-after-police-say-he-ran-down-man-who-robbed-him/2014/01/01/7ea33042-72ff-11e3-9389-09ef9944065e_story.html

Livin' La Vida Broka
Reply
Livin' La Vida Broka
Reply
post #2 of 68

i supervise a towing company in miami ....heard this before.....if the police can confirm that this guy was attacked and robbed.....being hit with the butt of a gun is good enough for attempted murder for me , this seems like an obvious "self defense" situation....the dude was working and he was robbed and attacked ......wtf was he supposed to do ?

no longer the weeknd of the crew cause beauty behind the madness sucks

giannis is a future nba star

Reply

no longer the weeknd of the crew cause beauty behind the madness sucks

giannis is a future nba star

Reply
post #3 of 68
Our justice system is so flawed...
post #4 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLLiCiT305 View Post

i supervise a towing company in miami ....heard this before.....if the police can confirm that this guy was attacked and robbed.....being hit with the butt of a gun is good enough for attempted murder for me , this seems like an obvious "self defense" situation....the dude was working and he was robbed and attacked ......wtf was he supposed to do ?

Can't claim self defense because he went after the aggressor, at that point his life was no longer in danger...it sucks but he will prolly end up paying for killing the thief.
post #5 of 68
I forgot the name of the movie with Ethan Hawke I believe....it was a similar situation, good family man, some punk breaks into his house, thief gets caught in the act and tries to escape, gets beat to death with a bat on the front lawn of the house, dude ends up getting hit with 3 years for an involuntary manslaughter charge...I think through the movie he did like 3 extra years over BS...movie is sad as hell....but yeah, you get attacked, kill the aggressor while he's attacking you, don't chase him down after and kill him because at the very least you'll pay for involuntary manslaughter...

Like I said, Justice system is sick.gif
post #6 of 68
Justice system is a joke. He needs some affluenza to beat the case.

If you try and rob someone and for whatever reason your attempt backfires. No way should the person who took matters into his own hand get charged.
post #7 of 68

lawyer : my client was just hit in the head twice with a weapon , and was being robbed with that weapon . I dont think my client was in a fair state to say he " went after " the aggressor when the aggressor originally came into the lot where this person was working ? i know i dont know ish but hey , seems like a viable argument , guy has a couple arrests pertaining to drugs or car thefts ( every tow truck driver in the world trust ) , but it dont seem like hes the one pulling guns on people and robbing them and threatening lives.....

no longer the weeknd of the crew cause beauty behind the madness sucks

giannis is a future nba star

Reply

no longer the weeknd of the crew cause beauty behind the madness sucks

giannis is a future nba star

Reply
post #8 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksteezy View Post

I forgot the name of the movie with Ethan Hawke I believe....it was a similar situation, good family man, some punk breaks into his house, thief gets caught in the act and tries to escape, gets beat to death with a bat on the front lawn of the house, dude ends up getting hit with 3 years for an involuntary manslaughter charge...I think through the movie he did like 3 extra years over BS...movie is sad as hell....but yeah, you get attacked, kill the aggressor while he's attacking you, don't chase him down after and kill him because at the very least you'll pay for involuntary manslaughter...

Like I said, Justice system is sick.gif

That movie was called Felon...
post #9 of 68
Honestly I dont see the issue here since he was robbed with a deadly weapon. Now the fact that he ran him over is a bit extreme but in the heat of the moment I can easily see myself doing the same.
post #10 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milestailsprowe View Post

Honestly I dont see the issue here since he was robbed with a deadly weapon. Now the fact that he ran him over is a bit extreme but in the heat of the moment I can easily see myself doing the same.

 

 

If there's clear evidence of the robbery taking place then dude should be awarded a medal for taking some scum bag out of our society.  Our "justice" system is anything but that, it's disgusting :{.  The thing that sucks is we're so comfortable, myself included, that we'll never prompt a change to it...

SF Giants, SF 49ers, SA Spurs...
Reply
SF Giants, SF 49ers, SA Spurs...
Reply
post #11 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Degenerate423 View Post


If there's clear evidence of the robbery taking place then dude should be awarded a medal for taking some scum bag out of our society.  Our "justice" system is anything but that, it's disgusting mean.gif .  The thing that sucks is we're so comfortable, myself included, that we'll never prompt a change to it...

whats disgusting is the amount of people in here that think death is a suitable punishment for robbery. I mean, where are you people from? China?
POLO RALPH LAUREN PIECES


IG: math_shoes #mathshoes //// Facebook: www.facebook.com/mathshoes67
Reply
POLO RALPH LAUREN PIECES


IG: math_shoes #mathshoes //// Facebook: www.facebook.com/mathshoes67
Reply
post #12 of 68
Oh look it's frankmarthews making excuses and rationalizing the behavior of the scum of the earth and sympathizing with them.

What else is new. Maybe the robber here was just misunderstood and we shouldn't judge him.
post #13 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedric Ceballos View Post

Oh look it's frankmarthews making excuses and rationalizing the behavior of the scum of the earth and sympathizing with them.

What else is new. Maybe the robber here was just misunderstood and we shouldn't judge him.

So you rob someone, you die? That's your view of justice? Just to be clear.
POLO RALPH LAUREN PIECES


IG: math_shoes #mathshoes //// Facebook: www.facebook.com/mathshoes67
Reply
POLO RALPH LAUREN PIECES


IG: math_shoes #mathshoes //// Facebook: www.facebook.com/mathshoes67
Reply
post #14 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMatthews View Post

So you rob someone, you die? That's your view of justice? Just to be clear.

Isn't always the case but you run the risk of messing with the wrong person and if they decide to take matters into their own hands then that's life.

A gun wasnt used in this case but there's a reason why people have a right to own a firearm.
post #15 of 68
How about this though. Maybe people shouldn't try and rob or cause harm to others in the first place and they won't run the risk of trying the wrong person.
post #16 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMatthews View Post


So you rob someone, you die? That's your view of justice? Just to be clear.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMatthews View Post


whats disgusting is the amount of people in here that think death is a suitable punishment for robbery. I mean, where are you people from? China?

 

 

Yes! Death is a perfectly suitable punishment for armed robbery.

Don't rob people if you don't want to deal with all the possible consequences... ESPECIALLY not with a weapon

Can't even believe you or anyone thinks thats not a good reason to get killed

 

We have laws so that we can live like civilized people and not like animals in the jungle. The second someone breaks those laws and threatens my life for my what belongs to me... They are stepping out of the protection of legal social contracts into the law of nature. Kill or be killed. 

 

Most crimes and offenses pretty much boil down to taking what doesn't belong to you. That could be taking a wallet, taking someone's freedom to do something or live safely, or even taking away someone else's life.  No one should get to gamble on threatening someones life and only have to worry about losing some petty time or money. Once you step into that realm, all bets are off.

post #17 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedric Ceballos View Post

Isn't always the case but you run the risk of messing with the wrong person and if they decide to take matters into their own hands then that's life.

A gun wasn't used in this case but there's a reason why people have a right to own a firearm.

Yes of course he took that risk and it ended up costing him, that IS life. It is criminal to take matters into your own hands, as you say, though. To sit here and talk about awarding someone for taking a life and what a travesty it is that he should face criminal charges is upsetting to me. Do you think if we kill all the killers we'll get rid of all the murderers?

I feel like people act so anti-violence/anti-crime but yet advocate even more extreme violence and crime as a response to it.
POLO RALPH LAUREN PIECES


IG: math_shoes #mathshoes //// Facebook: www.facebook.com/mathshoes67
Reply
POLO RALPH LAUREN PIECES


IG: math_shoes #mathshoes //// Facebook: www.facebook.com/mathshoes67
Reply
post #18 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLee23 View Post



Yes! Death is a perfectly suitable punishment for armed robbery.
Don't rob people if you don't want to deal with all the possible consequences... ESPECIALLY not with a weapon
Can't even believe you or anyone thinks thats not a good reason to get killed

We have laws so that we can live like civilized people and not like animals in the jungle. The second someone breaks those laws and threatens my life for my what belongs to me... They are stepping out of the protection of legal social contracts into the law of nature. Kill or be killed. 

Most crimes and offenses pretty much boil down to taking what doesn't belong to you. That could be taking a wallet, taking someone's freedom to do something or live safely, or even taking away someone else's life.  No one should get to gamble on threatening someones life and only have to worry about losing some petty time or money. Once you step into that realm, all bets are off.

I'm not really trying to argue with you but I will say there is a clear distinction between protecting your life from someone threatening it and taking revenge on someone who threatened your life. You can have your opinion but thankfully the justice systems of the entire western world disagree with you. wink.gif Death, particularly without due process, is not a suitable punishment for armed robbery, ever, anywhere. Why you think it is is a reflection of your own insecurities and fears I would imagine.
POLO RALPH LAUREN PIECES


IG: math_shoes #mathshoes //// Facebook: www.facebook.com/mathshoes67
Reply
POLO RALPH LAUREN PIECES


IG: math_shoes #mathshoes //// Facebook: www.facebook.com/mathshoes67
Reply
post #19 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMatthews View Post

I'm not really trying to argue with you but I will say there is a clear distinction between protecting your life from someone threatening it and taking revenge on someone who threatened your life. You can have your opinion but thankfully the justice systems of the entire western world disagree with you. wink.gif Death, particularly without due process, is not a suitable punishment for armed robbery, ever, anywhere. Why you think it is is a reflection of your own insecurities and fears I would imagine.

lol your joking , right ?
post #20 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMatthews View Post

whats disgusting is the amount of people in here that think death is a suitable punishment for robbery. I mean, where are you people from? China?


You make it seem like we're calling for the guy's head because he stole candy from a grocery store. Had the robber survived, he's liable to rob someone else and pull the trigger this time costing someone their life, for what? I don't want to live in a society where I have to watch my back because I have something as minute as a pair of Nikes.
SF Giants, SF 49ers, SA Spurs...
Reply
SF Giants, SF 49ers, SA Spurs...
Reply
post #21 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMatthews View Post


I'm not really trying to argue with you but I will say there is a clear distinction between protecting your life from someone threatening it and taking revenge on someone who threatened your life. You can have your opinion but thankfully the justice systems of the entire western world disagree with you. wink.gif Death, particularly without due process, is not a suitable punishment for armed robbery, ever, anywhere. Why you think it is is a reflection of your own insecurities and fears I would imagine.
 
I'm all for due process don't get me wrong. But I believe the primary role of due process is to protect the wrongfully accused, not to shelter criminals from situational consequences and ultimately waste taxpayer dollars housing and feeding them.. 
But I don't think we are seeing this the same way. You used the word revenge as if the tow truck driver killed him as pre-meditated retribution for the act of robbery specifically. I don't have all the details and evidence, but reading the article, I think that the tow truck driver really perceived his life was in danger. Throwing his wallet and running to the truck were both in an attempt to get himself out of harms way and eliminate the threat. He could have been shot for throwing his wallet or at anytime running to the truck and even driving away if the gun were real. Not to mention there were other people in the area who were also in danger. He was in an unfamiliar and unpredictable situation and I think that he reasoned what he thought was the best course of action in a panicked situation. If you think that the justice systems disagree with me. Point a gun at a police officer and tell me if they take you in for due process... or if the police officer get charged with murder. 
post #22 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLLiCiT305 View Post
 

lawyer : my client was just hit in the head twice with a weapon , and was being robbed with that weapon . I dont think my client was in a fair state to say he " went after " the aggressor when the aggressor originally came into the lot where this person was working ? i know i dont know ish but hey , seems like a viable argument , guy has a couple arrests pertaining to drugs or car thefts ( every tow truck driver in the world trust ) , but it dont seem like hes the one pulling guns on people and robbing them and threatening lives.....

 

THIS ^^ he should be able to get off just by saying this....

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMatthews View Post


whats disgusting is the amount of people in here that think death is a suitable punishment for robbery. I mean, where are you people from? China?

^ofcourse. robbery alot of times ends with death and the tow driver is lucky because he ran from the robber and when you run you usually get shot in the back or head..

 

 

 

And the driver should get off based off fleeing felony suspect law. That is how my uncle got off

 

"At Common law, the Fleeing Felon Rule permits the use of force, including deadly force, against an individual who is suspected of a felony and is in clear flight."

 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fleeing_felon_rule

post #23 of 68
I kind of agree with dude saying people should not be advocating people dying for committing a crime.
post #24 of 68
This is all I'm saying.

If people were killed for robbing people, there would be less robberies.

If someone ever breaks into my house, they won't make it out.
E q u i p o T R I c o l o r W$GT$
Reply
E q u i p o T R I c o l o r W$GT$
Reply
post #25 of 68
If you commit the crime your taking a risk though not knowing who your messing with.

If someone tries to rob another person and during the course of that attempted robbery, the robber ends up dead who's fault is it really?

Most the time people try to rob or stick up someone they do it because they think their an easy target.

If a robber dies during an attempted robbery, the loss of life could be considered unfortunate I guess but he knew the risk he was taking before partaking in his illegal violent actions.
post #26 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by zapatohead408 View Post

This is all I'm saying.

If people were killed for robbing people, there would be less robberies.

If someone ever breaks into my house, they won't make it out.

not the best argument

it would be true for all crimes, you can literally plug in almost any crime into this argument and it stands.

I agree about this case though, there are clear flaws. Hope dude gets off
post #27 of 68
Hmm tricky. Honestly wouldn't have happened if he wasn't getting robbed or there wasn't a gun. I'm sure dude feared for his life and just acted out of instinct.

Don't think he just intentionally or originally wanted to kill him or had intent to
.
Reply
.
Reply
post #28 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by zapatohead408 View Post

If people were killed for robbing people, there would be less robberies.

sick.gif thank god I aint die for stealing those bag of chips
post #29 of 68

premeditated not in hot pursuit is why he got murder

he had time to think about what he was doing

post #30 of 68

not condoning hitting the guy. But if i get robbed and pistol whipped I would run that guy over also. sucks that hes doing some time over this.

1

Reply

1

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General
NikeTalk › NikeTalk Forums › The Lounge › General › DC: Tow Truck Driver Charged with 2nd Degree Murder After Killing Man that Robbed Him