The Official Mortal Kombat X Thread (KOMBAT PACK 2 AVAILABLE NOW FOR PSN & XBL) - Page 14
Ed Boon is a sick puppy. Doing MK 9 he wasn't sure how the Social Justice Warriors would take the game so he was walking on a thin line. Now, however, he sees that they weren't throwing their usual sissy fits so he's going to go all out. I watched a few interviews and saw a twinkle of darkness in his eye discussing the new fatalities and X-Rays. This game is going to deliver. Best fighting game of the year it releases in; EASY.
* Please note that even though all the information we have provided here is accurate and correct from the Gamescom build, Mortal Kombat X is still in active development. Therefore certain elements and details could be subject to change as the game takes shape over at NetherRealm Studios. We shall update this page further if forgotten details spring to memory.
Our many presentations began and ended in a similar fashion, Derek Kirtzic, Brian Goodman and Hans Lo all provided commentary to the video presentation at different times of day.
The demonstration begins with covering the basics, most of which was covered at E3, going over the character variations for Scorpion and Sub-Zero. They then introduced us to the many ways you can gain leverage using the environment. When it came to 'Finish Him', Scorpion was the victor and the team deliberately failed the input for his elusive Fatality. Engaging us by stating that the real gory fun is yet to come.
After this they introduced Raiden and Kano for the first gameplay footage outside of their respective trailers, showcasing both of their multiple variations and the recently revealed Jungle stage. We then got to see Kano's fatality in full. it was mind-blowing!
They then rolled out a special 'Finish Him' Fatality montage trailer which compiled some of the goriest moments from the Fatalities we have all already seen. To end the presentation they revealed Scorpion's Fatality in its entirety so we could all witness the infamous finisher in full, glorious HD!
We were then directed to the various MKX stations across from the theatre seating with both Xbox One and Playstation 4 versions available for play. Below you will find new information we were able to discover in our playthroughs, discussions with the team. For even more information, clarifications and confirmations, check out our interview with the legendary Ed Boon right here!
Mortal Kombat X is absolutely fantastic, NetherRealm seem to have honed their craft with this instalment and there is nothing that greatly concerns us. The only concern we have is balancing. With three variations for each character and a roster that will match or exceed MK9, the team certainly have their work cut out for them, but we are incredibly confident that the finished product will be the defining game in the Mortal Kombat franchise.
Below are some details and information on characters, moves and other miscellaneous tidbits we managed to compile during our time with the game.
- Universal Moves across all variations: Spear, Teleport and Leg Takedown.
- According to NetherRealm Studios, Scorpion is overall the most damaging character in the Gamescom build. They clarified that this is likely to change with further development, balance tweaks and retail patch updates.
- Universal Moves across all variations: Ice Ball and Slide.
- The special move 'Frozen Aura' in his Unbreakable variation allows Sub-Zero to absorb one or two hits without stun, etc. Enhanced version increases the amount of hits he can endure before it wears off. Visually the move encases him entirely in a thin layer of jagged ice.
- Victory Pose: He constructs an ornate Kori Blade with his hands which he then forcibly sheathes into the ground. Camera pans in close to his face and he clasps his fist into an open palm.
- Updated X-Ray: Raiden begins with the same electrifying move in his previous X-Ray then uppercuts his opponent into the air. As they travel through thundering clouds, Raiden flies up and jams his hands into their chest allowing you to see their skeletal structure become overwhelmed with electricity. He then punches the opponent back to ground level and as they bounce up from impact, he zooms back down and catches them with a rising knee, snapping their spine in half.
- In his 'Thunder God' variation, Raiden can charge the electricity effects In many of his basic combos which will amplify the damage output slightly.
- Raiden has a unique blocking animation. Whilst blocking he teases a column of concentrated electricity between his hands.
- Victory Pose: Raiden begins to discharge and conduct various electricity effects before standing stoic in a solemn close-up pose.
- If Raiden is defeated, his hat will fall from his head when 'Finish Him' appears. This may be to prevent any glitches/issues with Fatalities.
- Full Fatality: Kano unsheathes one of his knives and swiftly cuts into the opponent abdomen which causes intestines to spill out onto the ground. As the character begins to drop to their knees, Kano grabs them from behind and hoists them up in front of him as he proceeds to burn through their skull with his eye laser, leaving a huge, smouldering hole through their head.
- Universal moves across all three of his variations are: Kano Ball, Up Ball, Air Ball and Knife Throw.
- Kano Ball (horizontal) and Air Ball (downward diagonal) are performed with Back Forward A / X.
- Up Ball is performed with same command input as MK9.
- In his 'Cutthroat' variation, you can input a command where he will pound his heart implant which will increase his overall damage output for a limited time.
- in his mid-round victory pose, Kano will pummel his head with his fists multiple times whilst s******ing.
- The enhanced choke special (Commando variation) has Kano choking the opponent for a longer duration before finishing by lifting them by the throat and stabbing them multiple times with his knife.
- Victory Pose: Kano utters "Nothing personal mate" then begins to play with his knife before stopping to perform a 'ear to ear' motion on his neck. He then begins to casually shave his beard with the blade.
- X-Ray: Cassie begins by twirling her batons at long range at the opponent, upon connecting she then uses an incendiary device that explodes in the opponents face. She then cartwheels into the opponent and slides down into the spits to perform a crotch punch (modelled testicles/cameltoe for females) - after this she crushes the opponents skull at the temples with the butts of her akimbo pistols before firing off two bullets into their eye sockets, throwing them mid-full screen.
- Cassie has a command input taunt in one of her variations where she performs a salute.
- Her D1 is very similar to Mileena's in MK9 which is quite useless. Hopefully she will receive something more useful.
- If you play a Cassie Cage mirror-match, the Player 2 Cassie Cage will have a yellowish-green bodysuit centre colouring instead of her default.
- Cassie's Nut Kracker special move (Hollywood variation) has her drop to her knees before punching the opponent in the crotch with both fists in unison.
- Her tied-up bun hairstyle is her final hair. The cropped bob hairstyle was a previous design experiment.
- Cassie is still being polished and developed further so her posture, animations and character model are still being worked on.
- Her X-Ray hasn't been shown publicly yet due to the graphic depiction of ball busting.
- There is no direct relation to Shao Kahn, 'Kahn' is confirmed to be a title bestowed upon the ruling emperors of Outworld.
- He was never planned to be included in any previous Mortal Kombat game despite Hector Sanchez stating on Twitter that he had waited nearly 20 years to see an 'Aztec God'.
- Kotal Kahn is confirmed to be from Outworld.
- Special Moves in his War God variation: Blood Offering, God Ray, Air Takedown, Saw Blade, Sword Toss, Overhead Sword Strike and Sword Sweep.
- You will see his rise and fall to power as the Emperor of Outworld throughout the story.
- Has some of the most damage-heavy chain combos.
- As you perform specific special moves and chain combos, the inscriptions on his body will begin to glow brighter.
- Victory Pose: Kotal pulls out his short blade, drops to his knees and slices open one of his palms whilst muttering an unknown phrase before slamming his palms together and closing his eyes.
- Has some form of relationship with Kotal Kahn.
- Is one of the game designers favourite characters on the roster. He took the liberty to show off with her, demonstrating some long and gnarly combos.
- Her pokes seem to have the longest range out of the right characters present in this build.
- D'Vorah has a lot of 50/50 mix-ups which allows for some crazy pressure and rushdowns.
- Her Venomous variations ovipositor attacks will do slight damage over time.
- Can do standing resets in Venomous if you time her acid spray special right and you get a 50/50 mix-up off that too.
- When fighting against Cassie Cage, Ferra will shout "Break her face!" in the mid-round victory pose to Torr.
- Victory Pose: Ferra leaps up onto Torr's shoulders whilst acting gleeful and cheering. She then stops to playfully pull and squeeze at Torr's head before resting her head on his.
- Universal special moves for characters are listed in white text when pressing Start and variation specific special moves appear beneath them in gold text.
-Similar listing style to Injustice (if not more detailed); with move descriptions, enhanced/meter-burn inputs and explanations, etc.
- There are five finishing moves listed as '?????' in this build of the game. Our interview with Ed Boon has confirmed that it won't be that many in the final build.
- Frame Data for moves has the following information: Startup Frames, Active Frames, Recovery Frames, Block Advantage Frames, Hit Advantage Frames and Cancel Frames.
- Basic combo starters and strings again have unique names personalised to the character.
CHARACTER INTRO DIALOGUE:
Out of all the matches we managed to play we have only managed to grab a handful of intro dialogues. Some days the MKX stations were not outputting sound and the other days had them at a very low volume. It doesn't help that Gamescom is a very noisy environment, but we have done our best to extract what we could. Subtitles were unavailable in this build.
Kano Vs. Raiden:
- Kano: "Hmm, the big cheese"
- Raiden: "This day will not end well for you..."
- Kano: "*spits* Get your crystal ball fixed!"
Kano Vs. Cassie Cage:
- Kano: "Over here sweetheart."
- Cassie Cage: "Your grandmother wants her teeth back!"
- Kano: ***Inaudible***
Cassie Cage Vs. Cassie Cage:
- Cassie Cage 1: "Funny."
- Cassie Cage 2: "You know what's funny? Your face."
- Cassie Cage 1: "Dude, you've just insulted yourself..."
D'Vorah Vs. Kotal Kahn:
- D'Vorah: "Kotal..."
- Kotal Kahn: "With which face do you see me?"
- D'Vorah: "There is no power greater than ours!"
Scorpion Vs. Sub-Zero:
- Scorpion: ***Inaudible***
- Sub-Zero: "Prepare to rejoin your clan!"
- Scorpion: ***Inaudible***
Sub-Zero Vs. Raiden:
- Sub-Zero: ***Inaudible***
- Raiden: "I am their protector, not you!"
- Sub-Zero: ***Inaudible***
Ferra/Torr Vs. Cassie Cage:
- Ferra/Torr: "Such pretty eyes!"
- Cassie Cage: "Got a thing for eyes do ya?"
- Ferra/Torr: ***Inaudible*** "both get one." ***Inaudible***
- The game is faster-paced than MK9 and marginally faster than Injustice: Gods Among Us.
- The Gamescom build was completed a week prior to the showing.
- Some specific character variations will have a command input taunt. Some may give additional super-meter among other benefits, etc.
- Forward and Backward Throws are still present.
- Throws can now be meter-burned. So you can into a 50/50 from a meter-burned grab.
- All models now have trackable damage. For example if Scorpion slashes his opponent at the chest with his sword, a gash will appear in sync with the slash. Hitting D'Vorah for example in the face with the tree branch in Snow Forest will leave a gaping wound in her cheek.
- Character models will have a wet sheen effect over them and drip slightly when knocked into or splash into the water on the Jungle stage.
- Mud and Dirt will cake and stick to character models when knocked or rolling on the Jungle stage ground.
- Snow will fall onto character models and dissolve during the fight in the Snow Forest.
- Characters develop beads of sweat and a sheen to their exposed skin during intense kombat.
- All Fatalities in this build were performed at mid-screen distance with Down Down X / Square.
- There are EX (enhanced) and meter-burn special moves.
- You can meter-burn some combos.
- Some characters will have unique blocking animations.
- Dash-cancelling is not present in this build and it is not likely it will be included.
- Forward Forward RT / R2 is the command input for running.
- You can begin a combo directly after running and use running to extend combos.
- Running can be cancelled at any time during the animation, even into a dash.
- The Stamina Meter dictates the duration of running.
- Forward and Backward dashing will deplete the Stamina Meter.
- Crossups seem to operate the same as they did in MK9, though this could be subject to change.
- All characters share universal moves such as the uppercut D2 and a sweep, but all have unique animations that reflect the characters personalised styles.
- Characters have unique air jump-in attacks.
- Can still perform a standing neutral jump attack which will allow for pop-ups.
- Environmental interactions can be meter-burned but are still fully blockable.
- X-Rays are currently set at 30-32% damage but if they end or lead into a combo, scaling will still govern the overall damage.
- The main menu consisted of 'Versus' and 'Ladder' only.
* We would like to thank Ed Boon for the interview and autographing our custom Mortal Kombat X posters. Extend our gratitude to Derek Kirtzic, Brian Goodman and Hans Lo for multiple presentations, hands-on sessions with Mortal Kombat X, autographing our custom Mortal Kombat X posters and for providing us with official Mortal Kombat X t-shirts. And a special thank you to Kehau Rodenhurst and Mark Ward of Warner Bros. PR for booking and organising our appointments and interview.
it will show the testicles bursting lol They just can't show it to the public lol
Fujin is not a failure bruh lol His role in the MK storyline is very important since he's a the wind god and alot of old school MK heads want him back on this new Mortal Kombat installment. Look how dope NRS made Quan Chi in MK9 so i'm sure NRS can make Fujin hella wavy lol
- 1,952 Posts. Joined 7/2012
- Location: Dallas Tx
- Reputation: 834
- Select All Posts By This User
dude is just good at marketing
he knows the fans and thats a damn good thing
they have had some hits and a fare share of misses (what company doesn't)
but he knows what hhe is doing he know dudes know these games and are able to pick up on certain things
NTer formally know as Mrsouthernhospitality
NTer formally know as Mrsouthernhospitality
-Fujin (easily the best, if he makes it I hope they give him his lazer bow back)
-Kenshi (like what they did to him in MK2011)
-Nitara (at least she looked cool. Plus the idea of having a ******* vampire in MK sounds good..)
And thats it.........
I think we have a better chance of seeing a Mileena , Baraka offspring lol
Plenty if people play KI. I still wouldn't want to see any guest characters from any other franchise.
Matter of fact **** guest characters.
Liu Kang will be the final boss after shinnok and kotal kahn