NikeTalk › NikeTalk Forums › The Lounge › General › Information Technology (IT)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Information Technology (IT) - Page 91

post #2701 of 2736
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderjericho View Post


Man. Those top movers and shakers. Just milking the government.


CASH COWS :lol .

 

Starting a minority owned small defense contractor business might be my ultimate goal , just a small slice of the pie .01% and your eating.

Know a guy with 3 small minority owned defense contractor businesses that make 18M/yr he's chilling hard .

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Antony View Post

I feel wild stupid turning down a high visibility Northrop Grumman gig because it was lateral at the time not thinking ahead.


Just apply to a bunch of positions man , you should be able to land something . Then start maneuvering .

post #2702 of 2736

Starting a minority owned small defense contractor business ....please talk more about this...i'm interested 

post #2703 of 2736
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldGoneMad View Post

anyone ever get too comfortable in the help desk role?

i mean, its so chill... taking calls, sending tickets to the proper team or fixing the issue while remoting in in a temperature controlled room.

I guess the pay isnt anything too great but yea... i feel like I should start studying for my security plus now but i just started this help desk role and i dont mind it tbh.

but i have worked in desktop support for 2.5 years prior so i need to move on out of help desk/desktop support.

also, is it a good idea to get your network + before your security?

@WorldGoneMad

I don't think there is nothing wrong with help desk or desktop support a lot of people in the IT industry look at the help desk as an entry level positon which it really isn't. It takes some really good troubleshooting skills and customer service skills to do that job on the daily. Plus its your first line of support for your company for employees to call when they are having IT difficulties. Its a must needed role but its severely underpaid. I wish folks at help desk and desktop would protest and show these companies that cant run a network without them.

If the help desk position has potential for growth than stay. I saw a guy start at the bottom of the help desk stayed for a couple years next thing you know he was the manager of it.

I have Net+ and I would say its is worth it to understand how a network runs and talks before you should learn how to secure it. The more knowledge the better.
Team Lurker
Reply
Team Lurker
Reply
post #2704 of 2736
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayzOnMyToes View Post

@WorldGoneMad

I don't think there is nothing wrong with help desk or desktop support a lot of people in the IT industry look at the help desk as an entry level positon which it really isn't. It takes some really good troubleshooting skills and customer service skills to do that job on the daily. Plus its your first line of support for your company for employees to call when they are having IT difficulties. Its a must needed role but its severely underpaid. I wish folks at help desk and desktop would protest and show these companies that cant run a network without them.

If the help desk position has potential for growth than stay. I saw a guy start at the bottom of the help desk stayed for a couple years next thing you know he was the manager of it.

I have Net+ and I would say its is worth it to understand how a network runs and talks before you should learn how to secure it. The more knowledge the better.

yeah after 5 years in Help desk or desktop support you should try to branch out. its very underpaid and managers , directors and such often think the job is easily replaceable. I advise people daily to get your certs and move along 10 years help desk and desktop is max because you can be promoted to different tiers within that time while gaining knowledge and experience.
post #2705 of 2736
After a couple months of searching for a summer internship, I heard back from a few companies for interviews. Seems like March and April are the prime months for hiring. I have an in person interview with a company as an R & D intern next Wednesday and a video interview for another company in the next few days. Has anyone here worked R&D? Pros? Cons? Overall opinion?
post #2706 of 2736
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayzOnMyToes View Post

man it was actually quite peaceful, there was a stigma in Qatar if you committed a crime the penalties were quite hefty and they had cameras on every block in that country. I found it crazy being my first time out there as a contractor to find many American companies they even had a TGI Fridays. laugh.gif I was in country during Ramadan and found out the hard way but other than that you will stick out like an American but they aint messing with you in Qatar like that. It was hot as hell out there tho 100+ degrees in the middle of the night and it rained 1 time over there in the 6 months I was there sick.gif


That's good to know. Are most places closed during Ramandan? Do you have to stock up on food during that time? Sorry about all the questions laugh.gif.
SF Giants, SF 49ers, SA Spurs...
Reply
SF Giants, SF 49ers, SA Spurs...
Reply
post #2707 of 2736
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeezyGotSole View Post

@ForerunnerADL
 thanks man, yeah was just a leap of faith. Been my goal to get overseas since undergrad, coding was just a tool to help me get here.


That's why I got into coding too. I don't see myself doing it much longer, starting to look at other options.
SF Giants, SF 49ers, SA Spurs...
Reply
SF Giants, SF 49ers, SA Spurs...
Reply
post #2708 of 2736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Degenerate423 View Post

That's good to know. Are most places closed during Ramandan? Do you have to stock up on food during that time? Sorry about all the questions laugh.gif.

yea you couldn't be out during the day time, cant have exposed skin like wearing shorts, and you ate during the night to name a few. I worked with some of the nationals working outside in 100+ degree weather and they didnt eat lunch or breakfast sick.gif It was soo hot out there man it wears you out quickly
Team Lurker
Reply
Team Lurker
Reply
post #2709 of 2736
I just started working in a Application Support Role with a non profit healthcare company. A recruiter has been on my tail about another position and she offered me between 16-18k to jump ship.DK what to do because I'm just nearing my 90 days at the health company. mean.gif
post #2710 of 2736
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryEastwood View Post

I just started working in a Application Support Role with a non profit healthcare company. A recruiter has been on my tail about another position and she offered me between 16-18k to jump ship.DK what to do because I'm just nearing my 90 days at the health company. mean.gif
Scope out the other place, but 18k a pretty significant sum to ignore
post #2711 of 2736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafkin Johnson View Post
 

Starting a minority owned small defense contractor business ....please talk more about this...i'm interested 

I can't really tell you more I don't know what it takes to get one up and running. Not something I am doing in the near future.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degenerate423 View Post


That's why I got into coding too. I don't see myself doing it much longer, starting to look at other options.

I think thats the best use for coding if you aren't in love with it. 

post #2712 of 2736
Hey guys,

Im thinking of going back to school (Currently have Bachelors in non IT major) and obtaining a AS in Computer Science.
Is this even worth it?

Thank you
post #2713 of 2736
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayzOnMyToes View Post

@WorldGoneMad

I don't think there is nothing wrong with help desk or desktop support a lot of people in the IT industry look at the help desk as an entry level positon which it really isn't. It takes some really good troubleshooting skills and customer service skills to do that job on the daily. Plus its your first line of support for your company for employees to call when they are having IT difficulties. Its a must needed role but its severely underpaid. I wish folks at help desk and desktop would protest and show these companies that cant run a network without them.

If the help desk position has potential for growth than stay. I saw a guy start at the bottom of the help desk stayed for a couple years next thing you know he was the manager of it.

I have Net+ and I would say its is worth it to understand how a network runs and talks before you should learn how to secure it. The more knowledge the better.

laugh.gif

I'm sorry but I have to disagree with a lot of what you said here and here's why:

First off I've been working in the IT industry for 15+ years and most of it has been help desk, desktop support, and even sys admin & sys engineer jobs.

Help desk (call center environment) jobs: It is rightfully viewed as entry level as entry level tier 1 because like you said that person in that role is the 1st line of support. Most people who enter these jobs are usually are starting out in they're careers and are looking to add something to they're resume or are looking to get they're foot in the door with the company.The biggest problem I have with this type of work and why I'll NEVER go back to doing it is because the work environment is always terrible. It's a micro managed job, it's stressful because the person is always dealing with meeting certain stats, being audited, & reviewed on your calls, 70% of the time in this job role is more customer service related and pleasing the people you support instead of actual trouble shooting over the phone or remoting into a persons pc to try and resolve whatever issue they have. But mainly just being on the phone & sitting at a desk or cubicle for 8 or 10 hours a day just sucks and is so un healthy.

The #1 reason why this job is underpaid and is not valued so much today is because a lot of companies small, medium, or big have gone the route of outsourcing the help desk jobs to 3rd world countries like the Philippines & India.
Edited by MR J 858 - 4/25/17 at 3:13pm
post #2714 of 2736
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshKRN View Post

Hey guys,

Im thinking of going back to school (Currently have Bachelors in non IT major) and obtaining a AS in Computer Science.
Is this even worth it?

Thank you


Depends on what you are getting the CS degree for, also you really need a BS not AS in Comp Sci .

If you are interested in a bootcamp instead I think some people in the Programming thread have done one .

post #2715 of 2736
I finally completed my Associates in Computer support and I'm about to start WGU soon for IT-security. I've failed the the security + exam twice but I'm not discouraged. I'll be taking it again soon also. Are there any good programs I can run so I can get more experience maintaining firewalls and packet tracers? I have a security clearance working on C-130's but that's not gonna transfer well into the IT industry.
post #2716 of 2736
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingSteez View Post

I finally completed my Associates in Computer support and I'm about to start WGU soon for IT-security. I've failed the the security + exam twice but I'm not discouraged. I'll be taking it again soon also. Are there any good programs I can run so I can get more experience maintaining firewalls and packet tracers? I have a security clearance working on C-130's but that's not gonna transfer well into the IT industry.

Congrats. Setup a virturilized machine and a VLAN and just start testing different networking utilities and environments. Setup servers, protect them, try to bring them down. Attempt to infiltrate your own network at your house and etc. Just get your hands dirty legally. Check Reddit too for tips on testing and certs.
post #2717 of 2736
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshKRN View Post

Hey guys,

Im thinking of going back to school (Currently have Bachelors in non IT major) and obtaining a AS in Computer Science.
Is this even worth it?

Thank you

You might be able to do the same amount of hours if you shoot for an IT based field close to your current major to save hours and get Bachelors (4 year degree) if you did something like business or criminal justice.
post #2718 of 2736
Quote:
Originally Posted by H TOWN HUSTLER View Post

Congrats. Setup a virturilized machine and a VLAN and just start testing different networking utilities and environments. Setup servers, protect them, try to bring them down. Attempt to infiltrate your own network at your house and etc. Just get your hands dirty legally. Check Reddit too for tips on testing and certs.

Thank you!
post #2719 of 2736
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingSteez View Post

I finally completed my Associates in Computer support and I'm about to start WGU soon for IT-security. I've failed the the security + exam twice but I'm not discouraged. I'll be taking it again soon also. Are there any good programs I can run so I can get more experience maintaining firewalls and packet tracers? I have a security clearance working on C-130's but that's not gonna transfer well into the IT industry.

Get Certified Get Ahead

 

Sec+ Ebook

https://www.amazon.com/CompTIA-Security-Certified-Ahead-SY0-401/dp/1939136024

 

Practice exams and simulations

http://gcgapremium.com/sy0-401-security-practice-test-questions/

 

These materials are all you need to pass the exam. I passed with 3 weeks of studying .

post #2720 of 2736
How much time did you commit each day to studying
post #2721 of 2736
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeezyGotSole View Post

Get Certified Get Ahead


 



Sec+ Ebook



https://www.amazon.com/CompTIA-Security-Certified-Ahead-SY0-401/dp/1939136024



 



Practice exams and simulations



http://gcgapremium.com/sy0-401-security-practice-test-questions/



 



These materials are all you need to pass the exam. I passed with 3 weeks of studying .




Thank you!
Edited by KingSteez - 4/28/17 at 6:32pm
post #2722 of 2736
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDiginson View Post

How much time did you commit each day to studying

I studied while I was at work, so maybe 3-5 hours M-F. You know you are ready to take the exam once you consistently score above 90% on the readiness exam (2nd link). I was averaging around 95% so I went and took the test .

 

There is a bunch of information on TechExam forums about what they did to pass certification exams. Pretty much everyone on there uses Get Certified Get Ahead for Sec+ .

post #2723 of 2736
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR J 858 View Post


laugh.gif

I'm sorry but I have to disagree with a lot of what you said here and here's why:

First off I've been working in the IT industry for 15+ years and most of it has been help desk, desktop support, and even sys admin & sys engineer jobs.

Help desk (call center environment) jobs: It is rightfully viewed as entry level as entry level tier 1 because like you said that person in that role is the 1st line of support. Most people who enter these jobs are usually are starting out in they're careers and are looking to add something to they're resume or are looking to get they're foot in the door with the company.The biggest problem I have with this type of work and why I'll NEVER go back to doing it is because the work environment is always terrible. It's a micro managed job, it's stressful because the person is always dealing with meeting certain stats, being audited, & reviewed on your calls, 70% of the time in this job role is more customer service related and pleasing the people you support instead of actual trouble shooting over the phone or remoting into a persons pc to try and resolve whatever issue they have. But mainly just being on the phone & sitting at a desk or cubicle for 8 or 10 hours a day just sucks and is so un healthy.

The #1 reason why this job is underpaid and is not valued so much today is because a lot of companies small, medium, or big have gone the route of outsourcing the help desk jobs to 3rd world countries like the Philippines & India.

 

 

May I ask where you did help desk? it sounds like it was for a private company

 

I work as a contractor for the feds and im def. doing real troubleshooting. and I highly doubt the feds are ever going to outsource help desk roles to another country. 

 

someone correct me if im wrong.

im the best mayne, i deed it
Reply
im the best mayne, i deed it
Reply
post #2724 of 2736
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldGoneMad View Post
 

 

 

May I ask where you did help desk? it sounds like it was for a private company

 

I work as a contractor for the feds and im def. doing real troubleshooting. and I highly doubt the feds are ever going to outsource help desk roles to another country. 

 

someone correct me if im wrong.


Feds is not industry . Totally different realms , most companies are outsourcing help desk .

post #2725 of 2736
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldGoneMad View Post


May I ask where you did help desk? it sounds like it was for a private company

I work as a contractor for the feds and im def. doing real troubleshooting. and I highly doubt the feds are ever going to outsource help desk roles to another country. 

someone correct me if im wrong.

Yeah early 2000's for me was for a few private crappy companies who focused on being the out sourced company handling the call centers for companies like Gateway PC, Compaq PC, Micron PC, Telocity & Hughesnet DSL service.

Government wise. Yeah they do outsource as well. Back in 2002 The biggest contract the Navy & Marines outsourced and gave EDS which is now a division of HP was the NMCI contract which has a well known history for being HATED by literally everyone involved on it. laugh.gif .

As for working on government contracts or for the DoD. I've done it before. The pay is great but at the same time I honestly don't think it's worth putting up with the CRAP of GS civilian workers laugh.gif

Seriously here is what's wrong with the GS Civilian workers: It's one BIG "Good Ole Boys" fraternity. Where a lot of these people are retired or just got out of the military people who are looking to do another 20 years in their job just so they can double dip and collect a second retirement pension paycheck. Most of the time their work attitudes are bad where they are lazy, they b*tch & moan how they aren't making the same amount as a government contractor. Once a GS Civilian person is past they're probation period it is literally impossible for them to get fired.
post #2726 of 2736
I just got out of HPE and the NMCI contract (NGEN). Now I am part of the Navy. laugh.gif
post #2727 of 2736
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMatic View Post

I just got out of HPE and the NMCI contract (NGEN). Now I am part of the Navy. laugh.gif

Cool. So are u a GS Civlian worker now?
post #2728 of 2736
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR J 858 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMatic View Post

I just got out of HPE and the NMCI contract (NGEN). Now I am part of the Navy. laugh.gif

Cool. So are u a GS Civlian worker now?
Nah contractor.
post #2729 of 2736
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMatic View Post

Nah contractor.

post #2730 of 2736
So your not a part of the navy lol. They are your customer
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General
NikeTalk › NikeTalk Forums › The Lounge › General › Information Technology (IT)