NikeTalk › NikeTalk Forums › The Lounge › General › Can 2 Parents and 2 Kids Live on Minimum Wage? According to New Report, Not Even Close
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Can 2 Parents and 2 Kids Live on Minimum Wage? According to New Report, Not Even Close - Page 10

post #271 of 297
LOL so statistics show clearly who are most effected by voter turnout laws but still "naaaaah I disagree."
Quote:
Republican legislators have also moved to cut early voting days or hours in states like North Carolina, Ohio and elsewhere. The GAO found African Americans are much more likely to use those early voting windows to cast their ballots than white voters, while white voters are more likely to use absentee ballots. In 2012, 13.1 percent of white voters cast ballots early in person, versus 18.3 percent who cast their vote by absentee. Among African Americans, 22.4 percent voted early in person, and just 9.2 percent voted by absentee.

Soooo this isn't a race based strategy? I mean, I can't knock it, it's very smart. But it is based 100% on race.



Peep this article on the various voter ID laws and instances of fraud: http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2014/10/13/the-disconnect-between-voter-id-laws-and-voter-fraud/

In essence that it states that they is basically no in person fraud. And not enough fraud to change the effects of ANY election. These laws main job is to repress poor, minorities and young people.
"Even if I stuttered I would still sh-sh....."
Come holla at ya Uncle...
Reply
"Even if I stuttered I would still sh-sh....."
Come holla at ya Uncle...
Reply
post #272 of 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdfrenchbread23 View Post



That's fine, and you can read up on the topic in general if you want to know why it was such an issue. It was all over the news back then.

All I'm saying is that entire groups of people can be targeted by government policies, with out having to designate that group/race/what have you as the target.

Any policy limiting or increasing the spending power of the poor will always disproportionally affect the black and brown people because black and brown people are disproportionally poor when compared to other races. That's the point I was trying to make.

 

I get what you're saying.

post #273 of 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBOSS View Post

laugh.gif

Im at the bottom too dog, but I don't complain about things I have no control over.

Some of you guys sound like you'd be so miserable to be around in real life.

Earlier in the topic, weren't you advocating that people work harder to pull themselves out of poverty? But now you're saying people shouldn't work hard to address the root-cause? I guess people should only work harder when it supports your argument.
post #274 of 297

You guys can post all the articles you want but that doesn't change the fact how easy it is to go get an ID and vote.

 

Why would you not want to have an ID? I cant think of any benefits or reasons to not have one.

 

Why is it so easy for whites to get an ID but its a problem for people of color?

post #275 of 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris View Post


Earlier in the topic, weren't you advocating that people work harder to pull themselves out of poverty? But now you're saying people shouldn't work hard to address the root-cause? I guess people should only work harder when it supports your argument.

 

lol strong reach with that one.

 

Big difference in saying work harder to make more money to make it out of poverty versus working hard to try and change our government by yourself.

post #276 of 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBOSS View Post

You guys can post all the articles you want but that doesn't change the fact how easy it is to go get an ID and vote.

Why would you not want to have an ID? I cant think of any benefits or reasons to not have one.

Why is it so easy for whites to get an ID but its a problem for people of color?

Quote:
Laws that require photo ID at the polls vary, but the strictest laws limit the forms of acceptable documentation to only a handful of cards. For example, in Texas, voters must show one of seven forms of state or federal-issue photo ID, with a valid expiration date: a driver’s license, a personal ID card issued by the state, a concealed handgun license, a military ID, citizenship certificate or a passport. The name on the ID must exactly match the one on the voter rolls.

African-Americans and Latinos are more likely to lack one of these qualifying IDs, according to several estimates. Even when the state offers a free photo ID, these voters, who are disproportionately low-income, may not be able to procure the underlying documents, such as a birth certificate, to obtain one.

In Texas, for example, challengers to the law cited an African-American grandmother who could not afford the $25 to purchase her birth certificate to get an ID, and an elderly African-American veteran and longtime voter who was turned away at the polls in 2013 despite having three types of ID, because none qualified under the new law.

Quote:
Six of the 16 states that have passed voter ID laws since 2010 have a documented history of discriminating against minority voters. All but one of those states’ laws were put in place after the Supreme Court overturned a key provision of the Voting Rights Act that required them to seek approval from the Justice Department for any voting-law changes.

Courts have so far blocked three ID laws. A state judge struck down Pennsylvania’s law earlier this year, determining that it discriminated against low-income and minority voters. Two weeks ago, the U.S. Supreme Court blocked Wisconsin’s from taking effect for this election, and last week, a state court declared Arkansas’ voter ID law unconstitutional. Lawsuits are currently pending against similar laws in North Carolina and Alabama, though they won’t be decided before the November elections.


People aren't making this stuff up or saying it for no reason, or cuz its the "year of the victim". Big problem is people who don't live in these situations, or have never experienced them seem to have this idea that they know what's going on when in reality they're ignorant to many aspects of the situation.

"Why don't they just...." isn't as simple as you make it out to be.

I only hope that you keep asking questions so maybe you can absorb some of this info getting thrown at you. I'm not mad at how you feel or your view, I'd just like to help you see a different POV.
Edited by RIP sleazyy - 9/8/15 at 8:18am

"Our grandfathers had to run, run, run. My generation's out of breath. We ain't running no more."
Reply

"Our grandfathers had to run, run, run. My generation's out of breath. We ain't running no more."
Reply
post #277 of 297
Did some googles.

Acceptable forms of ID vote in Texas:


Texas driver license issued by the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS)
Texas Election Identification Certificate issued by DPS
Texas personal identification card issued by DPS
Texas concealed handgun license issued by DPS
United States military identification card containing the person’s photograph
United States citizenship certificate containing the person’s photograph
United States passport


To get a basic ID:

To apply for your first Texas ID card, you must do the following:

Gather documents that verify your identity, U.S. citizenship or lawful presence status, Social Security Number and Texas residency.
Complete the application. (This form is also available at all driver license offices.)
Apply in person at any driver license office and bring the required documents and fees.

"Our grandfathers had to run, run, run. My generation's out of breath. We ain't running no more."
Reply

"Our grandfathers had to run, run, run. My generation's out of breath. We ain't running no more."
Reply
post #278 of 297

Im sorry but as an adult you should be able to come up with one of those 7 forms of ID.

 

Its not that hard to do come on guys.

post #279 of 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBOSS View Post

Im sorry but as an adult you should be able to come up with one of those 7 forms of ID.

Its not that hard to do come on guys.


It is when you can't afford it or can't make it to places to get them though. That's the point you're completely missing. Some people can't even come up with dinner tonight let alone money for a birth certificate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Watt View Post

If you don't have an ID by the time your 18 I'm 99% sure you don't care about voting.


I agree to an extent laugh.gif its not the case for everyone. I know people on both sides of that coin.

"Our grandfathers had to run, run, run. My generation's out of breath. We ain't running no more."
Reply

"Our grandfathers had to run, run, run. My generation's out of breath. We ain't running no more."
Reply
post #280 of 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIP sleazyy View Post




People aren't making this stuff up or saying it for no reason, or cuz its the "year of the victim". Big problem is people who don't live in these situations, or have never experienced them seem to have this idea that they know what's going on when in reality they're ignorant to many aspects of the situation.

"Why don't they just...." isn't as simple as you make it out to be.

I only hope that you keep asking questions so maybe you can absorb some of this info getting thrown at you. I'm not mad at how you feel or your view, I'd just like to help you see a different POV.

 

 

Nothing Im saying is crazy out of left field stuff though?

 

I don't care if anyone gets mad at me, theres a big portion of NT who hates the white man and no one seems to have a problem with that but when I say you should have an ID to vote, Im the bad guy? Miss me with that.

 

If all you dudes care so much about poor colored people, please tell me what you're doing to help the situation? I'll wait.

post #281 of 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIP sleazyy View Post


It is when you can't afford it or can't make it to places to get them though. That's the point you're completely missing. Some people can't even come up with dinner tonight let alone money for a birth certificate.
I agree to an extent laugh.gif its not the case for everyone. I know people on both sides of that coin.


I think you're argument is for elderly colored people right?

post #282 of 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBOSS View Post


Nothing Im saying is crazy out of left field stuff though?

I don't care if anyone gets mad at me, theres a big portion of NT who hates the white man and no one seems to have a problem with that but when I say you should have an ID to vote, Im the bad guy? Miss me with that.

If all you dudes care so much about poor colored people, please tell me what you're doing to help the situation? I'll wait.

There are def some people on here that hate white people but it def not a large portion. I think that a lot of NTers get frustrated over the fact that some people refuse to see it from anything other than their own point of you, when 99% of the time they're speaking from a place of privilege which can absolutely cloud what they view as someone else's reality.

If there was ever time for a @Methodical Management info session it would be now lol especially when someone is actually willing to listen.
post #283 of 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBOSS View Post

lol strong reach with that one.

Big difference in saying work harder to make more money to make it out of poverty versus working hard to try and change our government by yourself.
Nah, you missed the point. You repeatedly place the burden on the poor while dismissing the unethical nature of the rich.

You refuse to question the rich, but you're quick to tell the poor to stop being lazy.

It's fine if you lack empathy for your fellow man, but at least be consistent and honest.
post #284 of 297
Bruh I'm literally posting articles for you to read and help you understand. I didn't call you a bad guy but now YOU wanna play victim laugh.gif

What I'm doing has nothing to do with what we're talking about, but I vote locally and educate others considering I cant do **** else in my position.

Quote:
I think that a lot of NTers get frustrated over the fact that some people refuse to see it from anything other than their own point of you, when 99% of the time they're speaking from a place of privilege which can absolutely cloud what they view as someone else's reality.

On point. Dudes still haven't figured out life ain't one size fits all.

You can say what people should be doing and what they should have all you want, fact is your reality isnt everyone else's. You can't always apply what you've done and what you think to others, especially people in a much worse position than yourself. Doesn't make any sense.

Perspective plays a large part in this. You obviously understand what poverty is, I guess you just don't understand the effects.

"Our grandfathers had to run, run, run. My generation's out of breath. We ain't running no more."
Reply

"Our grandfathers had to run, run, run. My generation's out of breath. We ain't running no more."
Reply
post #285 of 297
Depends. It's extremely hard for displaced people or people who grew up in the system to get things like SS cards and Birth Certificates. My wife works in mental health, where majority of her clients need certain services, but they can't get them because they need ID of some sorts, can't get the ID because they don't have their birth certificate or SS card. U can't get one w/o the other unless you go to extremes to prove you are who you are, and some don't want to do it because they don't have the time or resources.
PSN: StarCityPA

Programming Languages: HTML/CSS, Bootstrap, JavaScript, JQuery
Reply
PSN: StarCityPA

Programming Languages: HTML/CSS, Bootstrap, JavaScript, JQuery
Reply
post #286 of 297
No one is trying to play victim :lol
 
Im fully aware my reality isn't the same as everyone elses.
 
I guess im just in the minority with my opinion when it comes to this subject.
post #287 of 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBOSS View Post


As someone who is black, the son of successful Haitian immigrants, and someone who grew up comfortably middle class I used to have some of the same views when I was younger. But learning about systemic racism and oppression and the fact that black lineage in America runs just as far back and deep as white people but benefit from virtually none of things that a lot of white people benefit from for doing nothing other than being born.
post #288 of 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBOSS View Post






All good. Like I said I just want to help you see a different perspective.

I don't know, it seems there's a lot of us who came from poverty on this site and things like this effect us. That's why we feel strongly about it. It's hard when the evidence is there and you've literally experienced the things brought up and some people on here will still fight to the death to tell you you're wrong or its all in your head.

It's not a good feeling and it will make some of the more emotional people react badly and just **** the conversation up. I almost did it when you asked what I'm doing to help colored people laugh.gif

"Our grandfathers had to run, run, run. My generation's out of breath. We ain't running no more."
Reply

"Our grandfathers had to run, run, run. My generation's out of breath. We ain't running no more."
Reply
post #289 of 297
Reps for both of you.
 
I generally try to stay away from these threads but its good to hear peoples perspectives from all walks of life.
post #290 of 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdfrenchbread23 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBOSS View Post


As someone who is black, the son of successful Haitian immigrants, and someone who grew up comfortably middle class I used to have some of the same views when I was younger. But learning about systemic racism and oppression and the fact that black lineage in America runs just as far back and deep as white people but benefit from virtually none of things that a lot of white people benefit from for doing nothing other than being born.
That's the mentality a lot of immigrants within the last few decades have towards Black Americans: If an immigrant can come over here and take advantage of the opportunities in America, why can't they? Thing is they are never taught in their education systems about Black American history. A lot of these opportunities weren't available for them or tactics were used so that they can't get them. It usually takes the first generation of kids to learn and explain to their parents (especially is they're Black from the Caribbean, Latin America or Africa).
post #291 of 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBOSS View Post


I'm not out to label all white
Quote:
Originally Posted by silkboi View Post

That's the mentality a lot of immigrants within the last few decades have towards Black Americans: If an immigrant can come over here and take advantage of the opportunities in America, why can't they? Thing is they are never taught in their education systems about Black American history. A lot of these opportunities weren't available for them or tactics were used so that they can't get them. It usually takes the first generation of kids to learn and explain to their parents (especially is they're Black from the Caribbean, Latin America or Africa).

precisely. although poor in haiti, being that my parents arent from here i and my family dont have any of the mental shackles that comes with being generationally black in america. i'm sure its hard for others to comprehend but it is definitely a HUGE advantage
post #292 of 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatZNasty View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLASTERCOMBO View Post

"Minimum" in the term minimum wage refers to it being the minimum amount to support yourself. Needless to say the numbers at some point didn't match up anymore

It's the minimum amount they are legally allowed to pay employees. They don't care if you can support yourself adequately on it or not, if they could, they'd pay you less but it's already the minimum (legally allowed) wage

Seriously. I've worked at places like home depot and lowes in the past and they pay their employees bare minimum wage, lowes worse than home depot, treat you like crap, and the managers are rude and on top of that want your blood sweat and tears into the job. lol. The employees also get like a 15 cent rais every year IF you're lucky. 

 

How much revenue/profit does the avg lowes or home depot store make in a day/year? I really don't agree with this at all.

post #293 of 297
http://fee.org/freeman/the-eugenics-plot-of-the-minimum-wage/

surprised no one posted this article yet. unions were initially created to keep blacks out of the labor force by artificially raising labor costs. why hire a non union black person vs a unioned white person for the same price?
post #294 of 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by andycrazn View Post

http://fee.org/freeman/the-eugenics-plot-of-the-minimum-wage/

surprised no one posted this article yet. unions were initially created to keep blacks out of the labor force by artificially raising labor costs. why hire a non union black person vs a unioned white person for the same price?

very interesting read. another example of how an entire group of people can be directly excluded by using indirect means

post #295 of 297
To give an example of how difficult procuring some of these documents can be, I'm from VA but live in Atlanta now. I had to get a SS card mailed to me, and it was free, but if I didn't have a mailing address, I'd be assed out. Now I have no idea where my birth certificate is, and if I needed a replacement, I'd have to go back to Virginia to get a replacement. Hell, even if I was back home, I'd have to drive 2 hours to Richmond to get a replacement. If I'm struggling, trying to make ends meet, I might not be able to afford that trip. If I didn't have a car, I'm really not able to make that trip.
"Even if I stuttered I would still sh-sh....."
Come holla at ya Uncle...
Reply
"Even if I stuttered I would still sh-sh....."
Come holla at ya Uncle...
Reply
post #296 of 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdfrenchbread23 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by andycrazn View Post

http://fee.org/freeman/the-eugenics-plot-of-the-minimum-wage/


surprised no one posted this article yet. unions were initially created to keep blacks out of the labor force by artificially raising labor costs. why hire a non union black person vs a unioned white person for the same price?
very interesting read. another example of how an entire group of people can be directly excluded by using indirect means





this video shows how governments are the ones creating and reinforcing monopolies, contrary to what others think they do.
post #297 of 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by andycrazn View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdfrenchbread23 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by andycrazn View Post

http://fee.org/freeman/the-eugenics-plot-of-the-minimum-wage/


surprised no one posted this article yet. unions were initially created to keep blacks out of the labor force by artificially raising labor costs. why hire a non union black person vs a unioned white person for the same price?
very interesting read. another example of how an entire group of people can be directly excluded by using indirect means





this video shows how governments are the ones creating and reinforcing monopolies, contrary to what others think they do.

Soooooo, why doesn't dude work for Uber? He borrowed against it too many times for things that weren't for the benefit of the medallion, that's a no no.
PSN: StarCityPA

Programming Languages: HTML/CSS, Bootstrap, JavaScript, JQuery
Reply
PSN: StarCityPA

Programming Languages: HTML/CSS, Bootstrap, JavaScript, JQuery
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General
NikeTalk › NikeTalk Forums › The Lounge › General › Can 2 Parents and 2 Kids Live on Minimum Wage? According to New Report, Not Even Close