NikeTalk › NikeTalk Forums › The Lounge › General › Black Male Ambushed and Detained by Police Due To White Couple Feeling "Uncomfortable"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Black Male Ambushed and Detained by Police Due To White Couple Feeling "Uncomfortable" - Page 15

post #421 of 462
I think the problem is that people are focusing on the singular aspect of him running...and either ignoring or simply choosing not to address several very important factors.

There's two things to consider here: rules of engagement and reasonable suspicion.

The #1 reason why this kid is going to get a nice fat check in court is the fact that the cop did not have reasonable suspicion to approach him in the first place. In court, a cop has to provide facts to support the decision to detain in the first place. Right now, there's only a phone call about someone "looking suspicious". So the police officer is going to have to prove that he had reasonable suspicion...of someone being suspicious. Which is so absurd it's almost comedy. The fact that he engaged the kid walking to the bus stop and not actually at the bank is the kicker. He himself didn't even witness the kids at the place where they were reported to be suspicious at. He had a physical profile, and was going to pull up on them wherever. Keep in mind this happened 3 blocks away from the bank.

And the bigger deal is rules of engagement, if the courts decide that the cops did not follow protocol for approaching someone who hasn't been accused or under suspicion of a crime...it's a wrap. If they really did hop the curb almost hitting him, and/or a weapon was drawn...the kid running becomes a moot point.
post #422 of 462
Thread Starter 

like u said they were going to engage him no mater what

 

and according to ppl in this thread, the prejudice they showed was justifiable simply because he ran

post #423 of 462

Im surprised more people dont take these police to court, Im still mad Thabo didnt press charges

post #424 of 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillzWay26 View Post

Im surprised more people dont take these police to court, Im still mad Thabo didnt press charges

Taking police to court is like being represented by a public defender
PSN: StarCityPA

Programming Languages: HTML/CSS, Bootstrap, JavaScript, JQuery
Reply
PSN: StarCityPA

Programming Languages: HTML/CSS, Bootstrap, JavaScript, JQuery
Reply
post #425 of 462
If the report was "suspicious" person by ATM and the kid was already 3 blocks away from the ATM, why did the cop confront him in the first place? No crime was reported or committed, and the "suspicious" person was no longer at the scene. Cop basically should've just driven past the kid. But instead, the officer more than likely heard the description was a black male and he knew he had a criminal.
post #426 of 462
mean.gif
I was under the impression this entire incident happened at the bank. The new information released yesterday afternoon and this morning, tell a different story.

Dude was definitely profiled.
post #427 of 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetit22 View Post

If the report was "suspicious" person by ATM and the kid was already 3 blocks away from the ATM,
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by mALiZ View Post


I was under the impression this entire incident happened at the bank

 

the police approached him at the bank 

 

he ran

 

they caught him three blocks away

Camden Drive
Reply
Camden Drive
Reply
post #428 of 462
Link to where you guys are getting this information from. The article says, Jason left and was heading towards the bus stop, then the police pulled up. Where are you getting this information that he was still in front of the bank? Also, where is the link stating that the cops chased him for 3 blocks? How we know he wasn't 1 or 2 blocks away and was chased a block or two?
post #429 of 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetit22 View Post

Link to where you guys are getting this information from. The article says, Jason left and was heading towards the bus stop, then the police pulled up. Where are you getting this information that he was still in front of the bank? Also, where is the link stating that the cops chased him for 3 blocks? How we know he wasn't 1 or 2 blocks away and was chased a block or two?

The 18-year-old, who was with two friends, lingered about 20 seconds outside the Citibank near Eastern Market on Capitol Hill before leaving. Moments later, Goolsby said, he saw D.C. police cars racing toward him. One, he said, nearly hit him. The college freshman said he ran.

Three blocks away near Barracks Row, officers caught him.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/public-safety/detention-of-black-teens-by-police-outside-dc-bank-sparks-protests/2015/10/13/055203d6-71c1-11e5-9cbb-790369643cf9_story.html

In a statement earlier in the week after the incident, Delroy Burton of the D.C. Police Union says the officers were called to a location where someone reported several people acting suspiciously.

When officers arrived he says they saw a man who fit one of the detailed descriptions. The officers say when they approached the young man, he took off running. Police say they chased him for several blocks on foot, in and out of traffic, catching him at Sixth Street and Pennsylvania Avenue SE.

http://wjla.com/news/local/lawyer-for-udc-student-handcuffed-on-video-looking-into-civil-rights-violations

 

Camden Drive
Reply
Camden Drive
Reply
post #430 of 462
The thing that I see with people in this thread and other places, is that they quickly throw out the possibility that the cop(s) may have been in the wrong. And also act like there is no reason for these young black kids to be scared of police. It is like, has anyone for one moment considered that things may not be what you think they are? And it goes both directions.

Instead, they do everything in their power to find reasons to justify these actions and take race completely out of it. Mostly because they are sick of hearing about it. Not saying I agree with that, but it KIND OF is understandable because it is a confirmation bias flaw we all have.

BUT, it is obvious that blacks in general are viewed as 'more dangerous' than other groups of people and there is no way getting around that. And that is the problem. If that really is the subconscious belief of most people then they will handle situations like this in a certain way when they pop off.

This institutionalized racism is so deep that people don't know its there.
post #431 of 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay Lurkin View Post

The thing that I see with people in this thread and other places, is that they quickly throw out the possibility that the cop(s) may have been in the wrong. And also act like there is no reason for these young black kids to be scared of police. It is like, has anyone for one moment considered that things may not be what you think they are? And it goes both directions.

Instead, they do everything in their power to find reasons to justify these actions and take race completely out of it. Mostly because they are sick of hearing about it. Not saying I agree with that, but it KIND OF is understandable because it is a confirmation bias flaw we all have.

BUT, it is obvious that blacks in general are viewed as 'more dangerous' than other groups of people and there is no way getting around that. And that is the problem. If that really is the subconscious belief of most people then they will handle situations like this in a certain way when they pop off.

This institutionalized racism is so deep that people don't know its there.

what are you talking about?

 

99% of everyone on this board understands and acknowledges racism with the exception of a few trolls

 

This thread is about whether the police had reasonable cause to pursue and detain the kid after he ran...

 

The couple who called 911 are already confirmed prejudice/racist.

Camden Drive
Reply
Camden Drive
Reply
post #432 of 462
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/public-safety/detention-of-black-teens-by-police-outside-dc-bank-sparks-protests/2015/10/13/055203d6-71c1-11e5-9cbb-790369643cf9_story.html

This is the article I originally read. I see they twisted a few details once I read through it again. Does say he got caught 3 blocks away but this doesn't matter as him running isn't in dispute.
Quote:
The 18-year-old, who was with two friends, lingered about 20 seconds outside the Citibank near Eastern Market on Capitol Hill before leaving. Moments later, Goolsby said, he saw D.C. police cars racing toward him. One, he said, nearly hit him. The college freshman said he ran.

How this is phrased, alludes to Jason being at the bank but leaving (heading away from the bank). Maybe I interpreted it wrong.

My question now is where was Jason confronted? Where did his interaction with the police start?
Did they draw a gun on him upon approach?
post #433 of 462
I meant the trolls when it comes to this board my bad laugh.gif

And that was me thinking out loud. Just a perspective. But that is what I see from people mostly
post #434 of 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWAP View Post

The 18-year-old, who was with two friends, lingered about 20 seconds outside the Citibank near Eastern Market on Capitol Hill before leaving. Moments later, Goolsby said, he saw D.C. police cars racing toward him. One, he said, nearly hit him. The college freshman said he ran.



Three blocks away near Barracks Row, officers caught him.



https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/public-safety/detention-of-black-teens-by-police-outside-dc-bank-sparks-protests/2015/10/13/055203d6-71c1-11e5-9cbb-790369643cf9_story.html



In a statement earlier in the week after the incident, Delroy Burton of the D.C. Police Union says the officers were called to a location where someone reported several people acting suspiciously.



When officers arrived he says they saw a man who fit one of the detailed descriptions. The officers say when they approached the young man, he took off running. Police say they chased him for several blocks on foot, in and out of traffic, catching him at Sixth Street and Pennsylvania Avenue SE.



http://wjla.com/news/local/lawyer-for-udc-student-handcuffed-on-video-looking-into-civil-rights-violations



 



One side is saying he was at the bank still, the other is saying he was heading towards the bus stop. Someone is clearly lying. I will just sit back until the real truth comes out.
I see you believe the officers side already as you posted...
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWAP View Post

the police approached him at the bank 

he ran

they caught him three blocks away
post #435 of 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetit22 View Post
 
One side is saying he was at the bank still, the other is saying he was heading towards the bus stop. Someone is clearly lying. I will just sit back until the real truth comes out.
I see you believe the officers side already as you posted...
 

what do you mean the officer's side?

 

I'm not taking my info from the police report...

 

my info is based on testimony from the kid...

 

he said he was leaving... and moments later the cops pulled up..

 

so if he's chilling outside the atm/bank... and decides to leave ... then is approached MOMENTS later...

 

he should still be in the vicinity of the bank/atm...

Camden Drive
Reply
Camden Drive
Reply
post #436 of 462
I told myself I wouldn't do this, but let me propose a hypothetical scenario just for the sake of discussion:

Say someone...anyone...white, black, whatever...makes a phone call to the police about three white males standing near an atm in Georgetown and that being "suspicious". Do you believe that the police would pull up ON them?
post #437 of 462
Thread Starter 

yes because race isnt a factor when it comes to stereotyping criminal behavior / sarcasm

post #438 of 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretty tony View Post

I told myself I wouldn't do this, but let me propose a hypothetical scenario just for the sake of discussion:

Say someone...anyone...white, black, whatever...makes a phone call to the police about three white males standing near an atm in Georgetown and that being "suspicious". Do you believe that the police would pull up ON them?

yes... because they have to respond to the call....

 

if you make a call of a white purse snatcher.....

 

and the cops pull up and see a whiteguy who fits the description

 

do you think they are not going to approach him because he's white?

 

the racism lies in the couples assumption that the kid was going to rob them...

 

the police merely responded to a racist assumption that they had no way of knowing was illegitimate until they spoke with jason...

Camden Drive
Reply
Camden Drive
Reply
post #439 of 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWAP View Post

what do you mean the officer's side?

I'm not taking my info from the police report...

my info is based on testimony from the kid...

he said he was leaving... and moments later the cops pulled up..

so if he's chilling outside the atm/bank... and decides to leave ... then is approached MOMENTS later...

he should still be in the vicinity of the bank/atm...

But the kid didn't say he was chilling outside the bank. He said he left about 20 seconds after the bigot who called the cops on him left.
Quote:
The 18-year-old, who was with two friends, lingered about 20 seconds outside the Citibank near Eastern Market on Capitol Hill before leaving.
This is in the article that you posted.

Also, you saying that the police approached him at the bank isn't what the kid is saying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWAP View Post

yes... because they have to respond to the call....

if you make a call of a white purse snatcher.....

and the cops pull up and see a whiteguy who fits the description

do you think they are not going to approach him because he's white?

the racism lies in the couples assumption that the kid was going to rob them...

the police merely responded to a racist assumption that they had no way of knowing was illegitimate until they spoke with jason...

Your scenario is definitely different from the question. Snatching a purse is a crime. Of course the police are going to approach the white kid. Someone stereotyping you and thinking you're going to snatch their purse, isn't a crime.
post #440 of 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretty tony View Post

I told myself I wouldn't do this, but let me propose a hypothetical scenario just for the sake of discussion:

Say someone...anyone...white, black, whatever...makes a phone call to the police about three white males standing near an atm in Georgetown and that being "suspicious". Do you believe that the police would pull up ON them?

yes ...

and if they ran, yes they would chase after them.
post #441 of 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawzlew View Post

yes ...

and if they ran, yes they would chase after them.

Of course they would, but the approach and mindset would most likely be different.
post #442 of 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetit22 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWAP View Post

what do you mean the officer's side?

I'm not taking my info from the police report...

my info is based on testimony from the kid...

he said he was leaving... and moments later the cops pulled up..

so if he's chilling outside the atm/bank... and decides to leave ... then is approached MOMENTS later...

he should still be in the vicinity of the bank/atm...

But the kid didn't say he was chilling outside the bank. He said he left about 20 seconds after the bigot who called the cops on him left.
Quote:
The 18-year-old, who was with two friends, lingered about 20 seconds outside the Citibank near Eastern Market on Capitol Hill before leaving.
This is in the article that you posted.

Also, you saying that the police approached him at the bank isn't what the kid is saying.
 

but it says he was run up on "moments" after leaving...

 

so theres a big issue with the whole timeline....

 

1. 911 call when couple leaves

2. 20 seconds after that dude leaves

3. MOMENTS later he's run up on

 

?

 

maybe the bus stop is right in front of the atm?

Camden Drive
Reply
Camden Drive
Reply
post #443 of 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWAP View Post

yes... because they have to respond to the call....

if you make a call of a white purse snatcher.....

and the cops pull up and see a whiteguy who fits the description

do you think they are not going to approach him because he's white?

the racism lies in the couples assumption that the kid was going to rob them...

the police merely responded to a racist assumption that they had no way of knowing was illegitimate until they spoke with jason...

A white purse snatcher. That sounds like a person that committed a crime right?

You just described the exact opposite of the scenario i proposed
post #444 of 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawzlew View Post

yes ...

and if they ran, yes they would chase after them.

If you really believe that...I really have nothing else to say to that.

I doubt very seriously that the cops would take a call about white males standing near an atm in a posh area and deduce that that in and of itself is reasonable suspicion to investigate. Furthermore, if they did....I doubt VERY seriously that they pull up on the curb almost hitting one of them either.

You dudes seem to think that this kid just siimply saw a police car and took off. And that's not what he says happened. The kid is saying this cop pulled up and posed himself as a threat and even almost hit him with his vehicle.

The mere fact that you dudes believe that there is no POSSIBLE way that the cop could have violated the rules of engagement is alarming and suggests that you're in favor of a flat out police state. You dudes seriously must believe that the badge gives them an iron fist to rule with and that they shouldn't be under the law of protocol and standards.

Imagine if every time someone could simply call and report someone being suspicious without giving absolutely no reasonable case for why...and that being enough for a the police to detain you. It is incredible that people don't understand that.
Edited by pretty tony - 10/16/15 at 4:17pm
post #445 of 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretty tony View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawzlew View Post

yes ...

and if they ran, yes they would chase after them.

If you really believe that...I really have nothing else to say to that.

I doubt very seriously that the cops would take a call about white males standing near an atm in a posh area and deduce that that in and of itself is reasonable suspicion to investigate. Furthermore, if they did....I doubt VERY seriously that they pull up on the curb almost hitting one of them either.

You dudes seem to think that this kid just siimply saw a police car and took off. And that's not what he says happened. The kid is saying this cop pulled up and posed himself as a threat and even almost hit him with his vehicle.

The mere fact that you dudes believe that there is no POSSIBLE way that the cop could have violated the rules of engagement is alarming and suggests that you're in favor of a flat out police state. You dudes seriously must believe that the badge gives them an iron fist to rule with and that they shouldn't be under the law of protocol and standards.

Imagine if every time someone could simply call and report someone being suspicious without giving absolutely no reasonable case for why...and that being enough for a the police to detain you. It is incredible that people don't understand that.

1. if they almost hit him with the car that is excessive imo.... but did they really almost hit him? or is this just an exhaggeration like the NTer who claims he almost got shot when the guy only exposed his holster to him?

 

2. rules of engagement are for military.....lol

 

3. theres not enough evidence to say whether the cops actions were excessive. Need to wait for more info. It's clear the 911 caller as prejudice/racist.

 

4. If somebody says some white people may be trying to rob people at an atm... the police will approach them... and will chase if they run... that part of the story is not where race comes into the play... race comes into play if you ask whether or not somebody would call the police on 3 white teens standing by an atm... by the time a call is made the police are going to go hard no matter what race it is... whether or not a call is made in the first place is the issue.

Camden Drive
Reply
Camden Drive
Reply
post #446 of 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretty tony View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawzlew View Post

yes ...

and if they ran, yes they would chase after them.

If you really believe that...I really have nothing else to say to that.

I doubt very seriously that the cops would take a call about white males standing near an atm in a posh area and deduce that that in and of itself is reasonable suspicion to investigate. Furthermore, if they did....I doubt VERY seriously that they pull up on the curb almost hitting one of them either.
.

fine with me.
post #447 of 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWAP View Post

1. if they almost hit him with the car that is excessive imo.... but did they really almost hit him? or is this just an exhaggeration like the NTer who claims he almost got shot when the guy only exposed his holster to him?

2. rules of engagement are for military.....lol

3. theres not enough evidence to say whether the cops actions were excessive. Need to wait for more info. It's clear the 911 caller as prejudice/racist.

4. If somebody says some white people may be trying to rob people at an atm... the police will approach them... and will chase if they run... that part of the story is not where race comes into the play... race comes into play if you ask whether or not somebody would call the police on 3 white teens standing by an atm... by the time a call is made the police are going to go hard no matter what race it is... whether or not a call is made in the first place is the issue.

What? The police absolutely have rules of engagement.

The lady did not call the police and say that they were trying to rob people. It also was not in the scenario I described. Why do you keep twisting variables in your argument?
post #448 of 462
Thread Starter 

their minds cant conceive a white man in the same EXACT predicament because they are conditioned to believe that white is right and black people are criminals until proven innocent

post #449 of 462
I'm just wondering why dude keeps trying to answer my scenario by changing important factors within it.

He's done twice in a row now.

I say "if someone calls the police and says there are suspicious white guys around the atm"...he responds with a purse snatching variable. I point that out...he responds with a "person calling the police to say that they're trying to rob people" scenario.

Someone please let me know if I'm crazy or something...
post #450 of 462
Nah, dude is obviously doing whatever he can to make his argument right.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General
NikeTalk › NikeTalk Forums › The Lounge › General › Black Male Ambushed and Detained by Police Due To White Couple Feeling "Uncomfortable"