NikeTalk › NikeTalk Forums › The Lounge › General › SF Cops Shoots Suspected Stabber
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

SF Cops Shoots Suspected Stabber - Page 2

post #31 of 48
Alonzo gif
post #32 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamDEF View Post
 

 

Have you seen the batons cops have? I've had three batons personally and they are MUCH longer than that knife he had. I had one that was close to 3 feet.

 

I do think there is  a disconnect between what citizens feel we know about police training and what they actually know. Movies show so many different ways cops get training that we obviously accept that as the way they are actually trained. Their training needs to be made plain so we can know for certain what they are trained and can judge better if they did their job appropriately


If your an officer an you just arrived on the scene, and you were told that the suspect has already stabbed someone previously and is brandishing a long kitchen knife in public and refuse to let go of it, do you first reach for your service piece which allows you to be further away from the danger OR do you get in close with your 3 feet baton and risk getting stabbed, or cut horribly because you're dressed in patrol outfits and not riot gear, or the suspect escaping and taking a hostage/stabbing someone else?

 

Come on now.

post #33 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdawg View Post



Well, they should, someone should be in charge and they get to take the guy out. This isn't a firefight, it should be a controlled takedown of a threat.
I'm sort of with you on the first part - he stabbed people, he should expect to be dealt with harshly because of that - but a long baton is a pretty reasonable thing to use against a knife - especially if you had 6 of them and riot shields. I'd take those odds.

I think you're thinking of a hostage situation. This was officers responding to a call. They don't get out their cars and start shooting out their ranks to see who can shoot first. They don't have riot shields in their cars either. These are street cops with plain clothes. A knife would go through that like butter.

 

And why use a baton when you have a piece? Are you going to take that chance and have this guy kill a citizen/a fellow cop cuz you wanted to play it safe with a baton first?

 

Lesson to be learned is, if you have 6 cops on you with guns drawn, drop your weapon, and fall to the ground immediately.

 

This was probably suicide by cop.

post #34 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrowCollarMan View Post
 


If your an officer an you just arrived on the scene, and you were told that the suspect has already stabbed someone previously and is brandishing a long kitchen knife in public and refuse to let go of it, do you first reach for your service piece which allows you to be further away from the danger OR do you get in close with your 3 feet baton and risk getting stabbed, or cut horribly because you're dressed in patrol outfits and not riot gear, or the suspect escaping and taking a hostage/stabbing someone else?

 

Come on now.

 

Don't think I don't understand. I get it. My maiin complaint is the fact that EVERY COP had their gun drawn. If he is that dangerous back up and get some cover. But to have 8 cops stand within 7 feet all drawn ready to fire on 1 man with a knife and EVERYBODY fire? Overkill.

 

I'd understand if he had a gun and that first gun shot goes off, yea there's no way of knowing who shot first so yea fire off some just in case. but that first shot could only have come from a fellow officer, so before i pop off as many times as possible let me ensure I only fire if my additional shots are necessary

post #35 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamDEF View Post
 

 

Don't think I don't understand. I get it. My maiin complaint is the fact that EVERY COP had their gun drawn. If he is that dangerous back up and get some cover. But to have 8 cops stand within 7 feet all drawn ready to fire on 1 man with a knife and EVERYBODY fire? Overkill.

 

I'd understand if he had a gun and that first gun shot goes off, yea there's no way of knowing who shot first so yea fire off some just in case. but that first shot could only have come from a fellow officer, so before i pop off as many times as possible let me ensure I only fire if my additional shots are necessary


How about this scenario. What if they didn't all cover him fully, and there was a gap of space and he somehow ran away because you were busy trying to shoot him with tasers and hitting him with your batons. He runs down the block and stabs someone else.
Then who's to blame.
 

Cops arrive at the scene and are trained to participate. They cant be like, oh Jim and Harry got this, I'll just sit this one out.

 

They probably started out as a big circle and enclosed on him, instructioning him to drop his weapon, and not allowing him to escape. This wasn't an abandoned alley where he couldn't harm anyone but himself or the cops. This was middle of the afternoon in public. They not going to be like. Oh theres already 2 guns out, i'll stick to my baton I guess.

post #36 of 48

I can dig it. Just hate the end results

post #37 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr1ll View Post

Once you pull a weapon on an cop armed individual, all gloves are off.


Fixed.


Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpshooter718 View Post

Nobody gets immobilized as in shot in the legs. Its always 15-16 slugs in the torso. Its the mind games indoctrinating in the form of range training. The silouette is always a torso based target.


This.

I just don't understand why they have to aim at the torso. It makes no sense. If a guy is carrying a knife, wouldn't the logically target be his hand?

They call him the young wolf. They say he rides into battle on the back of giant direwolf. They say he can turn into a wolf himself when he wants. They say he can't be killed.

Reply

They call him the young wolf. They say he rides into battle on the back of giant direwolf. They say he can turn into a wolf himself when he wants. They say he can't be killed.

Reply
post #38 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngwolf View Post


Fixed.
This.

I just don't understand why they have to aim at the torso. It makes no sense. If a guy is carrying a knife, wouldn't the logically target be his hand?


Have you every fired a gun before?


Why aim for the hand when you can just aim for the knife? >D

post #39 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngwolf View Post


I just don't understand why they have to aim at the torso. It makes no sense. If a guy is carrying a knife, wouldn't the logically target be his hand?

 

I'd assume the excuse here would be that would be expecting too much of an everyday cop. That's a decently skillful shot to shoot someone in the hand in the moment

post #40 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamDEF View Post
 

I can dig it. Just hate the end results


respect.

 

Black lives matter and theres probably plenty of awful cops out there.

 

But this situation is not what you want to use as exhibit A if you trying to push your agenda. (not speaking about you iamDEF)

post #41 of 48

I got you. That's why they really have to break down what police protocal is because it's people like me that watch movies and television and there's ALWAYS one cop who steps up and gets the armed man to chill out or disarm the guy and we apply that to real life but we are wrong/misinformed

post #42 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrowCollarMan View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngwolf View Post

Fixed.

This.


I just don't understand why they have to aim at the torso. It makes no sense. If a guy is carrying a knife, wouldn't the logically target be his hand?


Have you every fired a gun before?


Why aim for the hand when you can just aim for the knife? grin.gif


Because the hand would offer you a larger surface area to aim at, thus reducing the chance of missing your target and hitting an innocent civilian.

They call him the young wolf. They say he rides into battle on the back of giant direwolf. They say he can turn into a wolf himself when he wants. They say he can't be killed.

Reply

They call him the young wolf. They say he rides into battle on the back of giant direwolf. They say he can turn into a wolf himself when he wants. They say he can't be killed.

Reply
post #43 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamDEF View Post
 

I got you. That's why they really have to break down what police protocal is because it's people like me that watch movies and television and there's ALWAYS one cop who steps up and gets the armed man to chill out or disarm the guy and we apply that to real life but we are wrong/misinformed

I feel you. Most people think they should get a family member to get on the blowhorn to distract the suspect while the black belt rookie comes from the back and roundhouse kick the weapon out of the suspects hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngwolf View Post


Because the hand would offer you a larger surface area to aim at, thus reducing the chance of missing your target and hitting an innocent civilian.


How about we apply that exact logic to a larger mass, perhaps, the torso?

post #44 of 48
All we need is cops shooting at hands, missing, and hitting bystanders lol. Chaos would ensue.
post #45 of 48

:lolNo sane person would aim for hands. There's just crazy if you ever shot off a gun at a range. Now imagine that paper target was much smaller and moves at the speed of a hand.

post #46 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrowCollarMan View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngwolf View Post

Because the hand would offer you a larger surface area to aim at, thus reducing the chance of missing your target and hitting an innocent civilian.

How about we apply that exact logic to a larger mass, perhaps, the torso?


1408.gif

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
C'mon, man. I'm obviously not being serious.

They call him the young wolf. They say he rides into battle on the back of giant direwolf. They say he can turn into a wolf himself when he wants. They say he can't be killed.

Reply

They call him the young wolf. They say he rides into battle on the back of giant direwolf. They say he can turn into a wolf himself when he wants. They say he can't be killed.

Reply
post #47 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngwolf View Post


1408.gif
  Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
C'mon, man. I'm obviously not being serious.


Got me.:lol

post #48 of 48
Should have cops shoot off all the fingers of armed suspects so they can't pull the trigger.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General
NikeTalk › NikeTalk Forums › The Lounge › General › SF Cops Shoots Suspected Stabber