African American English.

yo our language has like 10000000 billion dialects state to state. so many standard words mean so many things.

PROUD TO BE GHETTO

Originally Posted by RetroSan

Originally Posted by Fig Neutonn

Originally Posted by sreggie101

not sure how i feel about this. on one hand, a lotta black people talk like they're still in chains. on the other hand, it bothers me that its referred to as AFRICAN AMERICAN english.

i feel so set back....
30t6p3b.gif

It could be because real Africans don't use ebonics. They either speak proper english or speak their own language or other dialects.

what do mean real africans? 
indifferent.gif

indifferent.gif

you know what he meant, real africans = being born in africa...duh.

Originally Posted by debs 168

wish they'd stop calling this %%#@+*$% ebonics and AAVE. stop putting this foolishness on black ppl. its called slang and broken english and its not limited to a particular race.
the finna stuff is definitely a southern thing, IMO.

i've never said finna, fin to, fixing to, etc. in my life but i've heard ppl down south say these words.
eek.gif
eek.gif
Does "finna" come from "fixing to"?
nerd.gif

grin.gif
StaXX wrote:

Examples: He finna go to work, what I gon do now, Oh no she didn't, etc

I hope this is a joke.
alien.gif

I've never heard anyone use these terms seriously.
laugh.gif
I hear it every-time I enter my local safeway. ITs common in the area in which I live in.

Exactly. The term isnt wrong just too general. It is common in the south for black people to talk like that. Not saying all southern black people speak like that, but it is a dialect. The same way hispanics say dominicans speak in spanish slang, its a dialect relative to the language.

Is it even just african americans though? I text stuff like that all the time with my friends just for the fun of it

I think is varies amongst regions but for the most part this is true in the inner-cities and ghettos of America.

Originally Posted by knnyngo

wish they'd stop calling this %%#@+*$% ebonics and AAVE. stop putting this foolishness on black ppl. its called slang and broken english and its not limited to a particular race.
the finna stuff is definitely a southern thing, IMO.

i've never said finna, fin to, fixing to, etc. in my life but i've heard ppl down south say these words.
eek.gif
eek.gif
Does "finna" come from "fixing to"?
nerd.gif

laugh.gif
yes.

I didn't go through the whole thread, but did they really use a sterotype within a stereotype? Wow.
30t6p3b.gif

They should've just taken the extra prejudiced step and written "He be tired... and lazy."

Originally Posted by daantimpire

african americans did not create bad english
racism at its finest
Read the Baldwin essay I posted on page 3. It isn't bad English, it's a style of dialect that has developed over the years and deserves to be respected.

Originally Posted by ricky409

"lemme hollatchu real quick, doe."

"man... dat fool over theah trippin' folk"

"i ain' even tryna heah whatchu talkin bout, doe."

"yall finna drive all da way tuh houston? cuz gas high den uh bish"

"i tried tuh holla at huh but she was on some otha stuff, fam"

"my kinfoe say he finna go cop uh thowed !!$ buick tomorruh... thow some swangaz on dat bish... had dat %%* drippin' candy red. them yelluhs gonna be jockin'"

i can see where they get this from...

fluent in both FTW .

pimp.gif
pimp.gif

yoouuuknooowutimsayinnn
grin.gif
laugh.gif

When I first moved to the States, "finna" confused the hell out of me.  I was in elementary school and kids would say "We finna go to lunch."  I had no idea what finna meant but eventually I got it.  Then a few years later I figured it started out as "fixing to" do something as in "W are fixing to go to lunch" and it just morphed into "finna" somewhere down the road. 

Originally Posted by ricky409

"lemme hollatchu real quick, doe."

"man... dat fool over theah trippin' folk"

"i ain' even tryna heah whatchu talkin bout, doe."

"yall finna drive all da way tuh houston? cuz gas high den uh bish"

"i tried tuh holla at huh but she was on some otha stuff, fam"

"my kinfoe say he finna go cop uh thowed !!$ buick tomorruh... thow some swangaz on dat bish... had dat %%* drippin' candy red. them yelluhs gonna be jockin'"

i can see where they get this from...

fluent in both FTW .

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
Gotta be fluent in both.

Growing up in the Souf FTW.

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

racism at its finest
Read the Baldwin essay I posted on page 3. It isn't bad English, it's a style of dialect that has developed over the years and deserves to be respected.

I be finna and fixing to not respect it at all. Why on earth would you respect the intentional use of broken English that is a direct effect of the circumstances that some in this country went through? A lot of which effects us today??

Originally Posted by Snapple Apple

This is sort of a stream of conscious post so forgive me if some of lacks organization or anything:

Some of you seem shocked that there are people who look at AAVE as language with its own structure and rules.

I took an entire course dedicated to code-switching and the dynamics of AAVE language. As educators we are taught to never demean AAVE when teaching standard English. We do this via the contrastive analysis approach. Notice I said "standard English" as opposed to "proper" English. There's no such thing as proper english. There is formal and informal English. Just like when we dress up formerly for a wedding , and dress down when going to play bball or chill with out friends, we do the same with our language. I have a masters degree and am currently pursuing a second master's degree yet I always speak AAVE when with family and certain friends. Language is social currency and it changes as our discourse changes. No problem admitting all AA talk like this because some extent they do, but the bigger concern is if they know how to code-switch effectively.

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

racism at its finest

I be finna and fixing to not respect it at all. Why on earth would you respect the intentional use of broken English that is a direct effect of the circumstances that some in this country went through? A lot of which effects us today??

i dont care how people talk but some people consider other people who speak like that to be uneducated....so they say its african american english?
PLEASE that dialect was used by southern whites before us AFRICAN AMERICANS could even speak english, we were slaves remember? we spoke in native tongue before english
so dont blame us for that way of speaking

Back
Top Bottom