Are breaks healthy for a relationship?

Originally Posted by UPPTEMPO8387

Depends if you trust each other. If you trust your girl, you'll assume she's using her free time to spend more time with friends, to work more hours at her job, to read more, etc..

If you don't trust her, whenever you're not busy you'll be sitting around paranoid that some other dude is beatin' her guts while you're watching Sportscenter. If you're together for over 3 years, you should be close/mature enough to fix w/e issue you have that is leading to a "break"
^^^^THIS.

Me and my gf been together for 3 years, with 1 of those years being long distance. It's tougher for us to have a break since we're away anyway, but it did get
to a point where loads of boredom set in, plus there was a bunch of crap goin on around us, pissing us off, with us almost being mad at each other. We just
too a 3 day break of no texting, no messaging at all, and BOY was that refreshing. I guess it's similar to a power nap when studying for something.

The reason I love NT is because everyone gives cookie cutter advice and most are not even beyond college age.

I would like to know those who posted, their age and longest relationship.  Just out of curiosity.

Breaks are healthy in a lot of relationships, whether it's an "open" break or an understanding that "Hey, we are still in a relationship, we just need some time apart".  If you have ever lived with someone, it can get overwhelming, some people lose the sense of "self".  Most decide that it's best to part ways, when in reality you just need time to find yourself.

It happens a lot with young couples.  There's a lot of reasons relationships fall apart, there are a lot of reasons marriages fall apart.   I think relationships would last longer if couple would give themselves space from time to time.  Not to explore the opposite sex or get the mythical "Hall Pass" but to explore themselves.  Have a trip with the boys/girls, let go and be "free".

There's a lot of tension in relationships, and if you don't have a "release" valve, the pipe will burst.

In a relationship you must have trust, it doesn't dissapear when a person wants a break/space.  Many are not mature enough to respect that type of request

^ He ain't even married yet tho. If he needs a break now, it will only get worse in the future.

Relationships do get stale after a couple years so that is why it is important to have a passion outside of your relationship that you can do on your own and that your girl will be cool with.

Really case by case.

Back
Top Bottom