Can one decently run in Retro Nikes?

Hi,

Just a couple of questions about re-edition of old nikes:
- does anyone know whether re-editions of 80/90's nikes are appropriate for running? It seems that they don't use materials as flexible and comfortable as the originals.
- does anyone know whether those Nike AIR really have air in their sole? I also doubt it.
I am particularly tempted to buy the Mariahs or the Flows for racing purposes (and also for the fun of it, as I am much less competitive as I used to be), but if I do I'm afraid I will never run with them.
FYI I started running in 1989-1990 at age 14, my first pair were Pegasus and I've worn out quite a bit of Nikes since then. Best of all times to me: Talarias 1997. Bought a replica in 2006 and was somehow quite disappointed with the shoe performance, or maybe it is just me getting older ;-)
Your expertise needed, thanks!

G.

Not at all. Hell, I wouldn't even run in the Air Max 2013. Yes, Nike Air really do have air in the soles, which is why I would never run in them. Have you ever felt a bag of air before? You get no stability within the shoe. As for running in old school shoes, don't do it. The Air Max 90 for example are simply not made for running anymore. They're not even putting as much cushioning into the shoe as the OGs because theybare made more for casual wear. Only Nike shoe I would run in is the Vomero, which uses a EVA cushioning.

Dear Foamposite, thanks a lot, although I would definitely have loved a different reply ;-)

I guess I just have to pray that one day, Nike will re-edit oldies for running purposes, not only for hip-hopsters and other sunday joggers...

Really appreciated your feedback! Thx

Yeah, I've seen some re-editions of those zooms and it coult be that they're made of the same stuff as the OGs. And indeed, they look cool too, but I need flats (for racing) and they do not quite belong to that category. And again, they look like the OGs, but you need to actually run with them to feel the difference. The Talarias I bought in 2006 really looked like the originals, but I found out that they did not include the (very smart) zoom air bag that covers almost the entire sole surface and made the OG a real bliss for running.

In a nutshell, new releases:

- Use different sole material

- Prevent your foot to breath by using heavier fabrics like suede, leather...

- Do not include (for most of them) air bags or a combination of different density materials that support and structure your impacts on the pavement

;-(

Back
Top Bottom