Could someone school me on starting a fantasy league where u play for $?

I want to start a league and all the people I asked wants to play for money. How much is usually the norm and do u win money weekly or just at the end?
nerd.gif

I usually participate in 5-6 money leagues for each of the three major fantasy sports (football, baseball, basketball) Entry fee is typically $50-$100 for a 12-14 team league.  And the following is what the payouts look like in most of the leagues....

Top regular season record gets 30% of pot 
1st place playoff finish gets 30% of pot 
2nd place regular season finish gets 15% of pot 
2nd place playoffs gets15% of pot 
3rd place playoffs gets10% of pot
So if you have 12 teams at $50 a piece your looking at a $600 pot and the max payout would be $400 if you won regular season and playoff titles.  I can see tightening up the payouts in a football league but in sports that require a lot of activity and have really long seasons like basketball and baseball its nice to pay out for both regular season and playoffs. I've also played in a few leagues where the the entry is larger but if your playing with a bunch of friends I feel like it's better to keep it under a bill because problems can arise when more money is at stake.  Also when money is involved its very important to have a very moral commissioner to ensure the integrity of the league as far trades and other acquisitions go. Also someone who is trustworthy enough to keep the money safe.

It all depends on how you want to run it, and how much you want to spend. Im in a rotisserie league where the buy in is $150, adds are $10, and having the lowest score every week costs $10. We take out $100 to pay for the website, give out $25 for having the highest score every week. Then we pay out 50% of the remaining pot to the winner, 25% to second place, 15% to third, 5% to fourth and 5% to the commissioner for running the league.

I wont the league last year and won $1650 after all my fees were paid.

Im also in another league that is $50 to join, free adds. First place takes home $450, second $100 and third gets their buy in back.

Thanks for the helpful info guys. I'm not trying to make it too complicated because everyone who's participating are new comers to this.

Im also in another league that is $50 to join, free adds. First place takes home $450, second $100 and third gets their buy in back.
I'm definitely feeling this setup. The only thing I would change is I would give 1st place $400 and give the extra $50 to whoever finishes with the top record...

Back
Top Bottom