Freestyle Motocross Progression...

With the X Games going on this weekend, I came to think that what these riders are doing today was at one point thought to be impossible. Not to long ago,(1998-2003) the backflip was considered the holy grail of FMX and now its a basic FMX move. I was watching old clips and came across the 2002 X Games clip  of Mike Metzger doing back to back backflips, these were basic standard backflips and the announcers went nuts and even called him a lunatic for attempting it... fast forward 2-3 years guys are doing crazy variations... 2006 Pastrana's double backflip... by this time theirs so many new tricks(body flips, backflip variations, 360's) that I didnt think many new things were possible. Fast Forward to today, guys are landing double backs on a more consistent bases, the first front flip(or variation of one), and we all know the 720 is coming in the near future. With all that said whats in store for the future of FMX? Sure as time progresses riders will perfect these harder tricks and add variations but will their come a time when this will get stale? Theirs only so much that can be done on a dirt bike...
Chime in NT Fam...

I used to be super into the X Games in middle school. I went to one in S.F. when I was like 13.

Anyways, the tricks these dudes are pulling nowadays are insane. Travis damn near killed himself a bunch of times. The front flip was
eek.gif

The crazy thing is that you have to commit 100% to to hit them. If you hesitate at all, you're gonna land on your dome and possibly the bike on top of you.

Yeah it's pretty crazy. Skateboarding has progressed a lot too. I remember in 99/2000 when I first started skating everyone had those little *%! boards and was trying to learn kickflips. But now tre flips are the new "thing" to do which is insane to think about considering I wasn't even concerned with a tre flip because $%@# like that seemed impossible back in the day.

Originally Posted by trak1sh

The progression in this sport is unlike any other....maybe a front flip?

I think some dude already did that. Saw a highlight on SC just the other night.

The progression in EVERY sport has advanced to an insane level.
It shows how much of the sport is purely psychological.

Every generation starts from where the last left off, and after several cycles, you're at a completely different place.

A great analogy is the 4 minute mile. Was thought to be impossible to break until 1 dude did it. As soon as he did it, a bunch others did the same.

It's all in the mind.

Originally Posted by 651akathePaul

Originally Posted by trak1sh

The progression in this sport is unlike any other....maybe a front flip?

I think some dude already did that. Saw a highlight on SC just the other night.
This dude Jackson Strong busted a front flip... three competitors later other guy tries a front flip no hander and crashes.

It seems like yesterday that Metzger pulled off the first backflip at the XGames. It's wild now.

PS- Shaun White is that dude. Turned PLG into Karl Malone.So shook he fell on the first trick...
30t6p3b.gif

I love extreme sports. Cant wait for snowboarding season to come again. 
pimp.gif

On topic though, theres always going to be creative people who do a trick or variation of the trick to keep the sport refreshed. Possibilities are endless.

I was thinking the same thing while I was watching it earlier. Just a few years ago the backflip was the holy grail of tricks, now backflips are like layups.
laugh.gif

On a sidenote, Shaun White's final run
sick.gif

the trick travis pastrana broke his foot trying to do was 
eek.gif
. if he would have landed that, even if it was a practice, it would have been crazy. 

Yeah i remember when i used to be into it, and they did the first backflip in x games, i almost died it looked so crazy. That was the last time i was really into it, then i checked back a few years later and some dude did a double backflip and the commentators were saying it wasn't good enough for 3rd i was like +%+#.

Originally Posted by ryair max 1

the trick travis pastrana broke his foot trying to do was 
eek.gif
. if he would have landed that, even if it was a practice, it would have been crazy. 

I peeped that too. he didn't even wanna wait for his next turn. he was determined to put on a show for the people. dude is insane
laugh.gif

I love the x games as much as anyone else, but man they got rid of SO much stuff! But I do agree, if you are not pulling flip variations then you might as well stay home. I've been watching every single one for about 10 years and remember some of the biggest moments (mirras double backflip, tony hawks 900, the first backflip in moto, double backflip) and now those are just like everyday tricks. Just think about what they will be doing in 10 years

It is crazy to think how far they have come but the majority of it is due to foam pits.

(what Travis tried to do at the Xgames)

Back
Top Bottom