JB 2013 Review

I got the idea for this thread from the s&t weekly football thread. Here is where you can post your review of JB's 2013 and make an comments you feel are necessary.

-For being the "year of the V" the Jordan I came out of this year as the top retroed model. While we have been getting a plethora of awful colorways for many years (this one saw some as well), the OG style high tops more than made up for it. I found my collection of Is going from 4 to 20 (pending my black/red pair doesn't get cancelled). Between the OG colorways and some great retro + colorways (Knicks, Celtics, Guccis, and Jokers (yes Jokers), you had a nice selection of good colorblocked 1s to get your hands on. Throw in the madness of trying to obtain the royal and black/red pairs and you have the "year of the I".

-The Gamma XI was criticized more than any retro+ colorway in recent memory. That being said I love my pairs and can't see how they get much heat as they are not tacky, are a predominantly black shoe, and are a safe retro+ that has simple colorblocking. I would also put the black/white XI lows into this category, as they too were a great retro+.

-The V did not live up to it's year imo. I will admit that the yellowing netting (not soles) makes the V not one of my favorite models, I still had to get both of the class white/black/red colorways. The retro+ colorways were not that impressive and were not as good as the IVs from the prior year. That being said, the oreos were a solid colorway, though the bel-air pair should be up with the DTRT III as one of the worst ideas ever implemented on a sneaker.

-The III saw another strong year, and produced some good but not great retro+ colorways and that classic and nicely well done Fire Red III and of course the white/cement iii with nike air branding. Looking back, I think the Joker III, Fear III, and the Bright Crimson III were good but could have been better. No out of place tongue on the Joker pair, no purple on the crimson pair, and a different colorblocking (due to it being the 3rd grey based III) on the Fear pair would have all been better. Still, they had a strong but not powerful showing in 2013.

-The IV did nothing for me outside of the toro IV which is one of the best retro+ colorways of the year and possibly all time. Love that pair, and would rank it over many of the OG color IVs.

-Despite only having 3 colorways releasing, the VIIIs came out well and the suns/knicks VIII was a great addition to the VIII line.

-The XIII had a great retro in the black toes, but faltered in the black/red pair which looked terrible without the 3m, and the squadron blue pair which was just awful.

-The XII had 2 strong releases with the taxis and the gamma XII which both seemed to have been made fairly well.

My top 10 pickups for the year (in no particular order):
1. Gamma XI
2. Toro IV
3. Royal I
4. Black/Red I
5. Gamma XII
6. Black/White XI Low
7. Chicago I
8. Black Toe I
9. Shadow I
10. Fire Red III

Last edited:
Gamma 11s at Number 1 and Gamma 12s in the top 10? 
mean.gif

before someone calls me out for not reading, pretty sure he edited in the mention of the 88 iii's after i posted. i didnt post that for them not being in his top 10 pick ups, but for him not mentioning them at all.

before someone calls me out for not reading, pretty sure he edited in the mention of the 88 iii's after i posted. i didnt post that for them not being in his top 10 pick ups, but for him not mentioning them at all.

Completely forgot about them as I didn't even try to get them since I have a pair from 2011. Thanks for the reminder, can't believe I forgot those!

Aside from ending the year with the complete madness with the Black/Red 1s, JB did an EXCELLENT job with the 1s this yead

The only Jordan brand sneakers I purchased this year were 1s. Which comes to me as a complete surprise since the V is my favorite model. Go figure. I bought the first Fire Red V (3M tongue) but returned them same day. That shoe was not the same. It was pure trash & felt like it on foot too. Got lucky with a few of my 1s, won a couple raffles (luck) & used some overseas familia to acquire Royals. That was a first for me. Prior to this year, my last JB purchase were FR IIIs back some few years ago. Between then and now, things have really changed. It's too much of a hassle just to get an opportunity to spend my hard-earned money on shoes.

I honestly don't know how you guys do it, either week-in and week-out or even month to month. I felt almost foolish standing in a long *** line for a piece of paper, on the coldest NYC days thus far. This **** ain't for me :lol:. I can see to a certain extent why some people are content to just pay reseller prices. If you factor in gas money and time lost (yes, one could have been at work or in school) while scouring the city for raffle tickets and FCFS locations, you may just end up paying close to some of these resell market values. And to make matters worse, I won 2 raffles this year for 1s (Black Toes & Blk/Red) and both were at my local spot which is a 10 minute walk from my house :lol:. I'll just chalk it up to luck, a great amount of luck with the blk/reds as I was told hundreds of people signed up at that location.

Thread deviation, indeed.

I thought this was a great year as far as what shoes released. Execution is a whole 'nother conversation. I wish nike/jordan brand would stop playing and release a decent amount for each release like how it used to be. I wish they would release all original colors with original branding and not the jumpman.

Also, I wish they wouldn't release so many models in one year.

I guess my post is more of a wish list than a review, lol.

Them dropping all the 1's this year is kinda weird. It has me thinking that they're not gonna retro them agan for a minute.

OP said his Top 10 pickups + said in no particular order why you
mean.gif
for
laugh.gif
fml, i didn't know it was in any particular order, but I would put the 11s in the top 10 this year, but not number 1, but being stupid like I am I didn't read that the list was in no order.

I'm not trying to roast the dude. I just think the gamma 12s weren't a top 10. But opinions are opinions I guess. 
A true aficionado with your 10/2013 start date.
oh right, so me joining NIKETALK in October means i haven't been following sneakers or even the site for a longer time than before that date right? 
mean.gif

I hate when people throw that bs out there. Seniority is irrelevant.

I'm a little disappointed, to be honest. Mainly cuz I read that these were supposed to drop and I was SO excited to finally replace my 07s.

View media item 717121

Guess the hunt on eBay begins... :frown: :smh:

Although, I do agree with mjmoney on one thing: they did kinda screw up with the Year of the 5s IN MY OPINION.

Pros: Alot of classic heat and the re-retro of the Laneys 
nthat.gif

Some good new ones like the black grapes and Shanghais, even the oreos were decent.

Cons: Some of the new color ways were bad. Bel-air Vs, 3Lab5 gammas and i personally thought the DB5 were very overated

Plus things like the Fear 5s being very limited and the Shenghais being an oversea exclusive kinda bothered me.

Hope they don't disrespect my favorite Silhouette (VI) next year. 
mean.gif

Back
Top Bottom