Need help- windows 7 laptop suddenly slowdown in last few days

I'm using a duocore Dell laptop running windows 7, which is maybe 1 or 2 years old. It has been pretty zappy for the past 2 years, hardly any slowdowns
but the past few days its getting really laggy.
The most obvious is when I leave my music playing in the background, the music starts to slowdown and lag.. that is really getting on my nervs.. my music don't play properly and there are broken noises.

I checked the desktop manager to see what has been using the resources, all it shows is that svchost.exe has been using up more than 50% of my cpu. but that's a regular windows service so I can't close it.

can anyone tell me what i should do? I just ran an AVG virus test. no difference. or should I just system restore to an earlier date?

I'm using a duocore Dell laptop running windows 7, which is maybe 1 or 2 years old. It has been pretty zappy for the past 2 years, hardly any slowdowns
but the past few days its getting really laggy.
The most obvious is when I leave my music playing in the background, the music starts to slowdown and lag.. that is really getting on my nervs.. my music don't play properly and there are broken noises.

I checked the desktop manager to see what has been using the resources, all it shows is that svchost.exe has been using up more than 50% of my cpu. but that's a regular windows service so I can't close it.

can anyone tell me what i should do? I just ran an AVG virus test. no difference. or should I just system restore to an earlier date?

I had a Dell laptop too and hated it, had the same issue.
Running disk cleanup helped a bit

I had a Dell laptop too and hated it, had the same issue.
Running disk cleanup helped a bit

I would uninstall AVG and get Microsoft Security Essentials.  It's free and lightweight so it won't slow anything down.  First, type in MRT into the search bar and run that.  It will tell you if there are any security problems on your system.  If you keep firefox or itunes open for an extended period of time, that will also start eating up significant resources on your system.

If all else fails, try doing the system restore and make sure to back everything up first in case something goes wrong.

I would uninstall AVG and get Microsoft Security Essentials.  It's free and lightweight so it won't slow anything down.  First, type in MRT into the search bar and run that.  It will tell you if there are any security problems on your system.  If you keep firefox or itunes open for an extended period of time, that will also start eating up significant resources on your system.

If all else fails, try doing the system restore and make sure to back everything up first in case something goes wrong.

OK I'm running the MRT program now.
I found out I can't system restore anymore because I just did a windows update yesterday, and it became the only restore point.
kinda frustrating.. i've uninstalled all the programs i've installed recently n no help.
firefox and itunes seem to be the main culprits

I found out I can't system restore anymore because I just did a windows update yesterday, and it became the only restore point.
kinda frustrating.. i've uninstalled all the programs i've installed recently n no help.

Yeah. Firefox is my main web browser, but I did notice Google Chrome is much faster in loading pages and loading up overall. I might have to switch that over.

Yeah. Firefox is my main web browser, but I did notice Google Chrome is much faster in loading pages and loading up overall. I might have to switch that over.

Originally Posted by leonard109

Make sure to increase the allocation size for your system restores.  Better to have too much space than too little and find out when it's too late.

Originally Posted by leonard109

Make sure to increase the allocation size for your system restores.  Better to have too much space than too little and find out when it's too late.

Back
Top Bottom