NT, Are Roids' the reason scoring is down & pitching dominance is up?

They were discussing this on PTI and it was a good story IMO.

They were discussing if the ban on steroids and strict consequences if caught using them is the reason why scoring averages are down in recent years and this year pitchers are dominating the game like never before.

There's been 3 (Counting the blown call from last week) perfect games in the first 3 months of the season (There never were more than 1 in a season before) and if you look at the dominance of guys like Jimenez, Carlos Silva, Roy Holladay, there W-L records & ERA are insane
sick.gif

Do ya agree with that or is this just a great crop of pitchers we have in the game?

Yes. Baseball is phasing out all of the older players and the steroids penalties and the embarrassment that comes with it is causing the turn from a hitters league into a pitchers league.

The dominance of those NL pitchers is a direct result of NL Batting being weaker than the AL though..

What they were discussing on PTI was the amphetamine ban, which is what the report claims is the reason...not steroids.

Man don't group Carlos Silva with 2 superstars.

I don't think it's the lack of steroids that has lead to the increase in pitching performances, but rather that baseball in general is swaying to becoming a pitcher dominated sport. A lot of the great hitters are now getting older while a lot of great pitchers are developing and coming into their own. The Perfect Games thing is just an anomaly, I wouldn't put too much stock in it.

I'm sure it's a contributing factor, but i don't think it's the only reason for the success of pitchers

Originally Posted by wildKYcat

lmao, y'all seriously don't think pitchers weren't/aren't using PEDs right?

My guess would be PED's would help out batters moreso then pitchers wouldn't they?  Pitchers may throw harder, but unless they add movement, a hitter juiced up is going to crush hard fastballs and what not. 

Where as on an even playing field, pitching looks to have the advantage so far. 

But yes, pitchers were using stuff the past decade as well. 

Originally Posted by CP1708

Originally Posted by wildKYcat

lmao, y'all seriously don't think pitchers weren't/aren't using PEDs right?

My guess would be PED's would help out batters moreso then pitchers wouldn't they?  Pitchers may throw harder, but unless they add movement, a hitter juiced up is going to crush hard fastballs and what not. 

Where as on an even playing field, pitching looks to have the advantage so far. 

But yes, pitchers were using stuff the past decade as well. 

Its not always about performance itself. PED's can help players recover much quicker. Im sure that is what alot of pitchers used them for, that and increasing strength to try and throw harder/faster like you said.

I just think it's the cyclical pattern of baseball. The amount of talent fluctuates between hitter and pitcher. I agree when a report says the amphetamine ban has had a large effect on hitters. I think the dying of steroids has a really minute thing to do with the change. After all, pitchers are baseball players, meaning they're the same as Sammy Sosa and Jose Canseco.

I believe that a lot of pitchers (though not as high of a % as hitters) were using PEDs as well, but more for the recovery benefits than for power/strength, though that is a benefit as well, I'm sure.

Originally Posted by RoOk

They were discussing this on PTI and it was a good story IMO.

They were discussing if the ban on steroids and strict consequences if caught using them is the reason why scoring averages are down in recent years and this year pitchers are dominating the game like never before.

There's been 3 (Counting the blown call from last week) perfect games in the first 3 months of the season (There never were more than 1 in a season before) and if you look at the dominance of guys like Jimenez, Carlos Silva, Roy Holladay, there W-L records & ERA are insane
sick.gif

Do ya agree with that or is this just a great crop of pitchers we have in the game?

Add Clay Buchholz and David Price, to that list. 
Best young Pitchers in the AL and 2 of top 5 in MLB right now

the reason we're seeing some dominant pitching is because...there's been some dominating pitching.  that's it.  there's no cute little theory as to why.  it's baseball, and it's been only 2 months...generally, it all evens out over the course of the season.

not having multiple guy's hit 45-50+ homers is about the only thing related to the steroid "era."

When Mike Stanton and Bryce hjarper have 56 homer seasons, we will forget these threads ever happened.

Back
Top Bottom