Official PHOENIX SUNS Off-Season Thread

fish5ac9.jpg

The Suns fans on here really need to bone up on their understanding of cap flexibility and salaries...

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/phoenix.htm

Suns are currently and next year 16+ million dollars over the cap = CANNOT SIGN FREE AGENTS under the collective bargaining agreement. I repeat the Sunswill be unable to sign free agents. They could possibly sign someone with the mid-level or veteran's exception, but those are likely to go to existingplayers like Grant Hill.

They can do sign and trades theoretically or just straight up trades, but no one is going to take Diaw at $9 million X 3 more years or Shaq at $20 million X2 more years.
The only tradable assets are Nash, Amare, and Barbosa. With Nash and Amare; trading them basically means you are blowing up the team. On the other hand withBarbosa; he is pretty much the best player you can sign for 6 million a year. Any trade involving Barbosa straight up one for one is just going to move youlaterally. In the 6 million dollar range you are just looking at guys like Vladimir Radmanovic, Jason Kapono, Matt Harpring, Antonio Daniels. Sure there area few great players making less (Monta Ellis, Danny Granger, Rudy Gay, Josh Smith), but they are on their rookie or second contracts and teams won't givethose up. You can hope for someone to take Barbosa and Diaw together and trade up for a Rashard Lewis type who makes 15-16 million, but again that is pie inthe sky thinking (No team in its right mind will take Diaw at 9 million at 3 more years) For comparison's sake some players who are making 9 milliondollars that teams would be interesed in: Josh Howard, Gerald Wallace, Caron Butler, Mike Miller, Jamal Crawford etc. There is no way someone will take Diawfor 9 mill when there's an abundance of great players out there who you could get for the same amount of money. I wouldn't hold out hope that anyonewill give you guys anything for Boris Diaw. Also, don't get this confused with things like the Kwame trade. He had an expiring contract of 9 million thatcomes off the books for Memphis next year.

There is nothing the Suns can really do to shake it up. With the Shaq trade, Kerr put you guys over the cap for 2 more years. Miami is already under thecap next year because of the trade. The only options for the team next year are that the Suns sucker someone into taking Diaw's horrible contract or tosign an extremely good veteran to the mid-level and cut Grant Hill. Doesn't look good.

if diaw can grow up a bit and become more consistent, he could be good to have around. nash isn't worth keeping now that the suns aren't the track meetstyle team anymore. plus like everyone else said, new coach that plays more than 6 guys a night.

A new coach is not going to change the fact that this team will be a year older...not looking good.

The Suns fans on here really need to bone up on their understanding of cap flexibility and salaries...
I don't recall anyone mentioning signing free agents. While the Suns payroll is what it is, it is not the closed door you're suggesting.

A key point to remember is that there are things that can be done if Sarver is willing to approve it. So far, his financial decision-making has cost the teamJoe Johnson, Kurt Thomas, draft picks aplenty, and who knows how many other opportunities. All because he wouldn't go the extra mile.

Yes, your point about the current financial state of the Suns is taken. Players can still be traded. I'm not saying Kerr will necessarily do that but theopportunity, however limited, is there.

The situation is up to Sarver to provide a bit more flexibility if the team can make a move that helps.

I'm not sure the roster needs any dramatic changes. If there's one move that can help the team, sure. But the real issues for the team are 1.)D'Antoni and 2.) the team's lack of determination and drive (which D'Antoni's coaching may have something to do with).

sign a shooter to spread the floor! how many times did nash drive baseline and game 5 and did not have any passing angles? giricek lost his stroke, and theteam traded james jones for nothing!
a player who would be a good fit for them (dont know if he's signed a 1 or 2 yr deal) is james posey...he doesnt need plays ran for him, he's a gooddefender and he can knock down the open 3.

i'd draft a defensive minded pg like mario chalmers (even though 15 is a little high) and hope to sign a SF for the MLE

Back
Top Bottom