Pac-10 Expanding...OU, UT, TAMU, TT joining. (Cue the Bad Boys 2 gif)

I love how tmay has turned on his own school after defending it so hard earlier.
laugh.gif

Like I've said before, I just wanted my school (ASU) to play all of my hometown friends' schools (which are all in the Big 12 South).

It'd be fun to be "in the mix" with each other and be able to talk !%#!.

I'm disappointed that it's not gonna happen.

Shame on all of these schools for causing such a !%#! storm and then backing out.

On the other hand, shame on A&M for pounding its chest, talking about "independence," only to be kept in check by their "big brother."

Where was A&M going to go where they wouldn't be getting "outrevenued" by the other schools?

People keeping saying that there is no way that TV deal money is possible. Why given the markets involved?

Also people keep getting tight about the Bevo network why can't the other schools launch their own?

I keep hearing how Texas is the devil because they are simply doing whats best for them, when every other school has the same opportunities.

Originally Posted by ricky robot

I love how tmay has turned on his own school after defending it so hard earlier.
laugh.gif

On the other hand, shame on A&M for pounding its chest, talking about "independence," only to be kept in check by their "big brother."
It's like with family...I may talk !@!# about 'em, but I'm still gonna defend 'em against any outsiders.

And from all accounts, it seems that Gov. Rick Perry may be the one that kept TAMU in check.

Originally Posted by SneakerPro

Also people keep getting tight about the Bevo network why can't the other schools launch their own?

I keep hearing how Texas is the devil because they are simply doingwhats best for them, when every other school has the same opportunities.
Texas isn't projected to break even on the network until at least year 4. As one of the very few programs in the nation that is fully self-sufficient, Texas actually has the cash to spend to take that kind of loss for 3 years. There aren't too many other schools in the nation that are able to do that. And at a time when universities are being asked to come up with budgets that project anywhere from a 5% decrease and a 10% decrease in funding, not too many programs are going to be able to borrow funds from the school to make their own local network economically feasible.

I can't remember who said it, but during the UT to the Pac-10 talks, the topic of the $10 million buyout was being discussed from UT's perspective. The source in the article said that Texas has that kind of money in petty cash. I don't know if a lot of people know it, but UT's athletic department actually makes enough money that it turns around gives some of that money back to the school off the top. It's crazy how profitable that program is.

Originally Posted by tmay407

Originally Posted by ricky robot

laugh.gif

It's like with family...I may talk **@# about 'em, but I'm still gonna defend 'em against any outsiders.

And from all accounts, it seems that Gov. Rick Perry may be the one that kept TAMU in check.

Okay this is the point I'm trying to make.

No matter what Texas is going to outrevenue A&M and the other schools in the conference and probably any conference they end up in. So why are they being looked at like the devil.
Even if every school in the Big 12 or Pac 16 gets the exact same amount of money  from TV Texas's side hustles are going to kill everybody else's.

I mean its Texas, I really don't see how any of other schools in any conference are going to be able to compete no matter what when it comes to revenue earning.

It goes beyond the revenue sharing problems. I'd go deeper into it, but I don't really have time right now. A lot of the schools just finally got fed up with UT because Dan Beebe and the Big 12 seemed to be catering to UT, and doing whatever it took to appease them and make them the most powerful.

From what I've understood, Texas has been against the conference trying to form a Big 12 Network, but has no problem wanting to start their own regional Bevo TV. Since UT is the only school that has the funds to create their own network, it kinda pisses off other schools that they'd be unwilling to commit to the greater good of the conference.

It goes beyond the revenue sharing problems. I'd go deeper into it, but I don't really have time right now. A lot of the schools just finally got fed up with UT because Dan Beebe and the Big 12 seemed to be catering to UT, and doing whatever it took to appease them and make them the most powerful.

From what I've understood, Texas has been against the conference trying to form a Big 12 Network, but has no problem wanting to start their own regional Bevo TV. Since UT is the only school that has the funds to create their own network, it kinda pisses off other schools that they'd be unwilling to commit to the greater good of the conference.
But obviously there has been some kinda of compromise or else the Conference wouldn't be staying together. So why are folks crying?

Maybe Texas should have got with the program sooner but here we are.

But obviously there has been some kinda of compromise or else the Conference wouldn't be staying together. So why are folks crying?

Seven of the teams had no choice. It was either deal with it or join the likes of Conference USA. Supposedly politics are the reason TAMU stayed in the Big 12 (as well as Bill Byrne's preference to stay in the Big 12 for traveling reasons). For whatever reason, OU tied themselves to UT throughout the process and never looked around at other options.

It's not like all of these schools dropped other more viable options to run back to the Big 12.

Eight of the teams had no choice. It was either deal with it or join the likes of Conference USA. Supposedly politics are the reason TAMU stayed in the Big 12 (as well as Bill Byrne's preference to stay in the Big 12 for traveling reasons). For whatever reason, OU tied themselves to UT throughout the process and never looked around at other options.

It's not like all of these schools dropped other more viable options to run back to the Big 12.
You think OU would still be able to come steal recruits out of Texas if they didn't play Texas or the other Texas schools 4 or 5 times a year?

IMO the main reason why the SEC would bring A&M in is to come in into Texas and pillage recruits without having to worry about A&M stealing theirs.

No man, sorry, ur way off base. the main reason SEC wanted A&M was the Texas TV Market for ABC/ESPN. it would give them a percent of TV that by default has been going to Fox Networks

U musta forgot where all the SEC teams are located, they dont need to recruit outside of their region, including texas.

So on the new deal Texas will make between 20-25 million and everyone else 14-17 million? Hahahahahhahahaha

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

No man, sorry, ur way off base. the main reason SEC wanted A&M was the Texas TV Market for ABC/ESPN. it would give them a percent of TV that by default has been going to Fox Networks

U musta forgot where all the SEC teams are located, they dont need to recruit outside of their region, including texas.

Weren't like 7 of A&M's games not on TV anywhere last year, I mean ur probably right but it ain't like folks are clamoring to see A&M on TV

what have u learned from this last week of posturing and negotiations?

this should have showed u and everyone else that it is about the $. nothing more, nothing less.

how many games A&M were on TV last yr has nothing to do with it. it woulda been about them being on TV in general in the ABC/ESPN coverage slots to go up against what would have been the pac 16.

the entire purpose was to have a Texas team on TV as the number 2 or 3 espn/abc game would slice into the Texas viewership of a Pac 16 afternoon game.

just think to yourself why on earth would the SEC offer an invite to Texas a&m over more prominent teams such as FSU or Miami or Va tech (all of whom are in the same region and wouldnt burden ath. departments with extra travel fees)?

answer. TV Markets.

the SEC already dominates all 3 of the latter teams Television markets

having a team in Texas would cut into their Main competitors market share.

$$$$$$$$$

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

what have u learned from this last week of posturing and negotiations?

this should have showed u and everyone else that it is about the $. nothing more, nothing less.

how many games A&M were on TV last yr has nothing to do with it. it woulda been about them being on TV in general in the ABC/ESPN coverage slots to go up against what would have been the pac 16.

the entire purpose was to have a Texas team on TV as the number 2 or 3 espn/abc game would slice into the Texas viewership of a Pac 16 afternoon game.

just think to yourself why on earth would the SEC offer an invite to Texas a&m over more prominent teams such as FSU or Miami or Va tech (all of whom are in the same region and wouldnt burden ath. departments with extra travel fees)?

answer. TV Markets.

the SEC already dominates all 3 of the latter teams Television markets

having a team in Texas would cut into their Main competitors market share.

$$$$$$$$$

Hmmm makes sense.

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

So on the new deal Texas will make between 20-25 million and everyone else 14-17 million? Hahahahahhahahaha

I think I read somewhere that UT, OU, and TAMU are all getting $17-$20 million, and the rest are getting $14-$17 million. When you add in UT's network, they'll be up around $25 million. I also read somewhere that UT demanded an "extra sweetener" in the TV deal, so it is possible that they could be getting in that $20-$25 million range, pre-network.And SneakerPro, honestly, I do think OU would still poach some Texas recruits if they weren't in the same conference as UT.

Originally Posted by youngW951

thanks alot tamu and texas for wimping out now the mountian west cant get 16 teams so it cant have a bcs bowl bid and now boise state/utah/tcu will never have a chance at national championship
Well, I guess there is one positive to all of this...
well tamu is probably relieved that they dont have to get wipped in the sec they can barely keep thier heads above water in the big 12 so i hope they have fun with thier 8-4 record and bowl game beat down next year
laugh.gif

This whole thing was solely about the money and Texas won.

Originally Posted by xX LeGod Xx

This whole thing was solely about the money and Texas won.
smh.gif

I don't understand how the TV stations are going to make their money on this deal. The new Big XII-2 is not a very strong conference and only has three premier matchups all year. Texas/OU, Texas/A&M, and OU/Oklahoma State. Other than that, most of the matchups are terrible. Nobody wants to watch Baylor vs. Kansas State or Oklahoma State vs. Iowa State. If there was a good SEC or top 25 matchup in the same time slot its going to be even harder to get an audience. Just because Texas is playing doesnt mean the rest of the country is interested. Especially if its against a garbage team or Texas is in a down year.

That is why I have heard that they want the teams in the new conference to start scheduling better out of conference games. They have to generate more big games so they can draw the necessary audience. Watch for all of the Longhorn Athletic Conference members to beef up some of their out of conference schedules.

I think its hilarious that they dont actually have a new TV deal and all the numbers being thrown out are done by speculators. This could still blow up in their face. You dont think if the Big Ten comes calling for Missouri again in the winter they wont leave? I hear Texas Tech isnt real happy about this deal either even though they have no choice.

http://collegefootballtal...ls-for-big-12/?related=1
Perhaps the biggest news coming out commissioner Dan Beebe's press conference this afternoon -- other than the fact that Kansas, Kansas State, Missouri, Baylor and Iowa State are officially the rest of the Big 12's biznatches -- is the fact that there is no new television in place for the Big 12.
In the wake of Texas recommitting to the league Monday, multiple reports had a tweaked television deal paying Texas upwards of $25 million -- and other schools at least doubling what they've been receiving -- as the linchpin in keeping the Big 12 intact.

Beebe said earlier today that there is no new TV deal from either FOX or ESPN/ABC; rather, the conference was assured -- with those assurances being relayed to all ten schools -- by various "consultants that we are in a tremendous position to reach agreements to put us on par with anyone in the country."  Additionally, there is no signed agreement that will keep the conference together.  Instead, Beebe is taking them all at their word that they will remain true to the conference.

Beebe said earlier today that there is no new TV deal from either FOX or ESPN/ABC; rather, the conference was assured -- with those assurances being relayed to all ten schools -- by various "consultants that we are in a tremendous position to reach agreements to put us on par with anyone in the country."  Additionally, there is no signed agreement that will keep the conference together.  Instead, Beebe is taking them all at their word that they will remain true to the conference.

So Texas basically grabbed Beebe by the balls and they're holding those other 9 schools hostage to get Larry Scott or Mike Slive to let them have their own network.

Because we all know the Big XII as it currently stands won't be able to survive long term.

Smart move on Texas' part, that's for sure.

Originally Posted by P MAC ONE

So Texas basically grabbed Beebe by the balls and they're holding those other 9 schools hostage to get Larry Scott or Mike Slive to let them have their own network.

Because we all know the Big XII as it currently stands won't be able to survive long term.

Smart move on Texas' part, that's for sure.

You really think this will stand? Someone is going to stand up and defect right?
sick.gif
Texas is getting really bold.....

For what it's worth one of my good friends is on the Utah football team and he told me that they have already informed the team they will be going to the Pac-10.

For what it's worth one of my good friends is on the Utah football team and he told me that they have already informed the team they will be going to the Pac-10.

Back
Top Bottom