Question about the MLB Draft, draftees, and college.

A lot of these kids that were drafted by professional teams have also committed to Universities. These kids sign contracts, right? If so, they are professionals, so why are they allowed to play college ball? Or are there different rules for different sports?

They arent allowed to play college ball. Kids commit to colleges, and MLB teams are aware of that. THey can draft these kids anyways with hopes of luring them away from the colleges to play pro ball. The kid will then have the option of choosing pro ball or college. He cant do both.

It's an either/or deal

You're committed, but in no way are you required to go.

You're not under contract with a team until terms are agreed upon, after which their commitment is thrown out the window.

If you don't sign by 8/15, which is the deadline, you can continue on to the committed school or do whatever else

If you're drafted out of high school, you either sign a contract or you go to college... Prep stars have a ton of leverage in that regard. They can pretty well name their price and not have to come off it much.

The signing deadline for MLB draftees is in early-August, so they'll know before classes start whether they're reporting to school or signing a deal...

If they choose not to sign, they cannot enter the draft again until the draft AFTER their 21st birthday or they've been in college for three years, whichever comes first. At that point, they either sign or go back to school to finish out their eligibility.

One thing to keep in mind, in most cases, if the kid has committed somewhere the teams are expected to be shelling out $$$ to turn them away from college ball.

As we will be seeing shortly with the Dodgers expected to fail in attempting to sign their first round pick.

Such a @%#$ ing waste of a pick
smh.gif

But in the situation of Kyle Parker, he can play both College FB & Minor League Bball, and keep the signing bonuses and such as long as he relinquishes his scholarship and doesn't get any endorsements, right?

Originally Posted by MoGotti2

all i know is that someone from my school just got drafted in the top 40
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

We had 2 top 40's yessssir!!

My boys Christian Colon and Gary Brown!!

Originally Posted by The Wizard

But in the situation of Kyle Parker, he can play both College FB & Minor League Bball, and keep the signing bonuses and such as long as he relinquishes his scholarship and doesn't get any endorsements, right?
No endorsements but he can get all the baseball money he wants.

Originally Posted by PharelFor3

Originally Posted by The Wizard

No endorsements but he can get all the baseball money he wants.
word didnt cedric benson do this....
nerd.gif

and Deion.

Zach Cox (from the hood, went to my high school) was drafted by the Dodgers in '08.  went to Arkansas instead and St. Louis drafted him 25th overall yesterday.  he's a sophomore, but he's 21.

kid can flat out hit.  best hitter in college according to Baseball America.

I just read up on this Bryce Harper dude. Son quit High School at 15 and got his GED. How come that type of +%%! isn't as hyped as if someone tried to do that in HS and they played Basketball or something?

Jeremy Tyler did do that...and failed miserably.  it's easier in baseball with all the minor league levels.  Tyler went to Europe, made some decent money... and i'll bet we never hear from him again.

Harper's hyped because he's absolutely killing.
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by wildKYcat

Jeremy Tyler did do that...and failed miserably.  it's easier in baseball with all the minor league levels.  Tyler went to Europe, made some decent money... and i'll bet we never hear from him again.

laugh.gif
pimp.gif

I wasn't really asking about their results...I was asking why isn't it AS talked about? When Jeremy Tyler skipped his senior year...they doomed him before he even touched a basketball overseas. And if some kid 100% more talented than Tyler...let's say if Andre Drummond decided to try it after next year...he'd get killed for it too.
Obviously Harper's the truth...but I'm just saying...why do they get that pass in the media like that?

I understand the minor league thing...but prospects have the same option with the NBDL. And even someone like Latavious Williams who actually graduated HS and has a diploma but decided on the D-League and is still draft eligible...still got crucified in the media.

Originally Posted by Im Not You

laugh.gif
pimp.gif

I wasn't really asking about their results...I was asking why isn't it AS talked about? When Jeremy Tyler skipped his senior year...they doomed him before he even touched a basketball overseas. And if some kid 100% more talented than Tyler...let's say if Andre Drummond decided to try it after next year...he'd get killed for it too.
Obviously Harper's the truth...but I'm just saying...why do they get that pass in the media like that?

I understand the minor league thing...but prospects have the same option with the NBDL. And even someone like Latavious Williams who actually graduated HS and has a diploma but decided on the D-League and is still draft eligible...still got crucified in the media.
maybe because they wont make as much as their baseball counterparts if they choose the NBDL route? but its true..ESPN was talmbout how he "graduated early" when in reality he dropped out and got his GED..someone was talking about it on twitter I forgot who

Originally Posted by ME NO PASS

Originally Posted by Im Not You

laugh.gif
pimp.gif

maybe because they wont make as much as their baseball counterparts if they choose the NBDL route? but its true..ESPN was talmbout how he "graduated early" when in reality he dropped out and got his GED..someone was talking about it on twitter I forgot who
This is true too. That will never be a widespread practice if those kids are getting 30K to play. But look @ Jennings tho. Son skipped college to get a mil...and they still tried to play him. 

it's just so common for baseball players not to go to college, i guess.  Harper was likely going to be the #1 pick when he became eligible for the draft no matter what he did...i'd say that's why he got a pass.  tho there were people against it. Tyler got killed for his decision...and the result of that decision was exactly why...it was a mistake.  Lebron coulda skip his senior season of hs, went wherever, and still been the #1 pick when draft eligible...i don't think he woulda got hammered by media.

i'd just say that the "margin of error" is greater for basketball players with these type of moves.  

besides...compare the # of baseball players you've heard about while they were still in high school to the # of basketball player hyped while in high school.

Kinda surprising they put him down as a RF right away instead of keeping him at C/3B. They really want him in the majors as fast as possible.

Dodgers are idiots, don't know what they're thinking with their pick.  Ditto for the Cubs.

Originally Posted by Proshares

Kinda surprising they put him down as a RF right away instead of keeping him at C/3B. They really want him in the majors as fast as possible.

Dodgers are idiots, don't know what they're thinking with their pick.  Ditto for the Cubs.
Dodgers knew exactly what they were doing, drafting a guy with a very low chance of signing.  That divorce is making him cut back on all spending

Originally Posted by Proshares

Dodgers knew exactly what they were doing, drafting a guy with a very low chance of signing.  That divorce is making him cut back on all spending

Back
Top Bottom