Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

“When I see you stand by Sexyy Red I believe you see two bad b***hes
I believe you don't like women, it's real competition, you might pop a*s with 'em
Let's speak on percentage, show me your splits
I make sure I double back with you
You was signed to a n***a that's signed to a n***a that said he was signed to that n***a
Try cease and desist on the 'Like That' record
***, what? You ain't like that record
'Back To Back,' I like that record
I'ma get back to that for the record
Why would I call around tryna get dirt on n***as?
Y'all think all of my life is rap?
That's *** s**t, I got a son to raise, but I can see you know nothin' 'bout that”

I don’t care what any Drake stans/fans/mans say. Kendrick barred dude up. :lol:

I'm outside every weekend. I've heard Take Care tracks still get spins in the club.

Can't tell you the last time I heard anything from NWTS

So Far Gone, Take Care, and NWTS are modern day classics. Point blank period. If they arent then I would like for people to show me they list of classic rap projects in the last 15 years. GKMC is also a classic. So is 2014 FHD.
Who is "most people"?
I would say the general consesus of people who listen to rap and are outside. At least in Houston. You can ask anybody my age, and they will tell you all of those are classics. Where do you think the "old Drake" narrative came from? Yall are buggin. He didnt become the #1 artist for no reason.

I'm outside every weekend. I've heard Take Care tracks still get spins in the club.

Can't tell you the last time I heard anything from NWTS
No cap I heard started from the bottom last Saturday in a day club. But hey if its not a classic to you its not a classic. **** they still play From Time and Worst Behavior on the damn radio

99% of Drake fans wear high heels.

17e4nz.gif

No cap I heard started from the bottom last Saturday in a day club. But hey if its not a classic to you its not a classic. **** they still play From Time and Worst Behavior on the damn radio

I need evidence cause I've haven't heard Started from the Bottom in a social setting since 2015

well im talking about what personally annoys me. so it may not connect for you.

TO ME it's really obvious that music critics especially white ones treat Kendrick with a level of charity and lack of scrutiny they don't treat a lot of artists.
imo it's mostly because of racism and their notions of what counts for black authenticity.
upper class white critics like Kendrick because Kendricks story and identity fits into their conception of hip-hop as black music more so than Drake for example.
because hiphop is fundamentally and exotic art form for them that they wish to observe.

Damn winning the pulitzer prize. The frenzied reaction to TPAB.
they like their rap artist to be from impoverished circumstances, to be connected to gang violence, ect
because subconsciously they it feels more authentically "black"

Drake breaks this spell, because of his upper middle class upbringing, they view him more as a peer so they don't allow the same leeway that they give to more authentically black artists.

imo it feels like they prefer rap to be like a trip to an exotic war torn planet where Kendrick speaks for this alien race of people.

you notice this in the critical double standard employed in the way critics talk about Drake vs Kendrick's misogyny.
Because they view Drake as a peer, his standard rapper level of misogyny is heavily scrutinized.

1714500455941.png

there are tons and tons of these articles and think pieces. for kendrick there's like a handful.
and even articles that do criticize this they bend over backwards to give deference to him as the voice of a people.

1714500694098.png

tbh I think it's all covert unconscious racism. most black americans are middle class,
but authentic blackness to most critics is inextricably linked to poverty and violence.

this has nothing really to with the beef, it's just something i've noticed and has always bugged me.
it goes beyond Drake vs Kendrick. if you consume a lot of music criticism, especially as it relates to rap.

If you are black rapper that codes as lower class you pretty much have a free reign to do whatever.
if you as a black rapper code as middle class the political content of your music will get much more scrutiny.
Kendrick can release a mid album with banal observations about therapy or release an album with a bunch allusions to crackpot Hebrew Israelite stuff
and you won't get serious analysis of this, imo it's the soft bigotry of low expectations.
if a more middle class black rapper came with the "you're not black" bars, best believe the think pieces would be flying.
but it's Kendrick so it's fine,
If a more middle class black rapper came with the "we hate the women you're with", the misogynoir think peices would start stacking up.
but it's Kendrick so it's fine,

this isn't kendricks fault, so i don't blame him or discount the diss because of the diss, it's just a double standard i PERSONALLY find annoying.
I read some of that and your perspective is skewed my guy.

You’re talking about scrutiny of the subject matter. One only talks about surface level matters that should be below his maturity level. The other has tackled numerous issues plaguing communities. One deserves scrutiny, the other (from your perspective) deserves scrutiny because they’re theorizing musically.

It sounds like you identify with Aubrey more than Dot, and you’re turning that into something it’s not.

well im talking about what personally annoys me. so it may not connect for you.
Yea, but has nothing to do with why Kendrick is commenting on Drake and his blackness. Rick Ross has been calling him white boy for the past month. That’s what I’m clarifying. Maybe it’s a Black American annoyance dudes in the rap game being over how Drake uses Black American culture. Not sure, but it definitely doesn’t have anything to do with Kendrick being anointed by white liberals that you hate.

I read some of that and your perspective is skewed my guy.

You’re talking about scrutiny of the subject matter. One only talks about surface level matters that should be below his maturity level. The other has tackled numerous issues plaguing communities. One deserves scrutiny, the other (from your perspective) deserves scrutiny because they’re theorizing musically.

It sounds like you identify with Aubrey more than Dot, and you’re turning that into something it’s not.

yeah If Kdot is the artist that is talking about real issues that are plaguing the community,
doesn't his music deserves MORE scrutiny, not less?

Back
Top Bottom