**Seattle Mariners 2024 Season Thread ** | 31-27 | vs Angels & @ A's |

^ The way he's been such a big part of the team this season, you almost forget that he's just a rookie....

But... 0-5???
30t6p3b.gif

When was the last time everyone BUT Ichiro got a hit?

M’s Call Up Saunders, Liddi, and RHP Steve Delabar

by Taylor Halperin ~ September 5th, 2011 at 5:51 pm

delabar_steve.jpg
[Note: Nathan posted an awesome article that can be found by scrolling down to below this one.  Hi, Nathan!]

Two-third of this roster move was expected.  The remaining one-third, however, came out of nowhere.

CF Michael Saunders surfaced as an obvious choice when Gutierrez hurt his oblique, and 3B Alex Liddi earned his promotion on the strength of 29 home runs for the Rainiers this season.  Saunders has a decent chance to be an above-average major league center-fielder, and Liddi, while not quite as shiny a prospect, turned heads with an excellent offensive season in AAA and might potentially contribute to the M’s if he figures things out on defense.  Chone Figgins will apparently never get to play ever again ever.

As for Delabar, here is what I know about him: 
  1. He does not have a Wikipedia page.
  2. He is right-handed and 6’5″.
  3. He struck out 48 hitters in 43 innings in AA and AAA this year.
  4. He walked 32 hitters in 43 innings this year.
  5. The Mariners’ front office thinks he may be able to pitch well in the major leagues in the near future.
  6. His name, when spelled backward, is Rabaled Evets.
Delabar throws hard and sometimes throws well.  I didn’t see this coming, but considering how much of a crapshoot evaluating relief pitchers is, I don’t really mind giving the guy a shot.  Perhaps Greg Halman, the presumed third call-up, has fallen out of the FO’s favor.

M’s Call Up Saunders, Liddi, and RHP Steve Delabar

by Taylor Halperin ~ September 5th, 2011 at 5:51 pm

delabar_steve.jpg
[Note: Nathan posted an awesome article that can be found by scrolling down to below this one.  Hi, Nathan!]

Two-third of this roster move was expected.  The remaining one-third, however, came out of nowhere.

CF Michael Saunders surfaced as an obvious choice when Gutierrez hurt his oblique, and 3B Alex Liddi earned his promotion on the strength of 29 home runs for the Rainiers this season.  Saunders has a decent chance to be an above-average major league center-fielder, and Liddi, while not quite as shiny a prospect, turned heads with an excellent offensive season in AAA and might potentially contribute to the M’s if he figures things out on defense.  Chone Figgins will apparently never get to play ever again ever.

As for Delabar, here is what I know about him: 
  1. He does not have a Wikipedia page.
  2. He is right-handed and 6’5″.
  3. He struck out 48 hitters in 43 innings in AA and AAA this year.
  4. He walked 32 hitters in 43 innings this year.
  5. The Mariners’ front office thinks he may be able to pitch well in the major leagues in the near future.
  6. His name, when spelled backward, is Rabaled Evets.
Delabar throws hard and sometimes throws well.  I didn’t see this coming, but considering how much of a crapshoot evaluating relief pitchers is, I don’t really mind giving the guy a shot.  Perhaps Greg Halman, the presumed third call-up, has fallen out of the FO’s favor.

Yeah, Saunders is my guy but he's hasn't gotten any better worse, He's gotta make something happen now heading into next spring. Interested in seeing this Liddi kid though

and  Fister is doing work for Detroit *sigh*

So we got

Wells
Saunders
Halman
Trayvon
Paguero
Wilson

all battling for what, two spots? sheesh, I like at least more then two of them (unless our outfielder situation changes with Guti and Ichiro)

Yeah, Saunders is my guy but he's hasn't gotten any better worse, He's gotta make something happen now heading into next spring. Interested in seeing this Liddi kid though

and  Fister is doing work for Detroit *sigh*

So we got

Wells
Saunders
Halman
Trayvon
Paguero
Wilson

all battling for what, two spots? sheesh, I like at least more then two of them (unless our outfielder situation changes with Guti and Ichiro)

Shamless Bump

To be the first at something is usually pretty cool
[h1][/h1]
[h1]Italian-born Alex Liddi makes Mariners debut[/h1]
Staying calm was the thing most on Alex Liddi's mind as he prepared to make baseball history. Liddi made his major-league debut on Wednesday...

By Geoff Baker

Seattle Times staff reporter

ANAHEIM, Calif. — Staying calm was the thing most on Alex Liddi's mind as he prepared to make baseball history.

Liddi made his major-league debut on Wednesday night, playing third base for the Mariners and batting second. He grounded out to second in his first at-bat, then went down swinging his second time up.

Before the game, Liddi, the first player born and raised in Italy to make the majors, talked of how excited he had been when he arrived at the clubhouse and saw his name in the lineup. He was asked how he thought he'd feel once the game began.

"Excited, probably," he said. "Nervous, a little. I've just got to be calm."

Mariners manager Eric Wedge said he'd planned to use Liddi in an upcoming series in Seattle against the Royals, but then decided to put him in sooner.

"I figured I'll just go ahead and get him in there and knock the first one out, get it out of the way," Wedge said of Liddi. "You just want to really enjoy your first day. Go out there and have fun."

Shamless Bump

To be the first at something is usually pretty cool
[h1][/h1]
[h1]Italian-born Alex Liddi makes Mariners debut[/h1]
Staying calm was the thing most on Alex Liddi's mind as he prepared to make baseball history. Liddi made his major-league debut on Wednesday...

By Geoff Baker

Seattle Times staff reporter

ANAHEIM, Calif. — Staying calm was the thing most on Alex Liddi's mind as he prepared to make baseball history.

Liddi made his major-league debut on Wednesday night, playing third base for the Mariners and batting second. He grounded out to second in his first at-bat, then went down swinging his second time up.

Before the game, Liddi, the first player born and raised in Italy to make the majors, talked of how excited he had been when he arrived at the clubhouse and saw his name in the lineup. He was asked how he thought he'd feel once the game began.

"Excited, probably," he said. "Nervous, a little. I've just got to be calm."

Mariners manager Eric Wedge said he'd planned to use Liddi in an upcoming series in Seattle against the Royals, but then decided to put him in sooner.

"I figured I'll just go ahead and get him in there and knock the first one out, get it out of the way," Wedge said of Liddi. "You just want to really enjoy your first day. Go out there and have fun."

I liked Saunders from the beginning and really wanted him to do well, but 
ohwell.gif
... it just didn't happen.  Last chance here...
Anyway...

x999.jpg

1000x.jpg

x999.jpg

I liked Saunders from the beginning and really wanted him to do well, but 
ohwell.gif
... it just didn't happen.  Last chance here...
Anyway...

x999.jpg

1000x.jpg

x999.jpg

Not sure if it was mentioned, but I forgot to post about Matt Tuiasosopo getting cut by the M's. It's a shame that couldn't work out in Seattle because it had potential to be a great story, but for whatever reason Matt just wasn't very good. Wish him the best of luck, and maybe a change of scenery helps.

Maybe he pulls a Drew Henson and auditions for the Hawks quarterback job. Then again, Henson Q'd in college.
laugh.gif

Not sure if it was mentioned, but I forgot to post about Matt Tuiasosopo getting cut by the M's. It's a shame that couldn't work out in Seattle because it had potential to be a great story, but for whatever reason Matt just wasn't very good. Wish him the best of luck, and maybe a change of scenery helps.

Maybe he pulls a Drew Henson and auditions for the Hawks quarterback job. Then again, Henson Q'd in college.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by 651akathePaul

laugh.gif
Should have been playing QB for the Dawgs
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by 651akathePaul

laugh.gif
Should have been playing QB for the Dawgs
30t6p3b.gif

frown.gif
at our current form. Leading the AL in SO's...
30t6p3b.gif

Then we had Ichi getting-caught to end the game... I'm sure this will only fuel the criticism on him...

frown.gif
at our current form. Leading the AL in SO's...
30t6p3b.gif

Then we had Ichi getting-caught to end the game... I'm sure this will only fuel the criticism on him...

I'm ready for next year already. Want to see some of these guys get a full year worth of swings and PT

I'm ready for next year already. Want to see some of these guys get a full year worth of swings and PT

Back
Top Bottom