The MMA Thread: DON'T ASK 4 STREAMS & NO GIFS- Cannonier, Imavov, Reyes, Rosas on NOW

The UFC president offered Diaz a bout against third-ranked Demian Maia after he turned down the Lawler rematch, but hasn’t heard back from the Stockton native.

“I just reached out to them and said, ‘what do you guys think about a fight against Demian Maia?’ And I haven’t heard back from them yet,” he said. “If Nick doesn’t take it, I’ll give it to Jorge Masvidal.”
I heard him say this on the unfiltered podcast. It doesn't make sense from the "money fight" standpoint the Diaz's are pursuing. Love Maia but he doesn't have a huge name in the casual segment.

:lol: dont know how yall are suprised

hes boring (like as a person) and fights a boring style... same treatment jacre going to get and khabib, etc

casual fans dont appreciate the dominance at what they do. knockouts sell fights, the potential for them is reduced by about 3/4 with some of these cats out there Maia being near the top of that list...

personally im 100% ok with it, Dana and the company out to entertain and get money. these grappling guys can go compete in other tournaments if they want fair and to prove theyre the best at that, but the UFC is doing what they do... and will always do.

I'm not really ok with it but I've always said no matter what the UFC can do what the f it pleases.. so it doesn't matter what we say or think

From a fans perspective how can you not want to see Maia though. Who cares if he can compete in grappling tournaments? Wtf .. I want to see how he'd do in mma not grappling.. Maia has a chance a good chance to be the best in mma not just grappling

Last edited:
Twisters are awesome to see. I think everyone is excited to see one.

I asked before but if we assume casual fans love people who mostly stand and trade bombs, is there a reason they'll stay watching mma instead of checking out kickboxing?

Connecting with people has to do more with the persona and personality

Look at Gsp and Ronda for instance. They were knocking people out left and right

Fighters were less technical back then

Kickboxing isn't as accessible as ufc

The fact that Robbie and Condit went to war for 5 rounds in one of the best fights of the year, and then Maia came out and cleanly choked Condit out in 2 minutes still makes me laugh :lol:

I like that variety, that's what the sport was about when it first started, finding out which martial art was the most powerful. And I tend to favor strikers in general but it's dope to see guys excel in grappling too, especially when they're finishers. I wish the ufc would stop penalizing guys like Jacare and Maia and Khabib for not being purely strikers because IMO they're grappling based guys that are still interesting.

And funny enough, post-Serra GSP, who they marketed and pushed to the moon, was boring as **** to me. Straight blanket and couldn't get finishes for ****. I'll take a Maia or Jacare or Khabib anyday over GSP. I would think anybody would to be honest.

Maia's striking has improved leaps and bounds since he joined the UFC.

But he only uses it to set up his BJJ cause he prefers not to hurt his opponents [emoji]128514[/emoji]

personally im 100% ok with it, Dana and the company out to entertain and get money. these grappling guys can go compete in other tournaments if they want fair and to prove theyre the best at that, but the UFC is doing what they do... and will always do.

I hear you and all. But I'd like to see the UFC to be considered a legitimate sport and not be just a passing fad, which is what it will become if we only promote 'money fights' or strikers. The sport is way to diverse for that. It's like watching basketball only to see dunks, or watching football only to see RBs run guys over. That's not going to be EVERYONE's skillset. If you want to watch striking only then just watch a K1 or a boxing match. Those pure striking arenas already exist.

The fact that Robbie and Condit went to war for 5 rounds in one of the best fights of the year, and then Maia came out and cleanly choked Condit out in 2 minutes still makes me laugh :lol:

I like that variety, that's what the sport was about when it first started, finding out which martial art was the most powerful. And I tend to favor strikers in general but it's dope to see guys excel in grappling too, especially when they're finishers. I wish the ufc would stop penalizing guys like Jacare and Maia and Khabib for not being purely strikers because IMO they're grappling based guys that are still interesting.

And funny enough, post-Serra GSP, who they marketed and pushed to the moon, was boring as **** to me. Straight blanket and couldn't get finishes for ****. I'll take a Maia or Jacare or Khabib anyday over GSP. I would think anybody would to be honest.

Agreed 100%. It's not like those guys using the Lay & Prey style of grappling like Askren. Although it's impressive in it's own right, that I find to be truly boring.

Last edited:
It does really suck for someone like maia. A fighter works hard and keeps winning but that doesn't mean you'll get closer to the title or more money. You beat top guys but it doesn't advance you.

They should minimize the match making aspect of UFC, make it more formulaic so fighters don't *****

The UFC president offered Diaz a bout against third-ranked Demian Maia after he turned down the Lawler rematch, but hasn’t heard back from the Stockton native.

“I just reached out to them and said, ‘what do you guys think about a fight against Demian Maia?’ And I haven’t heard back from them yet,” he said. “If Nick doesn’t take it, I’ll give it to Jorge Masvidal.”

I heard him say this on the unfiltered podcast. It doesn't make sense from the "money fight" standpoint the Diaz's are pursuing. Love Maia but he doesn't have a huge name in the casual segment.

Who the **** is Nick planning to fight then?

Dude hasn't won in ages. Can't fight for a title.

Is Jorge a "money" fight now? If so, get it done.

LOL please no GSP-Diaz II. First fight was a snoozefest and I think GSP would do the same thing to him again. 

At this point who knows when Nick will fight again, him against Cowboy, Lawler, Condit or Woodley would be great but he's turning everyone down. Wonder if there's any chance he fights at MW again.

Last edited:
There isn't anyone in WW for him to fight to draw cash. Really the only dude who everyone keeps chirping for is McGregor.

WME needs to start building their stars e.g. Woodley, Nunes, Ferguson, Stipe, etc. There are "it" guys and then there are guys whose bells ring only in the octagon because they're busy working in their camps and not trying to be Chael or Connor.

Lawler/maia makes sense while woodley rematches wonderboy. Dumb to wait around if u ask me, winner could get injured or a bigger money fight might come to by then

Could end up waiting for 8-10 months easily

Lawyer/Maia is a good matchup.

Everything seems up in the Air with the big cards thanks to GSP and Diaz Brothers return, JBJ and Cyborg suspension, Rousey retirement.

Its very possible nick never fights again....

like someone said earlier he making so much loot of appearances and BJJ seminars right now he dont NEED to fight

he might just wait for the dust to settle at WW between woodley x thompson x maia

I can see him possibly taking a rematch against spider too, thats a good fight still.

The first fight was pretty close, nick was putting hands all over anderson but that scar tissue above his eyes be opening up so easy he be looking so busted after fights.

Masvidal might be a coo fight for Nick, I have heard him give proprs to masvidal in the past so I would think he considers him a worthy opponent.

+ Jorge BEEN in the game for a while, they could market the fight hella ways....it would sell, probably headline a card

ufc matchmaking is weird... KZ returning from a 3 year layoff and he gets bermudez? damn let a ***** ease back into the swing of things.

Back
Top Bottom