The MMA Thread: DON'T ASK 4 STREAMS & NO GIFS- Cannonier, Imavov, Reyes, Rosas on NOW

Let's be real. We know how Uncle Dana works after the multiple title fights Chael Sonnen received and his working toward a Carano/Rousey title fight.

And to be honest, the best FW not named Aldo all have good wrestling and solid striking. There's a gang of fighters in FW, LW and WW that would starch him with their wrestling, BJJ or striking.

How about giving him Clay Guida? He's obviously declined but at least would be a solid matchup. Conner put out Diego Sanchez.
Which title fights did Chael not deserve outside of Jones?

Which title fights did Chael not deserve outside of Jones?

Just the Jones. But he managed to sneak into that position twice. The first when UFC cancelled the PPV when JBJ wouldn't approve a replacement opponent after Dan Henderson got injured. Then they threw him on the Ultimate Fighter when they had more legitimate contenders.

And he deserved the MW title fights. Some might feel he did not have a legitimate claim to the second title fight since he lost to Silva the first time then had like 1 win.

Maynard/Bendo 2 followed a draw so it made sense.

I really don't agree Gustafson getting a title rematch after winning one match after his loss to JBJ.

But these are my opinions obviously. To me UFC has random formulas for determining title fights. Like Mighty Mouse's last opponent.

Last edited:
Just the Jones. But he managed to sneak into that position twice. The first when UFC cancelled the PPV when JBJ wouldn't approve a replacement opponent after Dan Henderson got injured. Then they threw him on the Ultimate Fighter when they had more legitimate contenders.

And he deserved the MW title fights. Some might feel he did not have a legitimate claim to the second title fight since he lost to Silva the first time then had like 1 win.

Maynard/Bendo 2 followed a draw so it made sense.

I really don't agree Gustafson getting a title rematch after winning one match after his loss to JBJ.

But these are my opinions obviously. To me UFC has random formulas for determining title fights. Like Mighty Mouse's last opponent.
Thank you for the well thought out post

I agree with you in a sense that the UFC has a random formula for determining fights, but I won't for one second say that they don't do a pretty good job of making fights we all want to see.

They use a bit of common sense, rankings and the biggest factor: $$$$$ it's a business, combat sports have no exact science to them in terms of matchmaking unless you set it up tournament style and we see how fruitless that can be with Bellator.

Of course there will be hiccups, for instance I absolutely hate what they do with TUF and keep fighters hostage (Pettis and Melendez). I hate how Chael got that title shot against Jones. For the most part though, they put on fights for the fans.

Last edited:
Hmm...I wouldn't have been mad if they called that. But Aldo probably had a 48-49 depending on how you look at it. The most I'd give Mendes would be a 47.

He would've won if he pressed the fight more. Everyone knows about Aldo's conditioning thanks to his weight cut. He also wasn't throwing many leg kicks. And Mendes could've tried to take him down more for the GSP/Mr Wonderful/McDonald/Evans point fighting.

He had some success being aggressive but every time Chad pressed he got rocked or put on his ***. Aldo just a half step ahead the whole fight.

I think the conditioning thing wasn't an issue for Aldo in this fight either. He was beat up but still looked dangerous right to the last bell.

Was finally able to watch the ppv, and I think it was 49-46 for Aldo. The only round I gave to Mendes was round 4. It looked like they tried to make Mendes a clone of Cruz/Dillashaw. But he doesn't have the footwork or head movement. 

Phil Davis needs to sit down with the Silva call out. Before the fight he was talking about trying to get back in title contention and now he's calling out a 185er. He needs to get over the Brazilian Killer moniker and maybe focus on the Blackzilians in his own division cause both Rashad and Rumble handled him and gave him his losses.

Speaking of Silva, he said he just signed a new deal with UFC for 15 fights. I don't get why older fighters sign these long term contracts cause it never works out for them. Silva is the type of guy that when he retires from UFC, he's gonna want to do boxing or something. UFC isn't gonna allow him to do that. Plus he said he's no longer with Nike and close to signing a deal with Adidas. So Jon Jones didn't lose his Nike deal over the DC brawl. He lost it cause Nike doesn't wanna deal with UFC anymore. Silva, Jones, and JDS all lost their Nike contract.

Cub said UFC "assured" him the next title shot against Aldo if he wins against Frankie. Pretty sure Frankie was given the same assurance but as long as McGregor wins, they won't be getting that title shot.

I agree that calling out Anderson was a terrible move from Phil.

He had a dominant win over a guy who's last fight was a title shot.

Rumble's out of the picture for the moment so he should have went after Rashad or Alex for number 1 contender.

Nike only had 3 fighters. Silva and Jones are definitely gone from Nike. Some ppl were saying JDS got dropped by Nike after his last loss to Cain. Even if he's still with Nike at the moment its only a matter of time before they let his contract expire. Nike won't pay the sponsor tax so UFC won't allow fighters to wear the logo during fights. Plus except from when they're promoting an upcoming fight we don't see a lot of mainstream coverage of MMA fighters except for maybe Rousey. So there's not much for Nike to gain from continually sponsoring these guys.

Last edited:
how much is the sponsor tax if nike doesn't want to pay for it?
The tax is on a sliding scale so we don't know how much UFC really wants Nike to pay. The tax starts at $50K. In the past, UFC waived it for some of the smaller/lesser known companies. But the maximum isn't really known. Some say its $100K, $250K, and others say there's really no max that UFC can charge. So you'd have to assume that with Nike being such a big and popular company, UFC probably tried to charge them the max amount, whatever it is.

Manuwa out v Shogun, OSP in

Benson v Alvarez announced for 1/18/15 (same card as McGregor v Siver)

Cowboy v Jury announced for for UFC 182 (same card as Jones v Cormier)

Anderson Silva and Shogun will coach the new TUF, they won't fight though

Diego is itching to fight Conor at some point

Conner and Diego have been going back and forth for the last year. I think that's a fight Conner can win. But Aldo, Mendes, Swanson and Edgar fight might be too one sided.

That Shogun/Silva TUF seems like a way for them to grab ratings in Brazil.

Silva is going that Bob Sapp route. Not saying that he's gonna start throwing fights like Sapp but at this point in his career he's gonna try to make as much money as he can. After Diaz, I see Silva aiming for GSP, Bisping, possibly Rashad, maybe Hendo again, and hanging around for a 3rd Sonnen fight. Right now a Jones fight isn't attainable but if he won a few fights he'll be aiming for the Jones fight too.

That Benson/Alvarez fight is gonna be interesting. Both fighters are gonna be gunning for a win cause they're coming off losses and neither can really afford to lose 2 in a row. Benson wants to move up to 170 lbs after 1 last fight at 155 so he's gonna try to get a win and see if it can springboard him into title contention at 170. And idk if Alvarez can comeback from 2 straight losses. A lot of hardcore UFC is God fans already see him as overrated cause he was in Bellator. 

Last edited:
I think a majority of people thought he lost the rematch with Chandler. Going in to the 5th round everyone on Twitter, all my friends, and even the mma sites giving round by round updates were saying Eddie was down 3-1 and needed a stoppage to win. But after Dana sent out that tweet congratulating Eddie on the win and making fun of Rebney, everyone's opinion suddenly changed and Eddie was the clear cut winner and all of the talk was about Rebney's reaction.

January- Jones vs Cormier and Spider vs Nick Diaz then February- Weidman vs Belfort.

Strong start for 2015 if you ask me. I hope the injury bug doesn't spillover to 2015.

Bisping/Rockhold is on ******* FightPass?

Come on.
if Bisping wins, can he get a title shot already? Probably the most underrated guy in his division. That being said, I think he's going to get his *** whooped. Bisping came up with guys like Kendal frickin Grove and Matt Serra and others that have faded into obscurity and he's still fighting everyone the UFC puts in front of him. Gotta respect that.

Back
Top Bottom