Tips for being succesful in Physics, college level...

To all my science/medical field NT'ers, what should I expect from physics?  Is it more formulas than Chemistry?  More math involved?  Please share, thanks bretheren!

ive never taken a physics course in university but ive done many stats/calculus courses. DO THE WEEKLY PROBLEM SETS EVERY WEEK. do not pile them up right before the tests/exams.

It is more math involved than chem forsure and make sure you are comfortable with all the formulas because you may have to combine different formulas to solve one problem, i hate physics...

See I've never done math past College Algebra, which is what makes me cautious about this class.  Tutors must be on deck.

Math +conceptual thinking and application.

Study it like a biology class, practice it like a math class.

Taking it right now.

Calculus is mad easy though. Physics is easy too. I thought it was easier than chemistry. Just read your book and do the practice problems/homework and you'll be good.

cheating.gif

Most of the formulas derive from a set few they give you in the beginning of the chapters. So if you really understand those going on throughout the chapter will be easier

My physics teacher always went on about its best to actually understand whats going on instead of just memorizing when it comes to physics.
You can try to memorize formulas and all that and I'm sure some of the you most definitely will be required to, but if you really grasp the stuff being taught you can derive your own formulas or alter existing ones to work out problems if youre in a pinch.

Originally Posted by Wilroc

My physics teacher always went on about its best to actually understand whats going on instead of just memorizing when it comes to physics.
You can try to memorize formulas and all that and I'm sure some of the you most definitely will be required to, but if you really grasp the stuff being taught you can derive your own formulas or alter existing ones to work out problems if youre in a pinch.
i think ur avy is the cover of my physics txtbook...

Difficulty will vary throughout science courses like physics and chemistry. The course will start very easy, but certain concepts will take longer for you to understand in comparison to others later on in the course.

What has worked best for me is to get ahead of the class by a week and then just do your best to maintain that all semester.

edit: http://www.khanacademy.org/#physics
^Use these videos to supplement your class lectures.  Very helpful.

math and concepts. a lot of formulas but you'll probably have a formula sheet to use on tests

It really depends on your professor. In physics 1, I had possibly the worst professor ever. dude was smart as hell, but he was an awful teacher. Luckily he curved everything, so even though I earned a 55 average, it was one of the best in the class, so I still got an A. Physics II was much easier. Got an A without the curve
pimp.gif

But as far as conceptually, lots and lots and lots of formulas. Hopefully you won't have a +@#$#$ professor like mine, and you'll get a formula sheet on your tests. Be sure to pay extra attention at the start of each unit, since that's where most of the formulas in the later chapters in that unit are derived from

Back
Top Bottom