USPS shipping status: "In Customs" = bad news?

item shipped from USA to me via USPS Priority Mail International.

and the current status is:

""Status: Into Foreign Customs (Canada)

Your item is being processed by customs in CANADA. Information, if available, is updated every evening. Please check again later.""

is that bad news? does that mean my package will get taxed? i hate Canada Customs very much...
frown.gif

It depends....mostly on how long they keep the package for inspection. From my past experience (and lord knows I've had just about every single varietyout there as many fellow Canadian NTers can attest to over the years), it's normal for Canadian Customs to keep your package for anywhere between 1-3business days (in most cases 1-2 business days). If they choose to hold the package for longer than 3-5 business days then you might be looking at taxes(sometimes excessive) and it's time to figure out a strategy to fight the charges by "readying" a proof of the purchase if you choose to do so.

Also, what is considered as "normal" length is a function of the shipping method; If you're shipping from the U.S. then I recommend nothing butUSPS and nothing less than USPS Priority Mail International. Sometimes my package will get shipped via USPS Express Mail by default, which is obviously moreexpensive but it's really a blessing in disguise. I have yet to have my package held for more than a business day if it's shipped via Express Mail (soI'm assuming delivery time is somewhat of a factor here).

Hope this helps somewhat. Good luck and count me in as a member of the CBSA hate club

P.S. Just in case if the item in question is apparel (or anything for that matter); I'm starting to see a fair % of JB apparel being made in Mexico nowand by virtue of NAFTA, Canada should NOT be taxing items that are made in Mexico or USA and you can use that as a legit defense.

Shouldn't be too much of a hit from CBSA unless the person shipping it to you stated the true value - which I think if it is over $20 CBSA takes a closerlook but it could have been a random pull off the line or something in the description of the goods caught an agent's eye...

In any case keep checking back & to add to juschiang's info I myserlf have been only bitten hard once (knock on wood) for heavy Customs duties.... aslong as you can get the shipper to declare it as a gift whenever possible it helps to clear the item of any scrutiny most of the time.

Good luck. If they are shoes most of the time they come in without any charges (at least in my experience)

Originally Posted by juschiang

P.S. Just in case if the item in question is apparel (or anything for that matter); I'm starting to see a fair % of JB apparel being made in Mexico now and by virtue of NAFTA, Canada should NOT be taxing items that are made in Mexico or USA and you can use that as a legit defense.
This really legit?

^^^ Yup, McRaptor, I had an actual discussion with a CBSA agent over this and she actually agreed with me and gave me full refund on customscharged on an item made in Mexico.

Also, to anticop23 (or anyone for that matter), if you do fight the customs charges and by any chance a CBSA agent calls you up, sometimesthey will play phone tag with you (I suspect it's one of their standard "tactics"). Make sure you track him/her down but if not, then anyone youcan get a hold of will do as long as you're prepared to dispute your case with solid proof/material.

thanks for the info guys!

the package arrived and fortunately did not get hit with taxes.

the seller marked as Gift and undervalued it.

bought some OEM car parts from dealership from the States.

thanks again.

im glad i live near the border and dont have to deal with international shipping, i know the majority of the customs officers now too so i get waved throughlots of the time.

its all good... just make sure whoever ships to you marks it as used or a gift. Never claim the actual amount or else they might tax it.. it's never thatmuch unles you get shipped from overseas

i think it also depends on the value of it like if ur sending a 500 dollar prada bag or shoes they will tax the crap out of u cause they know u have money

damn i just odered 5 pairs of shoes and my shoes at the customs... hope they dont charge me too much tax and duties.... i asked seller to mark them down tolike under $100 and mark them as gifts but im not sure if it'll work or not since there are 5 pairs...
btw ist this thread a little old? lol

^^^^^

Don't wanna get charged to much then best bet is to get them shipped out individually and marled "as gifts"

not sure if this is a 'factor'... but i have recently has two packages from the States and both shipped with USPS Priority Mail and Express mail.

Customs might not want to 'delay' so.. they just let the package go.

Back
Top Bottom