Vaporfly 4% - Heel sole disintegrating after 25 miles?

IMG_0490.JPG
Was thrilled to get a pair of this year’s 4% earlier in October. I’ve done 3 training runs totaling 25 miles in these shoes, and was planning to use them for MCM next Sunday.

Noticed today after the third wear that the sole rubber is sort of disintegrating. Worse on the outside part of heel. Attached picture shows where the rubber is missing altogether and foam popping through. But lot of wear on the entire under-heel part of shoe.

Part of my running takes place on a firm unpaved bike path, and wondering if I should not have done that. Before seeing this damage, it never crossed my mind before that the surface was too “rough”. It’s not trail running, I’m able to do 5k pace intervals on the surface and if anything, I think of it as more track-like than pavement.

Has anyone else experienced this wear?

Should I try to return?

Is it risky to wear these in a marathon given the foam already peeking through?

Hmm.. can't figure out how to attach picture. There isn't an "Upload a file" button in lower right where the instructions say one should be... am I missing something?

I experience the heal foam wearing down really fast but the rubber around it didn't. Didn't look great but performance wasn't impacted. I just kept going and I'm at around 150 miles now.

Back
Top Bottom