Ways to run faster?

I'm currently a rugby player (prop/lock/flanker, if anyone was wondering) and since school has ended I've been doing some training and losing weight, which was exactly what I wanted to accomplish over the summer.

However, I figured I'd also try to increase my running speed.

I was wondering if anyone can recommend a few exercises/drills I could do to increase my speed.

thanks in advance

Plyos....also look into working with a ladder to build your fast-twitch muscle fibers...a good mix of long/short sprints...etc etc.

You are ultimately only going to maximize your speed in relation to your genetic makeup....In other words a guy who is slow as influenced by his genetic makeup can only become faster within the threshold of his ability.

With that being said, plyometrics, intervals, anaerobic and aerobic exercise will do you well. Make sure you are supplying your body with enough carbs in order to store glycogen in order to prevent a catabolic state.

Double Post...might as well make use of it.

EWD Spitting that GOAT Knowledge
laugh.gif
smokin.gif

How you think I was able to be a shutdown FF cornerback at 6'6 245 lbs?
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Make sure your running form is proper by running with your arms, that's where a parachute or sled can greatly help you. Form is key in getting faster.
I would look up track workouts online that include 100, 200, 400 meter sprints at a set pace. Jog off the soreness day after your workout.
Plyometrics workouts (speed ladder, 6 inch box), squats, and power-cleans are all good workouts for your type of training.
Along with seeing your speed improve so should your quickness and vertical jump
wink.gif

Good luck fam.

^Flexibility is huge.

Also doing more leg exercises in the weight room will help. I've been doing more leg exercises than ever recently and I've noticed more spring and stamina when running.

Originally Posted by ElderWatsonDiggs

Double Post...might as well make use of it.

EWD Spitting that GOAT Knowledge
laugh.gif
smokin.gif

How you think I was able to be a shutdown FF cornerback at 6'6 245 lbs?
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

roll.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Anyway,  are there any particular carbs you recommend?   So far I've been eating wheat bread and brown rice with protein ..  and this is about an hour after my workouts.  

Eat at one of them Halal Chicken and Rice carts... I guarantee they will make you run madd fast like Usain Bolt...to the toilet

Run up hills. find a steep grassy hill and sprint all the way to the top and walk back down. repeat until you can't reach the top and call it a day.

Squatting and deadlifting with proper form and weight loss has helped me.  You really gotta do it with proper form though. 

I've been squatting and deadlifting for years with only partial benefit to my legs.  Didn't realize I was doing it wrong until I bought Mark Rippetoe's book.  He explains the squat and deadlift better than any person I've ever talked to, any book I've ever read, any youtube video I've watched. 

Now I'm quicker than I've ever been in my life lol.  I don't even do any running except on the basketball court. 

Also you might be able to benefit from watching youtube vids on how to run with better form, if you have a problem with your form. 

form----> mechanism, arms, ankle flexion, etc form plays a huge factor in speed and agility
along with flexibility and core strength.

Back
Top Bottom