Whats with all the No Hitters and Perfect Games in 2010?

Not just actually achieving these feats, but there have been a TON of near misses this year too.  What gives?
(I wanted to make this thread prior to Halladay's PG, but now, its getting even MORE ridiculous)

Gary Cohen and Ron Darling talked about this in last nights Mets game. They mentioned that at this point in the season scoring is down back to 1992 levels which they said was the start of the "Steroid Era".

Hmmmmmmmmmmm......

Sports Illustrated has an  article on it. But I don't read the articles.

j/k

They say managers are putting a bigger emphasis on pitchers and good defense over hitters. Also, the increase in PED testing

now that they aggressively test for PEDs, the truth comes out..... most MLB hitters suck

Originally Posted by Kiddin Like Jason

The oil spill further enhancing climate change.

Gotta be something.  I refuse to believe the pitching is better this year than last.

End of the steroid era, time for pitchers to have the advantage once again.

I only know of 2 perfect games this year.
there was almost one tonight though
roll.gif

The thing is though, hasnt the steroid era been over for a couple of years now?

1. Anybody who thinks the steroid era is over needs to have their brains checked. Don't be naive.
2. Anybody who puts stock into the statistical ebbs and flow of baseballs 100+ year history needs to also have themselves examined.

A more reasonable explanation is with the advancement of defensive statistics in the last couple of years, and the emphasis being placed on it lately, teams have gotten better at preventing runs.

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

1. Anybody who thinks the steroid era is over needs to have their brains checked. Don't be naive.
2. Anybody who puts stock into the statistical ebbs and flow of baseballs 100+ year history needs to also have themselves examined.

A more reasonable explanation is with the advancement of defensive statistics in the last couple of years, and the emphasis being placed on it lately, teams have gotten better at preventing runs.

Blahblah blah blah blahhhh.

Originally Posted by Durden7

i've just got to know how advancements in defensive STATISTICS have influenced an increase in dominant pitching performances.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Durden7

laugh.gif

It's pretty simple, teams have gotten more reliable tools for measuring good defenders, the current fad amongst GM's trying to find undervalued assets right now is defense. EI:Boston Redsox's singing Mike Cameron, Scutaro, and Beltre, or the Mariners pretty much focusing exclusively on that.

Better defense = less hits.

Or you be naive and moronically buy into this whole steroid era being over like pitchers weren't on them and players STILL aren't on them.

NT is the only place where so called baseball fans can be so unaware about how modern baseball teams are run.

Guys who get perfect ussually aren't dominating strike ourt pitchers, they are pitcher who have excelent control and generate a lot of ground balls basically relying on the defense, more sure handed defenses, pitchers like Halladay, Burnell thrive.

i've just got to know how advancements in defensive STATISTICS have influenced an increase in dominant pitching performances.
laugh.gif

eek.gif
, really?

There are some young pitchers that are beginning to flourish (Ubaldo), and since the pitching ranks are thin, teams are emphasizing defense in order to compensate.

It's pretty simple, teams have gotten more reliable tools for measuring good defenders, the current fad amongst GM's trying to find undervalued assets right now is defense. EI:Boston Redsox's singing Mike Cameron, Scutaro, and Beltre, or the Mariners pretty much focusing exclusively on that.

Better defense = less hits.

Or you be naive and moronically buy into this whole steroid era being over like pitchers weren't on them and players STILL aren't on them.

NT is the only place where so called baseball fans can be so unaware about how modern baseball teams are run.

Guys who get perfect ussually aren't dominating strike ourt pitchers, they are pitcher who have excelent control and generate a lot of ground balls basically relying on the defense, more sure handed defenses, pitchers like Halladay, Burnell thrive.

i don't care if you're striking guys out or not, a no no is a display of dominance imo. i see what you're saying about defensive stats though, and i haven't fallowed baseball in almost a decade, i'm not a good representation of baseball fans on NT.

Back
Top Bottom