Which were your first pair of Js?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny story about the black metallic V's tho. I was really drunk one night and woke up bare foot in jail. (I'm not violent or weird or anything, it was just for being too drunk and annoying in public) but anyway, I wake up bare foot in jail and when they released me, since I didnt have shoes, they gave me a pretty much brand new pair of Black metallic V's. It pretty much got me back into Jordans, and I've been wearing and buying them since.

A brand new pair ... That's what's up... In a sense.... Not good that u had to be detained but good that you got a fresh pair of Js

Ha yeah, I was shell shocked. My size and everything. I wonder what shoes they gave to the guy who owned them. I bet he was pretty bummed to say the least.

I'm an old man so I had a pair of the OG Is (red, white, black) in 1985. The Jordan shoes caused a big sensation that year. It was the shoe that really took Nike to the top. Before then, basketball shoe market was split pretty evenly among Adidas, Puma, Nike, and Converse and it didn't seem very competitive.

IIRC there was controversy over MJ wearing the Is because of a uniform issue and the NBA fined him for wearing them during games. He also wasn't allowed to wear his Bull's uniform in the ads, so when you went into a shoe store that year there were large cutouts of him wearing the shoes, but with generic red and black clothing. That controversy, plus the design of the shoes, and MJ's splashy debut as a player, all seemed to combine to make the Jordans the big shoe event of the year.

After that, though, it was years before I bought another pair. Didn't really even know that they started making IIs, IIIs, IVs, etc. Missed out on all of those. Two things sparked my renewed interest: The original retros of the Is in around early 1995, and then the introduction of the XIs in late 1995. The patent XIs, both the bred and the white/black, caused a big sensation, they sold out instantly and I missed out on a pair but I decided to start buying Jordans (was 31 at the time).

So from Fall 96 - Fall 98, I bought several OG pairs of 12s and 13s (red/black and white/black 12s, white/black and white/blue 13s, and chutney 13s). I have never bought any more OGs, but beginning in spring 99 I began buying the retros as they came out.

Last edited:
sick.gif
 *looks at 02 join date* damn son

Powder blue 10s. Sat out in negative 15 for them, still drunk from the night before.

Strong first post

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom