Who remembers when Nike retro's didn't have an actual release date?

I was just thinking about this randomly. DO you guys remember when you look in a magazine and you see a picture of a shoe with just the month, first day, and the year when the shoe actually comes out? Example, when the Nike Air Max2 CB 94 retro-ed in 2003, it only had the month and the 1st, but no exact release date. It was like back then, you just had to go up to the store and see the shoe on display out of surprise. I actually like that method better then the current method of releasing retro Nike's. I think the old way actually gives everyone an opportunity that actually wants the shoe to actually get them without any stupid hassles we got to go through now. What do you guys think?

I feel what you're saying. Back when I bought SBs heavy you had to call the skate shop during release week or month. Gives the game an element of surprise. I'm sure mall security wouldn't mind sleeping a little later than 4-5 am on fridays and saturdays

^^ Yeah, they should really start doing that again, seriously..

^^ Yeah, they should really start doing that again, seriously..

From Nike's perspective, why would it make sense to revert to this model?

Pleasing you is not a priority of the company, nor should it be.

With what they do now, they are essentially able to manufacture insane demand with a minimal advertising budget. So what exactly would their impetus be to go back to pre-internet era marketing/release strategy.

Plus, who the hell has time to stroll around to stores to check if something came out over and over.? ...The stores might like it because it would generate more foot traffic, but it's totally inefficient.

I remember when the black/charcoal/red flightposite 1's were put out on like a wednesday. No release date, they sorta just showed up in all the stores in the city on the same day — quickstrike style. I remember getting to footaction too late and missed my size. Had to book it downtown to footlocker and lucked out with a pair.

Simpler times. You couldn't plan for something like that. It was the thrill of the hunt versus setting up your twitter bots and hacking the mainframe or whatever the kids do nowadays.

I remember when the black/charcoal/red flightposite 1's were put out on like a wednesday. No release date, they sorta just showed up in all the stores in the city on the same day — quickstrike style. I remember getting to footaction too late and missed my size. Had to book it downtown to footlocker and lucked out with a pair.

Simpler times. You couldn't plan for something like that. It was the thrill of the hunt versus setting up your twitter bots and hacking the mainframe or whatever the kids do nowadays.
I had those shoes back then.. Those sat on the shelves for a long time, but you see what I'm saying though..

Ahh the memories. I remember my pops was cool with a manager and I ended up getting those posites a month early to ball in. I was in HS so I thought I was DOING it :lol: I definitely feel ya on the thrill of the hunt

Ahh the memories. I remember my pops was cool with a manager and I ended up getting those posites a month early to ball in. I was in HS so I thought I was DOING it :lol: I definitely feel ya on the thrill of the hunt

But, if you are old enough to remember that era, then that would mean you are grown now, right?

Who has time to run around from shop to shop for an item that MIGHT have been released?

I don't like what online releases have come to either, but that's a reflection of the state of the overall hobby.

Just reminiscing about how fun it was. I never used the internet back then. Just saw a shoe I wanted, used a phone book to call around if a store didn't have it, and drove wherever I had too. That was the thrill of it. From online footlocker launch locations to UK websites/international I have a lot more options I can go through within a matter of seconds so I'm not complaining at all about the release dates themselves. Everything I've wanted I've gotten with hardly any hassle.

But, if you are old enough to remember that era, then that would mean you are grown now, right?

Who has time to run around from shop to shop for an item that MIGHT have been released?

I don't like what online releases have come to either, but that's a reflection of the state of the overall hobby.
I had responsibilities then just as I do now, so I don't know what difference being older makes. If something I wanted dropped this way tomorrow, I'd make it happen on a lunch break.

I was just thinking about this randomly. DO you guys remember when you look in a magazine and you see a picture of a shoe with just the month, first day, and the year when the shoe actually comes out? Example, when the Nike Air Max2 CB 94 retro-ed in 2003, it only had the month and the 1st, but no exact release date. It was like back then, you just had to go up to the store and see the shoe on display out of surprise. I actually like that method better then the current method of releasing retro Nike's. I think the old way actually gives everyone an opportunity that actually wants the shoe to actually get them without any stupid hassles we got to go through now. What do you guys think?
this is actually incorrect, da release date for those were da same day as da 2003 bugs bunnies jordan VIII's

yup, 

couldn't agree more. 

this is actually incorrect, da release date for those were da same day as da 2003 bugs bunnies jordan VIII's
I know they were close, but I don't think they were the same day. I remember getting the 8's and not wearing them for a week or 2. Went back to Finish Line, saw the Barkleys, returned the 8s, took the extra cash & a voucher I had & got the 8s from nike.com for the low. Those days are long gone.

I know they were close, but I don't think they were the same day. I remember getting the 8's and not wearing them for a week or 2. Went back to Finish Line, saw the Barkleys, returned the 8s, took the extra cash & a voucher I had & got the 8s from nike.com for the low. Those days are long gone.
it was da same day b, trust me. i remember it like was yesterday because i RAN from da bugs bunny release all da way downtown to

training camp shoe store (RIP) to pick em up in my size that were being held. that monday while everyone had da jordans i was rocking

da chucks and cats were SALTY
laugh.gif

I know they were close, but I don't think they were the same day. I remember getting the 8's and not wearing them for a week or 2. Went back to Finish Line, saw the Barkleys, returned the 8s, took the extra cash

it was da same day b, trust me. i remember it like was yesterday because i RAN from da bugs bunny release all da way downtown to

training camp shoe store (RIP) to pick em up in my size that were being held. that monday while everyone had da jordans i was rocking

da chucks and cats were SALTY :lol:

Lol damn. I was in a small college town at the time. Whether they sat or showed up late, Im glad I was able to end up with both.

I remember back in 3rd grade (2001) I use to go to this local mom/pops shop with my parents and my dad would ask the owner what new Jordans/Nike basketball shoes were releasing and the owner use to pull out this big book full of release dates. My dad and I always arrived right when the shop opened and copped our pairs. Man, enjoy the good times you have guys! :smokin

I must be old when 10 yrs ago, that was considered "the good old days." But I digress, and I get your point OP. But I'm also from the era where not only did you have to check out what Mike, Charles, Penny, etc.... were wearing on Sunday on NBC or college games on Saturday, THEN go down to the store and see if they had them, but we didn't have LS's, QS's, and so on. Everything was a general release There were no special make ups for X-Mas, Easter, BHM's, St Patty's Day, Cinco De Mayo, Grounddhog Day(not really but you get the point), etc...Granted a few sneakers didn't release, but we were content( if the dough was right) wearing the same joints our favorite players wore on court. But, we also used them for school and playin ball. If my old man saw me hoarding shoes after he spent some hard earned money on them, a beatdown was in order. Retros do one of three things: 1) They bring some of us back to an enjoyable time in our life. 2) They introduce younger consumers to an older model, some of the time with more boisterous colors. 3) And the most damaging depending on how you look at it, the resale market......Times have changed. I don't have to wait a full year, year and a half, for a movie to come to TV (VHS back then, again if you were lucky) anymore. WITH all that said, a release date has helped me many of times, albeit for most sneakers folks wouldn't line up for, but at least I knew where I could go when I had free time and discretionary funds. It has helped also in the sense that I know what mall not to be at when I take my daughter to Build-A-Bear and avoid a lot of the nonsense.

All in all it is what it is. We may not agree with everything, but unless Phil Knight holds an apprentice TV show, things will only continue to evolve.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom