Why is there a seatbelt law?

lmao money making ploy by the gov.

jesus i can tell your all teenagers.

next thread yo NT my mom dided cuz she aint wear her seatbelt. eff you based god

My brother was killed in a car accident, on August 4th, 2010.

He was a passenger in the car & sleep at the time, so he had no time to react.

He was ejected from the van, when it lost control, flipped twice, & hit a guardrail...going 70mph.

Had no time to react & went into cardiac arrest & died.

I ALWAYS told him to wear his seatbelt & when he'd ride with me, just to prove a point, I'd slam on my brakes coming out of our street. He'd always get mad & say "What the hell was that for, do you want me to go out the windshield?" I always told him "No, that's why you need to put on your seatbelt."

He's dead now...& there's no way I can bring him back. Wear your seatbelts...

The accidents where you're not able to get out (car catching on fire...) are less than 1% of all automobile accidents. So, all that "What if my car catches on fire..." stuff more than likely won't happen.

Buckle up...ALL THE TIME.

He was ejected from the van, when it lost control, flipped twice, & hit a guardrail...going 70mph.

I ALWAYS told him to wear his seatbelt & when he'd ride with me, just to prove a point, I'd slam on my brakes coming out of our street. He'd always get mad & say "What the hell was that for, do you want me to go out the windshield?" I always told him "No, that's why you need to put on your seatbelt."

The accidents where you're not able to get out (car catching on fire...) are less than 1% of all automobile accidents. So, all that "What if my car catches on fire..." stuff more than likely won't happen.

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

First off, I never even mentioned texting. Second, I don't like the government making laws that are misguided. Talking on a cell phone while driving isn't any more dangerous than driving a minivan with six screaming kids in it. It's called a distraction, and it's impossible to police them all.

There are a bunch of other things governments could do to increase safety (like reminding people to inflate their tires). Thousands of accidents and blowouts would be prevented by that simple message, not to mention better gas mileage. But not a word about it. It's all Click it or Ticket and stop talking on the cell phone. Whether you agree with the laws or not, they are two laws that don't deter the behavior, and in one case (cell phones), completely misses the real problem.

Since when is simply telling people what to do a deterrent from engaging in risky behavior?

How the hell does the seatbelt law not deter the behavior? 2 out of 3 times i'm in a car people tell me to put the seat belt on because they don't want to deal with the cops and I do the same. Someone on the previous page already said he learned his lesson from getting a few tickets...so tell me how exactly is this not a deterrent?

There are somethings that are out of the govt control, they can't control who is in the car distracting you but they can control the distraction of cell phone use.

I drive in Jersey and the cell phone laws are definitely a deterrent because the cops actively look for it. The fact that you completely ignore the law doesn't mean other people do.
I always wear my seat belt, and I never talk on the phone in the car unless I have my headset, so don't assume I'm some crazy scofflaw.

All I am saying is that talking on a cell phone isn't the problem, it's the conversation. And there's no way to make laws against that, so the government comes up with a way to attempt to deter it, all the while skirting around the real problem. In Washington you can do everything with your phone in the car as long as it's not pressed against your ear. You can put it on speaker and hold it two inches from your mouth and that's perfectly legal...but god help you if you put that same phone up to your ear, because apparently that extra six inches is when it becomes dangerous. It's just completely bogus.
Like I said there are some things the gov can control and some they can't...talking on cell phones is a distraction and they can control it and i'm completely fine with it.

it's simple logic

The conversation causes accidents
You have conversations on cell phones
Therefore cellphones cause accidents
Hence the ban on cellphones

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

First off, I never even mentioned texting. Second, I don't like the government making laws that are misguided. Talking on a cell phone while driving isn't any more dangerous than driving a minivan with six screaming kids in it. It's called a distraction, and it's impossible to police them all.

There are a bunch of other things governments could do to increase safety (like reminding people to inflate their tires). Thousands of accidents and blowouts would be prevented by that simple message, not to mention better gas mileage. But not a word about it. It's all Click it or Ticket and stop talking on the cell phone. Whether you agree with the laws or not, they are two laws that don't deter the behavior, and in one case (cell phones), completely misses the real problem.

Since when is simply telling people what to do a deterrent from engaging in risky behavior?

How the hell does the seatbelt law not deter the behavior? 2 out of 3 times i'm in a car people tell me to put the seat belt on because they don't want to deal with the cops and I do the same. Someone on the previous page already said he learned his lesson from getting a few tickets...so tell me how exactly is this not a deterrent?

There are somethings that are out of the govt control, they can't control who is in the car distracting you but they can control the distraction of cell phone use.

I drive in Jersey and the cell phone laws are definitely a deterrent because the cops actively look for it. The fact that you completely ignore the law doesn't mean other people do.
I always wear my seat belt, and I never talk on the phone in the car unless I have my headset, so don't assume I'm some crazy scofflaw.

All I am saying is that talking on a cell phone isn't the problem, it's the conversation. And there's no way to make laws against that, so the government comes up with a way to attempt to deter it, all the while skirting around the real problem. In Washington you can do everything with your phone in the car as long as it's not pressed against your ear. You can put it on speaker and hold it two inches from your mouth and that's perfectly legal...but god help you if you put that same phone up to your ear, because apparently that extra six inches is when it becomes dangerous. It's just completely bogus.
Like I said there are some things the gov can control and some they can't...talking on cell phones is a distraction and they can control it and i'm completely fine with it.

it's simple logic

The conversation causes accidents
You have conversations on cell phones
Therefore cellphones cause accidents
Hence the ban on cellphones

Originally Posted by Treb2k5

First RIP to your brother that is terrible to hear.

But i bet the car on fire happens about as much as some one launching out of the car and hurting someone else.  I think you should have the choice to wear or not wear your seat belt that's all.  You know it is safer to wear one then not wear one.  But you should be able to put your life in your own hands if it's not harming anyone else.

I hate that there is a chance i could get in my car drive down the street to my friends house never going over 25mph (in the same neighborhood) and get a ticket if i get caught not wearing a seat belt.  I am smart enough to weigh my options and decide its a short ride the chance of my dying are very slim aka no seat belt.

Originally Posted by Treb2k5

But i bet the car on fire happens about as much as some one launching out of the car and hurting someone else.  I think you should have the choice to wear or not wear your seat belt that's all.  You know it is safer to wear one then not wear one.  But you should be able to put your life in your own hands if it's not harming anyone else.

I hate that there is a chance i could get in my car drive down the street to my friends house never going over 25mph (in the same neighborhood) and get a ticket if i get caught not wearing a seat belt.  I am smart enough to weigh my options and decide its a short ride the chance of my dying are very slim aka no seat belt.

devil.gif
Beacon ave south wrote:

5 pages and no one got the right answer. Revenue

Govt dont give a dog *!%@ about nobodys well being
Was stated on the first page bro.

Originally Posted by Jking0821

Why would you even need to make a conscious decision of wearing a seat belt or not wearing one?
It takes 3 seconds to put a seat belt on, so I hardly see how putting one on can be an inconvenience.
Also if the distance you're driving is so little, why not walk there?
You'd save gas and you'd avoid getting stopped by a cop.

Originally Posted by Jking0821

Why would you even need to make a conscious decision of wearing a seat belt or not wearing one?
It takes 3 seconds to put a seat belt on, so I hardly see how putting one on can be an inconvenience.
Also if the distance you're driving is so little, why not walk there?
You'd save gas and you'd avoid getting stopped by a cop.

Back
Top Bottom