*★*Official Chicago Bears Thread*★* return of the Monsters of the Midway 4-1 (2-0)

Originally Posted by fraij da 5 11

Dont worry Casper, you and your crew will be ghost by week 16 anyways
laugh.gif
what you did there i see it..................but i dont think you tired to do it
laugh.gif

i will say this after that 2nd Detroit game +!%$ gets real in the wrose way
laugh.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
eek.gif

hope our last game has some meaning for both teams so we can see who real and who aint
wink.gif

Just wanted to give you a glimpse of the throwback jerseys Chicago unveiled just before the madness of Tuesday's 2010 schedule announcement. Below, you'll see the entire 1940's-era uniform the Bears will wear for two games this season. Those games will be announced at a later date.

I'm on board. The simpler, the better as far as I'm concerned. You?

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/11734/checking-out-the-bears-throwbacks#/sports.espn.go.com/espn/gallery/enlargePhoto?id=5119984">http://sports.espn.go.com.../enlarg...idth=640,height=750,scrollbars=no,noresize'); return false;">
nfl_bears_throwbacks_300.jpg

cool with me
pimp.gif

chicago draft picks
[table][tr][td]RD[/td][td]PK(OVR)[/td][td]NAME[/td][td]POS[/td][td]SCHOOL[/td][/tr][tr][td]3[/td][td]11(75)[/td][td]Major Wright[/td][td]S[/td][td]Florida[/td][/tr][tr][td] [/td][td]What he brings: Wright has great athleticism, fluidity and brings great toughness with his game. While he is a bit tight in the hips when getting off the hash, he has an extra gear to recover once caught out of position. In addition, he has adequate ball skills to make plays when in position.
How he fits: The Bears' defense already had good, tough run-playing safeties, but needed more range and closure on the back end versus the pass. While Wright does not possess great ball skills, he will give the defense more versatility to play both run and pass. He will have a chance to earn playing time right away. [/td][/tr][tr][td]4[/td][td]11(109)[/td][td]Corey Wootton[/td][td]DE[/td][td]Northwestern[/td][/tr][tr][td] [/td][td]What he brings: Wootton tore his ACL in the 2008 Alamo Bowl. Although his knee healed during the course of the 2009 season, he never seemed to regain the burst he'd showed previously. He is a good value here, though, because he has the frame, toughness and motor to immediately bolster depth and eventually develop into a starting power end in a four-man front.
How he fits: With Julius Peppers being added, Wootton will have a chance to become a power end in this 4-3 defense by overtaking Israel Idonije and Mark Anderson. How Wootton overcomes his injury will determine his success.[/td][/tr][tr][td]5[/td][td]10(141)[/td][td]Joshua Moore[/td][td]CB[/td][td]Kansas State[/td][/tr][tr][td] [/td][td]Moore is a fluid overall athlete with good short-area burst. He does a good job locating and playing the ball. However, his lack of long speed puts a restriction on his overall range and he needs to get tougher in run support. [/td][/tr][tr][td]6[/td][td]12(181)[/td][td]Dan LeFevour[/td][td]QB[/td][td]Central Michigan[/td][/tr][tr][td] [/td][td]LeFevour is going to have a tough transition coming from the spread system to a pro-style system. He still needs to refine his overall mechanics but has the work ethic and enough mobility to potentially develop into an adequate back up. [/td][/tr][tr][td]7[/td][td]11(218)[/td][td]J'marcus Webb[/td][td]OT[/td][td]West Texas A&M[/td][/tr][tr][td] [/td][td]He has the size to play at the NFL level, but its going to take a significant amount of coaching for him to realize his potential.[/td][/tr][/table]

Wootton is nice if he can keep the knee healthy...

Major is the only player yall really got in this draft aside from Wootton whos a question mark IMO.

Bears fans on other boards were FIENDING for Morgan Burnett before the draft and the Pack snatched him up
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Peppers gonna do his best to make up for a mediocre draft though
sick.gif

the more i read about the FS we got from Northern Iowa the more I like him I think he is a sleeper

Overview
The size (6-4, 224) and speed (4.43 40) are not misprints. Scott's physical attributes intrigue scouts all over the league, and though it's not clear where his NFL position will be, he'll certainly be part of war room conversations throughout the second half of the draft.

After a very successful two years at Iowa Central Community College, Scott bade his time as a safety/linebacker/special teamer in 2008 (20 tackles, two for loss, interception). Given a chance to start as a senior, he came through with flying colors: Team MVP, first-team All-Missouri Valley with 49 tackles, five interceptions (one score) and four pass break-ups.

Scott held his own at the Texas vs. the Nation All-Star Challenge. The athleticism he showed at his pro day actually caused scouts to ask him to work out at receiver; although didn't catch every ball thrown his way, he looked good enough to potentially get a shot there at the next level. But he also shows good range and physicality as a centerfielder, so coaches who believe they can improve his tackling technique may push for him as a free safety prospect in the middle rounds.

Analysis
Read & React: Very quick reacting to plays in his area and able to get across the field in a hurry to help on those outside his immediate zone. Lacks great instincts and discipline, gets sucked in on play-action and fooled by misdirection when playing near the line. Takes too aggressive of an angle near the line, giving up the sideline instead of at least forcing plays inside.

Man Coverage: Has a surprisingly quick backpedal, taking slot receivers on occasion. Good change-of-direction despite his height, will stay with outside receivers but needs to prove coverage skills against quick pro receivers. Good ball skills, has the hands and ability to high-point that teams may try him as a receiver. Inexperienced pressing on the line.

Zone Coverage: True centerfielder, takes away deep balls with his height and athleticism. Goes from one sideline to the other to help corners or bring down receivers on his own. Can be an intimidating force on crossing routes, likes to make receivers feel his presence with a big hit. Better reacting to plays in front of him than anticipating routes. Will bite on play-action, leaving his man on an island outside.

Closing/Recovery: Excellent closing speed. Transitions from pedal to plant-and-drive well. Uses speed and size to track down players, even if initially taking a poor angle. Rangy player who gets to the sideline to contest deep balls.

Run Support: Willing in run support, closes on ballcarriers at the sideline or between the tackle and drags them down, though he usually played too far off the line of scrimmage to make a huge impact. Puts shoulder into pulling guards to hold his ground and maintain his gap near the goal line but won't overwhelm veteran pro linemen. Must learn to use his length to keep distance from blockers and disengage to make plays; gets pushed away too easily by linemen and fullbacks.

Tackling: Likes the physical aspect of the game. If a receiver is in his path, he will wrap him up and plant him. Likes to lower the shoulder as well, whether dislodging the ball from a receiver or aiding a teammate in making a stop. However, ducks his head too often, trying to grab a leg even if in position to blow up a running back and receiver near the line; will whiff against elusive ballcarriers. Looks for the hit instead of wrapping up in space at times. Susceptible to cut blocks due to his height, needs to feel those blocks and use his hands to defeat.

Intangibles: Plays with the confident, physical attitude that teams want. Good teammate, backs them when needed and congratulates them after plays. Junior college transfer. No major character concerns.

2009 Season
First-team all-Missouri Valley Football Conference selection at safety … selected to play in the Texas vs. The Nation All-Star Game … recorded five interceptions to lead all Panther defenders … led the team with nine passes defended and four break-ups … racked up 131 interception return yards, scoring one touchdown … finished sixth on the team with 49 total tackles … helped the Panther defense lead the MVFC in total defense and scoring defense … tallied eight tackles against Iowa … returned an interception 59 yards in a 35-7 victory at Missouri State … recorded nine tackles in a 42-27 win at North Dakota State … credited with five tackles, one tackle-for-loss, one interception and two pass break-ups against Southern Illinois … tallied a season-high 10 tackles and 1.5 tackles-for-loss at South Dakota State … earned MVFC Defensive Player of the Week honors after intercepting two passes, and returning the final one 45 yards for a TD, against Western Illinois … blocked a punt and intercepted a pass in the second half at Illinois State … started all 11 games.

^^ sounds good to me. what was he undrafted?? that size and speed combo at safety is 
eek.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by fraij da 5 11

Wootton is nice if he can keep the knee healthy...

Major is the only player yall really got in this draft aside from Wootton whos a question mark IMO.

Bears fans on other boards were FIENDING for Morgan Burnett before the draft and the Pack snatched him up
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Peppers gonna do his best to make up for a mediocre draft though
sick.gif
this is my thing ive been hearin that since we picked him i hate hate hate when my teams pick somebody that couldnt stay healthy be for he became a pro
smh.gif
tired.gif

but if he becomes a stud ill be
pimp.gif
again 
laugh.gif

yea it dont matter who on the other side of peppers they better EAT or they on some bum !+@* and need to be cut asap
laugh.gif

but real talk the pass rush in the north is going to be ugly
sick.gif

Originally Posted by CasperJr

Just wanted to give you a glimpse of the throwback jerseys Chicago unveiled just before the madness of Tuesday's 2010 schedule announcement. Below, you'll see the entire 1940's-era uniform the Bears will wear for two games this season. Those games will be announced at a later date.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/11734/checking-out-the-bears-throwbacks#/sports.espn.go.com/espn/gallery/enlargePhoto?id=5119984">http://sports.espn.go.com.../enlargePhoto?id=5119984','Popup','width=640,height=750,scrollbars=no,noresize'); return false;">

cool with me
pimp.gif

They look pretty OK.

You getting Madden this year right? I can see abusing the Chicago Pooh Bears in those uniforms.

Originally Posted by THE GR8

^^ sounds good to me. what was he undrafted?? that size and speed combo at safety is 
eek.gif
pimp.gif

yeah he was undrafted we sign him saturday night

Originally Posted by RKO2004

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/11734/checking-out-the-bears-throwbacks#/sports.espn.go.com/espn/gallery/enlargePhoto?id=5119984">http://sports.espn.go.com.../enlargePhoto?id=5119984','Popup','width=640,height=750,scrollbars=no,noresize'); return false;">

cool with me
pimp.gif

They look pretty OK.

You getting Madden this year right? I can see abusing the Chicago Pooh Bears in those uniforms.

i ready brought it during that 20 bucks off code on the ea site
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

and for give me if im wrong but have you EVER beat me
laugh.gif
pimp.gif
nerd.gif

Someone in here throw together an Official Bears Thread por favor. I don't know where to get all the tables and such and I definitely won't keep updating it on the regular. Gracias.

Da Bears.

I think issac bruce will help because we all know drake sucks.
laugh.gif

BEARS IN BRIEF: Ex-Ram Bruce to aid receivers
Comments

August 1, 2010
BY SEAN JENSEN sjensen@suntimes.com
BOURBONNAIS, Ill. -- Former Pro Bowl receiver Isaac Bruce, one of the stars of the St. Louis Rams' famed ''Greatest Show on Turf'' offense, will join the Bears on Tuesday as part of the minority coaching fellowship program.

Bears coach Lovie Smith said Bruce is expected to work with the receivers for the duration of training camp. Bruce was one of the keys to Mike Martz's Rams offense, and he worked almost four weeks with Devin Hester last month in Florida.

''I saw what he was as a player,'' said Smith, referring to his three seasons as the Rams' defensive coordinator when Martz was the head coach. ''He had a coach's mentality when he was playing. He was a professional at all times.

''I think he'll be able to help them on the football field, but also just how to be a pro, too.''

Smith is a huge supporter of the program, which was started by legendary San Francisco 49ers coach Bill Walsh.

''I'm here because of the program,'' Smith said.

Hester raved about Bruce to his fellow receivers. A four-time Pro Bowl selection, Bruce finished his career with 15,208 receiving yards (second all-time) and 91 touchdowns. But don't expect Bears receivers coach Darryl Drake to feel threatened by Bruce's presence.

''I'm smart enough to know that there's a guy out there who has been through a lot of wars and battles,'' Drake said of Bruce. ''Plus, he's been in this offense for 10 or 12 years. He can share a lot of things. Not only new things, but re-emphasize some of the things I'm telling guys.

''He's one of the best to ever play the game.''

Originally Posted by RKO2004

cool with me
pimp.gif

They look pretty OK.

i ready brought it during that 20 bucks off code on the ea site
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

and for give me if im wrong but have you EVER beat me
laugh.gif
pimp.gif
nerd.gif

Late response but the last game we played I beat you.

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Bears' Chris Harris day-to-day with back sprain[/h1]
August 1, 2010 12:31 PM | No Comments

By Vaughn McClure

BOURBONNAIS -- Bears safety Chris Harris said he is day-to-day after spraining his back during Saturday's morning practice.

Harris won't practice Sunday afternoon.

"Backs aren't anything you want to rush," Harris said. "But I don't think it's anything severe."

Harris being sidelined means more opportunities for Craig Steltz and Josh Bullocks with the first unit alongside strong safety Danieal Manning. Rookie Major Wright also could get a closer look after breaking up three passes in Saturday night's full-pad scrimmage.

Cornerback Tim Jennings plans to practice Sunday and he continues to deal with cartilage issues in his knee. Jennings sat out Saturday.

Both Brian Urlacher and Olin Kreutz are expected back at practice Sunday after getting the night off Saturday.

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Cutler watch[/h1]
[table][tr][td]
55280926.jpg

Jay Cutler and offensive coordinator Mike Martz on the sideline during the first day of camp. (Phil Velasquez, Chicago Tribune / July 30, 2010)
[/td][/tr][/table]

BOURBONNAIS — It was an interesting first training camp practice in the Mike Martz era for Jay Cutler.

The quarterback initially was out of sync with his receivers, but he heated up quickly when the Bears started practicing seven on seven and in full team drills.

Cutler had not worked with his receivers for the last three weeks, so the initial rust was understandable to Devin Aromashodu.

Register with Chicago Tribune and receive free newsletters and alerts >>

"It was the first day back for everybody," the wide receiver said. "We were a little off early. It's usually like that the first day. Once we got the muscle memory going, everybody got back into the groove. (Cutler) looked good."

The highlights included deep balls to Devin Hester and Johnny Knox, the target of nine of Cutler's throws. Cutler's only attempt to Earl Bennett also was a long ball, but Zack Bowman picked it off on the sideline.

[h1]Day 2, Cutler Watch: QB works with his RBs[/h1]
July 31, 2010 11:12 PM | 1 Comment

cutler-knox-620.jpg
Jay Cutler chats with WR Johnny Knox. (AP / Nam Y. Huh)

By Brad Biggs

While tight ends were the focus of the first day of practice for quarterback Jay Cutler, it looked like there was a concerted effort to involve the running backs in the passing game Saturday.

Cutler looked to Matt Forte, who made 120 receptions in his first two seasons, and Chester Taylor, who the Bears signed in free agency partly because he was such a skilled third-down back in Minnesota. The backs were targeted 12 times by Cutler in 7-on-7 and full team drills combined.
Taylor did a nice job getting open out of the backfield for about a 20-yard pass down the right sideline and later Forte made a nice play on a deep ball. The backs were not just catching check-down throws, they were getting out in the pattern, a staple of the Mike Martz offense.

The only interception of the day of Cutler's came when defensive end Julius Peppers made a leaping play to pick off a screen pass intended for Taylor.

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Peppers' presence should lessen need to blitz[/h1]
[table][tr][td]
55280959.jpg

Julius Peppers takes a break during his first training camp practice as a Bear. (Phil Velasquez, Chicago Tribune / July 30, 2010)
[/td][/tr][/table]

If Bears are blitzing more with his sack potential, something will be very wrong

BOURBONNAIS — So the Bears are going to blitz more than last year? Sorry, but I'm not taking a bite of that worm.

If the Bears have to blitz more, then signing Julius Peppers was a waste.

Hey I love a good blitz as much as the next guy, but any defense works best when the fewest amount of pass rushers can create pressure. Sending more than four after the quarterback too frequently exposes holes in coverage.

Rod Marinelli's Bears defense isn't set up to blitz like Buddy Ryan's defenses were. Or like Rex Ryan's defense is, for that matter.

The Bears blitzed too much last year. Not that they had a choice. They blitzed because they weren't generating enough heat on the quarterback with four. And then they didn't generate enough heat with five or six or more.

But this season, they should be able to disrupt passers without an over-reliance on the blitz because of Peppers. And the team has worked diligently to make Peppers a one-man blitz.

Marinelli is going to be playing a shell game with his star defensive end. Peppers will be moving from right to left and back, and maybe even to tackle or standing up.

"If they can find him, hats off to them," Marinelli said. "I've done this enough that I think we can get a guy in position."

What Marinelli wants is to get Peppers an advantageous matchup. Given Peppers' ability, that usually just means a one-on-one.

When Peppers was with the Panthers last year, opponents probably made some kind of protection adjustment for him about 50 percent of the time, and much more frequently on passing downs. Often, it was a running back chipping him. Sometimes it was sliding the protection. Other times it was getting help from a tight end.

When opponents tried to single block Peppers, he usually made them pay.

"This is a little different from Carolina as far as getting matchups, finding the one on ones, dissecting the scheme, teaching us how the opponent is blocking us, and being able to attack the line," Peppers said. "Having that knowledge, and being able to have the freedom to go to that side is good."

Peppers said sometimes it will be his call where he lines up. Other times it will be Marinelli's call. Where he will line up could depend on strength of the offense, formation, the personnel package, or down and distance.

"It's a lengthy decision process that takes into account a lot of different things," Peppers said. "Sometimes it's based on how they come out of the huddle, sometimes it's based on how they line up. We're doing it like that so teams can't get a bead on where I'm going to line up, and to give them something different every couple of snaps."

Marinelli tinkered with a similar system when he coached Simeon Rice with the Bucs for five years. Not coincidentally, those were the five of the most productive years of Rice's career. And with Peppers, Marinelli hopes to take the system to another level.

Peppers said he has gone through some mental gymnastics, but it hasn't been too taxing. He said ultimately, it's football, not calculus.

In addition to the mental demands, Peppers also has to be comfortable with the physical challenge of flipping his stance. But he's not the only one who needs to be comfortable with two stances. Mark Anderson and the other ends must as well.

"Some guys don't feel comfortable with it," Marinelli said. "It's one thing being a good athlete, but it's still different playing both sides and getting comfortable and having your fundamentals down. He has done it consistently."

Peppers has shown the versatility to change sides in his career, as he has been a full time and productive on both sides in the past.

And he has the potential to be more productive than ever this year.

"I feel I will have an opportunity to get more sacks," he said. "I know the opportunity will be there. It's on me to try to take advantage of it."

Blitz? Did someone say blitz?

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Bears' Anderson inspired to have big season[/h1] [h2]Fifth-year DE is dedicating 2010 to late teammate Gaines Adams[/h2]
[table][tr][td]
55280919.jpg

Mark Anderson takes a break during the first day of training camp in Bourbonnais. (Phil Velasquez, Chicago Tribune / July 30, 2010)
[/td][/tr][/table]
BOURBONNAIS — The image etched across Mark Anderson's left hand is hard to decipher upon first glance, but a closer look makes clear its meaning.

The initials "G.A." are surrounded by a halo and angel wings as a tribute to Gaines Adams, the Bears defensive end who died of a heart attack in January. Defensive tackle Marcus Harrison has the same tattoo on his left hand.

"With Gaines, it's a sad situation that happened," Anderson said. "This season is kind of for him. I know he was working hard. I know he was a good guy, a good teammate, a good friend off the field.

"I just want to go out there and go hard because I know he'd be doing the same thing."

The previous descriptions of Adams, an undersized but promising young talent who never reached his full potential, could characterize Anderson as he heads into his fifth season. The Bears signed the restricted free agent to a one-year, $1.759 million tender, figuring Anderson, 27, had more to offer as a complement to Julius Peppers than Adewale Ogunleye and Alex Brown.

"The Bears have a lot of confidence in me," Anderson said. "I've got a lot of confidence in myself. I felt good about this offseason. I think it's going to be a big year."

Since exploding onto the scene in 2006 with a 12-sack rookie season despite only one start, Anderson has only 9 1/2 sacks in 46 games with 16 starts.

The Bears need the rookie version of Anderson back as they attempt to re-establish a strong pass rush. They had only 35 sacks last season, 24 by the line. Peppers brings 81 career sacks from his years in Carolina but can't do it alone.

So why will this year be different for Anderson? Well, the arrival of five-time Pro Bowl selection Peppers should make Anderson's work off the other edge a lot easier.

"He's always asking questions, just thirsty for knowledge," Peppers said of Anderson. "As far as the maturity level and the professionalism, I see those things. And that's where it starts. Once he starts doing all those things, that's when it translates into numbers and success on the field."

Anderson tried to explain why his production has fallen off since his rookie season.

"I've been trying to do a lot of different things instead of sticking to what I do best," he said. "Now I'm going back to the basics."

Anderson admitted he tried too hard to incorporate other players' moves into his game the last two years.

"Take the spin, for example. I tried to use the spin," Anderson said. "That's not really my game. I mean, I can do it, but it's not like what I do. I have a certain move I like to do — straight, basic speed rush and counter inside move — and now I'm just going to stick with it. That's what got me my 12 sacks."

Defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli agreed Anderson was pressing a bit.

"You don't have to have 20 things," Marinelli said. "Three things and then a counter. Coming off the ball correctly and the footwork. It's more about concepts than moves.

"I feel real good about Mark this season. I feel good about Izzy (Idonije) and Corey Wootton, this big young horse. They know the emphasis. We've got to find a way to get a four-man rush."

And if Anderson needs any added motivation, all he needs to do is glance at his left hand.

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Bears receiver Iglesias frustrated with injury[/h1]
August 6, 2010 7:51 AM | 1 Comment

juaquiniglesiasminicamp.jpg
By Brad Biggs

BOURBONNAIS -- For all the talk Jerry Angelo and Lovie Smith have had about Juaquin Iglesias this offseason, it's time for the second-year receiver to show something at training camp.

He knows it.

Iglesias has missed the last five practices with a minor quad injury. He's done some light running on adjacent fields the last two days and is day-to-day. But each practice that passes, another opportunity to state his case for a roster spot vanishes.

"Man, I think about it all the time," Iglesias said of the missed time. "I am out here trying to battle for a spot and when you're not out there practicing and guys are out there making plays, it's frustrating. At the same time, I can't rush it and come out here and tear my quad or something like that. I just have to take my time. You have to be healthy first. It is frustrating big time."

Photo: Juaquin Iglesias catches a pass during a June minicamp. (Nam Y. Huh/AP)

Iglesias was a third-round draft pick from Oklahoma in 2009 and Angelo likely won't give up  on a high selection quickly. But Iglesias has to pass the test with offensive coordinator Mike Martz and also prove what value he has on special teams. He was active for only one game as a rookie and didn't appear on offense.

But Iglesias worked diligently during the offseason. He gained five pounds and weighs 200 this year. He immersed himself in Martz's playbook and believes he's ready to prove he can play fast.

Johnny Knox, Devin Hester, Devin Aromashodu and Earl Bennett look to be the top four wide receivers. The Bears could keep one or two more depending on how it breaks down at final cuts. Rashied Davis got extended time with the first unit in Thursday's practice. He's also the most handy of the bunch when it comes to coverage teams on special teams. Iglesias will be competing with him and Eric Peterman, the second-year undrafted free agent from Northwestern. Antonio Robinson and Greg Mathews have also made some plays with the second team.

Time isn't running out on Iglesias. Angelo places high value in his draft picks and Iglesias had 142 receptions and 15 touchdowns his final two seasons at Oklahoma. He did the right things during the offseason. Now, he needs to be able to make it pay off.

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Knox catching on early[/h1]
[h2]But that just may be because of where he lines up and makeup of Bears defense[/h2]BOURBONNAIS — One week into training camp it would appear Jay Cutler has a new favorite target, or Mike Martz does anyway.

But the new offensive coordinator said it's just by chance that receiver Johnny Knox has been targeted considerably more times than the other options in the offense after nine practices. According to the Tribune's chart of 11-on-11 and seven-on-seven drills to this point, Knox has been targeted 55 times, 16 more than Devin Hester and Greg Olsen.

"We're installing right now and depending on the coverages the ball will go different places," Martz said. "Everything we script is just plays going in so it depends on what the defense is doing. Because of our defense, some of what we're doing, the weak side is going to get kind of emphasized."

Knox is operating on the weak side and one of the holes in the Cover-2 is the space between the weak-side linebacker and cornerback, a hole for a quick slant that Knox runs well.

"We're just out there taking what the defense gives us," Knox said. "It all depends on Jay's progression and read."

Devin Aromoashodu, who became a favorite target for Cutler late last season, is fourth with 32 passes his way and he has the highest percentage of catches on balls intended for him at 78.1.

Running backs Matt Forte and Chester Taylor are next and the work has been pretty evenly distributed between them.

Now with retired former star Isaac Bruce helping in camp, the hope is he can share some nuances of the offense with the young group. Bruce had nine 1,000-yard seasons in his career and was a main cog in the Rams' Greatest Show on Turf. The Bears don't have a 1,000-yard receiver on their roster. He said his goal is to help make the players more confident.

"I don't see much missing (here)," Bruce said. "I see guys who can make plays. You have a quarterback who can wing it. I always like that. You have guys on the outside who can make plays, who are fast and who can run routes without breaking down. When you have guys like that in this offense, it's always good."

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Harris should provide lift[/h1] [h2]Oft-ailing defensive tackle appears healthy as Bears look for boost from defensive line[/h2]
[table][tr][td]
55387717.jpg

Tommie Harris at training camp. (Phil Velasquez, Chicago Tribune / July 30, 2010)
[/td][/tr][/table]

BOURBONNAIS— The Bears are counting on being better on defense this season but they're not putting all the burden on Julius Peppers and a healthy Brian Urlacher to accomplish that task.

Fact is, the defense had moments of mediocrity before Urlacher was lost for the season in the opener last year. There is no question he should help a lot, especially in the base Cover-2, but he can't do it alone. As freakish as Peppers is, he isn't a one-man wrecking crew.

The newly incarnated Lovie Smith defense now under the direction of Rod Marinelli needs to be better across the board, starting up front.

One week into training camp, one reason for hope could be the biggest surprise at Olivet Nazarene. It doesn't have anything to do with a newcomer, shift in philosophy or recent discovery. Instead, it's Tommie Harris, the defensive tackle who is entering his seventh season. The Bears completed their ninth practice Thursday and Harris hasn't missed one, something few would have predicted.

After all, Harris has been treated with kid gloves here in recent summers. He was shut down at the beginning of camp last year and finally, tired of being badgered by reporters, offered up that he had undergone offseason left knee surgery. This is the first time since entering 2006 that he hasn't had to rehabilitate from an offseason surgery.

"I would say my confidence is a lot higher than it was," Harris said. "Last year, I had no confidence. I didn't really know what to expect because I didn't practice and I didn't do anything, no minicamp, nothing.

"Basically, it's getting back to knowing your keys, knowing what to do and breaking the game down. That is what I feel like I am able to do now. I can trust in my leg."

In the past, the Bears were mindful of wanting to have a fresh Harris in the fourth quarter of games in November and December. They used that as an explanation for the practice routine he had, which was scaled back during camp and the regular season.

Still, he was only in on 56.8 percent of the snaps in 2009 and 56.1 percent in 2008.

Now, they want to work the 27-year-old. He has been through two challenging seasons, suspended by Smith for a game in 2008 and benched for one last season. That type of problem seems to be in the past, but the only measuring stick is his performance when it counts.

"He's in there, he's getting padded up every single day. In this game and in what we're trying to do, practice is everything," Marinelli said. "It's skill development. The key is lining up and getting the work, and he's doing that."

The rest of the line also has to elevate its play. The thinking is that with Peppers attracting double-team blocks and chips on his side — the Bears are going to move him all over — the end on the opposite side should have a healthy share of one-on-one opportunities.

Call if the Jared Allen Effect. Ray Edwards has blossomed playing opposite him in Minnesota, notching 8 1/2 sacks last season and getting four more in the playoffs. Mark Anderson and Israel Idonije are being called on to fill that role.

"They understand the importance of the one-on-ones," Marinelli said. "They play very hard. They're both tough. They'll play their run gaps well. Now it comes down to who can win the one-on-one because those guys are going to get some singles now. They have to win them."

Anderson seemingly would have the edge with his pass-rushing skills. He had 12 sacks as a rookie in 2006 and Idonije has eight for his career. But Anderson has been a mystery wrapped inside an enigma since, and has posted only 4 1/2 sacks the last two seasons. The Bears aren't going to wait much longer for him to develop.

The defense is counting on help from all over, not just from the man who will make $20 million this season and the face of the franchise. The line is a good place to start looking.

[h1]Jay Cutler buying Mike Martz's deal[/h1][h3]QB seems to be enjoying learning offensive coordinator's brand of passing[/h3]

http://search.espn.go.com/john-clayton/

nfl_a_martz_cutler1x_576.jpg
AP Photo/Nam Y. HuhIn their first Chicago Bears training camp together, new offensive coordinator Mike Martz (left) and quarterback Jay Cutler appear to be on the same page.

BOURBONNAIS, Ill. -- Chicago Bears head coach Lovie Smith has brought back a "Monsters of the Midway" theme to reinstall a swagger in his defense. Offensive coordinator Mike Martz is trying to turn the offense into "Hellboys on the Hashmarks."
Bears camp is one of the most interesting stops on this training camp tour. Everyone knows that Smith and anyone not tied to ownership is on the hot seat to win this season. Watching the Bears practice has convinced me they are better than some people think. Martz's play calling and quarterback Jay Cutler's right arm is a dangerous combination. Smith talks about re-establishing the intimidating presence of the Bears' defense, but something is scary about what Martz is doing to this offense. Understand, the Bears' offense is an interesting collaboration. It starts with former Vikings head coach Mike Tice establishing an attitude and a plan for an offensive line that has been lost since it grew too old three years ago. Tice preaches a smashmouth approach to his blockers. What Tice and Martz didn't know until they got together in meetings was that their protection concepts and running-game plan were pretty close. Tice teaches some of the old principles he learned when he was playing for Joe Gibbs on the Washington ********. Martz is a mad scientist with his unpredictable motion schemes. He believes in stretching a defense on almost every play. The former St. Louis Rams head coach is genuinely excited about what he considers diamonds in the rough at wide receiver and tight end. It will be hard to re-run his "Greatest Show On Turf" days with the Rams, but the Bears can be a "Good Show On Grass."Some observations from Bears camp:1. Watching Cutler throw, I believe he's bought into Martz's offense. As much as he appeared to turn off last year's coaching staff and as much as he struggled all season, Cutler has settled into Martz's scheme easily. He's smart. He's got a great arm. He's accurate. That's all Martz asks of his quarterbacks, and those who played for him rave about how quarterback-friendly the offense can be. As a Denver Broncos star playing in 2008 for then-head coach Mike Shanahan, Cutler threw for 4,526 yards and 25 touchdowns. As discombobulated as the 2009 Bears' offense was in his first year with Chicago, Cutler still threw for 27 touchdowns. Barring disaster this season, Cutler should throw for at least 30 touchdowns and 4,000 yards. The surprise is how well the receivers are doing in this offense. All of the potential Devin Hester has is emerging in Martz's scheme. His route-running always has been good, and he catches the ball well. Martz raves about his skills and even brought in former Rams receiver Isaac Bruce to work with Hester. The other surprise star is Johnny Knox -- the speediest Bears receiver streaks down the field. The sleeper of the group is Devin Aromashodu, a 6-foot-2, 201-pound slot receiver whom Cutler liked last season and Martz likes even more this year. My concern with the Bears' receivers will be durability. Hester is 5-11, 192 pounds. Knox is 6-foot, 190 pounds. They could take a pounding but this is a fast group, perhaps one of the fastest Martz has had a chance to develop. 2. A different Julius Peppers has emerged in Chicago. Peppers might have been the best player on the Carolina Panthers, but he operated quietly. He let other players handle the media on a daily basis. As they did their interviews, Peppers slipped out the back door of the locker room. That led reporters to speculate Peppers wasn't a leader.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp10/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=5443415#/sports.espn.go.com/espn/gallery/enlargePhoto?id=5443537&story=5443415">http://sports.espn.go.com...443537&...idth=440,height=750,scrollbars=no,noresize'); return false;">[+] Enlarge
nfl_u_peppers12_200.jpg

Dennis Wierzbicki/US PresswireJulius Peppers is having a great first training camp as a Bear.
In one offseason, Peppers is not only a leader for the Bears, but he's a freak. Peppers has bulked up to 300 pounds, about 10 pounds heavier than he was in his Panthers days. He earned so much credibility from his teammates, they named him captain. Brian Urlacher remains the main leader of the defense, but Peppers leads by what he does on the field. During practices, he's like a man playing among boys. In each practice, Peppers seems to make a play that causes players to say they have never seen such athletic moves. He'll leap in the air, bat down a pass and then make an incredible spin move to make the interception. Peppers is playing so well the Bears expect him to draw double- and possibly triple-team blocks. Teammates need to take advantage of the extra attention that will be given to Peppers. Coach Smith will also be able to work extra blitzes to further put pressure on quarterbacks. The Bears are no longer using a soft Cover 2 defense. In fact, the Bears blitzed more than usual last year because they lacked a consistent pass rush. It also helps that defensive tackle Tommie Harris is healthier than he's been in years. 3. Martz seems to be conquering some of the challenges for the offense, but the key to the season could be Tice's development of the offensive line. The line could also be the downfall of the team. General manager Jerry Angelo has been scrambling to find replacement parts the past two years and it hasn't been easy. On the positive side, Chris Williams, the Bears' 2008 first-round pick, has settled into the left-tackle position and looks as though he fits. He's bigger and stronger and no longer looks out of place. Guard Roberto Garza is solid and could play on the left or right side at a decent level. Tice thinks he can develop a good second guard in either Lance Louis or Johan Asiata. Once Olin Kreutz is healthy, he'll be the center. Right tackle is a big problem, however, as Frank Omiyale has struggled in camp, often being replaced by Kevin Shaffer when he's at his worst. Cutler has a habit of holding onto the ball an extra second or two to use his strong arm to make a play. If the line struggles, he might have to try quicker throws. Tice has his hands full but he is optimistic he can pull this off.
John Clayton, a recipient of the Pro Football Hall of Fame's McCann Award for distinguished reporting, is a senior writer for ESPN.com.

Back
Top Bottom