✩✩✩ New Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf Interview ✩✩✩

smh.gif

This story is such a travesty. There's this documentary of him that they play on the Documentary Channel about what happened and its just a damn shame. This guys stats per 48 minutes were just ridiculous.

Dude had so much game, probably one of the best players under 6'2 in the 90's...

..a damn shame what some people may hold against you because of your beliefs.

tired.gif

He was such a good player and NBA did him so dirty
smh.gif

Even when he was in college, he ran things with Shaq back in LSU. Chris Jackson or Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf, the dude could play ball.

Another person that I can think of who got similar deal like Abdul-Rauf is Craig Hodges who used to play for the Bulls. After the Bulls won the championship in 92, Hodges showed up at White House in dashiki and gave a hand-written letter to George Bush Sr. about the administration's lack of concentration and treatment towards to poor and minorities. 

Originally Posted by Animal Thug1539

Dude had so much game, probably one of the best players under 6'2 in the 90's...

..a damn shame what some people may hold against you because of your beliefs.

tired.gif

I wish we still had athletes with conscience who stood up for they believed in and their ideals rather than the dollar.  Guys like him are the true hero's
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Dikembe too
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

I wish we still had athletes with conscience who stood up for they believed in and their ideals rather than the dollar.  Guys like him are the true hero's
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Dikembe too
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
Indeed.

Unlike LeBron James who proclaims one of his career goals is to become the next Muhammad Ali, yet he refuses to sign a petition circulated by his teammates for Chinese divestment in Darfur due to the ongoing genocide there due to his relationship with Nike... the fact that it could hurt him financially.  He wants to be like Muhammad Ali not because he was once hated by the American media and populace for his courage and integrity in speaking out against Vietnam and fearlessly standing by his religious and political convictions at a time when they were extremely unpopular.  He wants to be like him because he is the most revered and respected athlete of all time NOW because of the very actions he was hated for in the 1960s and '70s.  Ali never cared that his beliefs could "get him in trouble"; he embraced his power and role as a social and political critic and the power that he had due to his role as a professional athlete.

I was watching the ESPN 30 For 30 on the Ali vs. Holmes fight and Ali's former doctor said that he asked a black man who he bet on for the fight and the cat said "Ali."  When the doctor asked him why, the man replied, "Because he gave me my dignity."

Some @@#@ no one will EVER say about LeBron.  EVER.

Adbul-Rauf
pimp.gif

Mutumbo
pimp.gif

Hodges
pimp.gif

Ali
pimp.gif

Clemente
pimp.gif

MAR was the man.  His jumpshot was like goin' to the ATM.  Glad to see he's OK.  He looks the same as he did in his youth.  I don't knock his beliefs at all.

[h1]
eek.gif
eek.gif
roll.gif
but
indifferent.gif
tired.gif

[/h1][h1]
[/h1][h1]Charges Are Filed In Mosque Incident[/h1][h6]AP[/h6][h6]Published: March 24, 1996[/h6]
DENVER, March 23— Four radio station employees who engineered an on-air stunt involvingbarging into a mosque and blaring the national anthem have been chargedwith misdemeanors, but Muslim leaders say they want more seriouspenalties.

The authorities said Joey Teehan, a producer for KBPI radio, andWilliam Jones, a sound engineer, walked into the Colorado IslamicCenter on Tuesday playing "The Star-Spangled Banner" on a trumpet andbugle.

Mr. Teehan wore a turban and a T-shirt depicting Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf,the Denver Nuggets basketball star who recently refused to stand duringthe pre-game national anthem.

Mr. Teehan and Mr. Jones were charged on Friday with unlawful conducton public property and disorderly conduct with unreasonable noise in apublic place.

Originally Posted by red mpls

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Dikembe too
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
Unlike LeBron James who proclaims one of his career goals is to become the next Muhammad Ali, yet he refuses to sign a petition circulated by his teammates for Chinese divestment in Darfur due to the ongoing genocide there due to his relationship with Nike... the fact that it could hurt him financially.  He wants to be like Muhammad Ali not because he was once hated by the American media and populace for his courage and integrity in speaking out against Vietnam and fearlessly standing by his religious and political convictions at a time when they were extremely unpopular.  He wants to be like him because he is the most revered and respected athlete of all time NOW because of the very actions he was hated for in the 1960s and '70s.  Ali never cared that his beliefs could "get him in trouble"; he embraced his power and role as a social and political critic and the power that he had due to his role as a professional athlete.

I was watching the ESPN 30 For 30 on the Ali vs. Holmes fight and Ali's former doctor said that he asked a black man who he bet on for the fight and the cat said "Ali."  When the doctor asked him why, the man replied, "Because he gave me my dignity."

I'm not taking up for Lebron or anything, but you've got to realize we're dealing with the athletes of today. As you can see the 2010 athlete (Lebron) is different from the 1996 athlete (Abdul-Rauf). The 2010 athlete isn't as socially active or aware as the athletes of a decade ago. There are a few guys out there who are abreast when it comes to current issues, but for the most part these guys aren't trying to stand up for %!##.

Originally Posted by romedadude

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Dikembe too
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

I'm not taking up for Lebron or anything, but you've got to realize we're dealing with the athletes of today. As you can see the 2010 athlete (Lebron) is different from the 1996 athlete (Abdul-Rauf). The 2010 athlete isn't as socially active or aware as the athletes of a decade ago. There are a few guys out there who are abreast when it comes to current issues, but for the most part these guys aren't trying to stand up for %!##. i
There is absolutely no reason or excuse as to why athletes today are less socially aware and active than they were in the 1990s... and I'm not even sure that that's true.  Jordan didn't do !+!$ for anyone, either.  That may be the reason that Hodges was blackballed from the League for calling Money out for not giving back to the community or speaking on the social issues that were (and continue to) plague the black community, especially in a city like Chicago where he played for over a decade.

Almost all of these cats are self-serving and don't give a damn about standing for anything other than a paycheck but Bron set himself up with the Ali comments so he has absolutely no one to blame but himself for any criticism he receives for basically opposing everything Ali stood for.

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Dikembe too
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

I'm not taking up for Lebron or anything, but you've got to realize we're dealing with the athletes of today. As you can see the 2010 athlete (Lebron) is different from the 1996 athlete (Abdul-Rauf). The 2010 athlete isn't as socially active or aware as the athletes of a decade ago. There are a few guys out there who are abreast when it comes to current issues, but for the most part these guys aren't trying to stand up for %!##. i
There is absolutely no reason or excuse as to why athletes today are less socially aware and active than they were in the 1990s... and I'm not even sure that that's true.  Jordan didn't do !+!$ for anyone, either.  That may be the reason that Hodges was blackballed from the League for calling Money out for not giving back to the community or speaking on the social issues that were (and continue to) plague the black community, especially in a city like Chicago where he played for over a decade.

Almost all of these cats are self-serving and don't give a damn about standing for anything other than a paycheck but Bron set himself up with the Ali comments so he has absolutely no one to blame but himself for any criticism he receives for basically opposing everything Ali stood for.
I agree 100%

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Dikembe too
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

And I would say to that: who cares? I don't care if a star athlete doesn't stand for certain issues, or chooses not to lend their voice to an issue. You act like with this great recognition comes some social responsibility to take a stand on world issues. We get enough blowhard opinions from enough celebrities, so I don't think the world needs any more from its athletes. In the end they're all entertainers, and some use their visibility as a vehicle for their opinions. However, it doesn't matter either way whether an athlete takes a stand for anything.

he's saying lebron invited the responsibility on himself because he openly said he wants to emulate ali. You can't have it both ways. Theres no "being like ali" and not being socially conscious.

But to lebrons defense it's not just athletes who don't stand for !#%# except $. everybody is chilling on their ipods, watching the jersey shore instead of getting more involved with issues. It's just a very apathetic and cynical society right now. At least that's how i feel most of the time

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

And I would say to that: who cares? I don't care if a star athlete doesn't stand for certain issues, or chooses not to lend their voice to an issue. You act like with this great recognition comes some social responsibility to take a stand on world issues. We get enough blowhard opinions from enough celebrities, so I don't think the world needs any more from its athletes. In the end they're all entertainers, and some use their visibility as a vehicle for their opinions. However, it doesn't matter either way whether an athlete takes a stand for anything.
As far as LeBron goes, this
Originally Posted by DubA169

he'ssaying lebron invited the responsibility on himself because he openlysaid he wants to emulate ali. You can't have it both ways. Theres no"being like ali" and not being socially conscious.
As for athletes in general, I care.  To whom much is given, much is expected.  These cats could do so much for social justice and the empowerment and development of marginalized communities simply because of their status as athletes, entertainers, etc. gives them the combination of a platform and the influence that few other human beings possess.  Due to this power and influence, I wholeheartedly believe that these individuals are obligated to use that power and influence for good.

You apparently don't feel the same way; you're entitled to your opinion.  Maybe you don't live and work in the hood where half of the young men want to grow up to play in the NBA and idolize LeBron, Kobe, Wade, etc. and the other half want to be rappers and idolize Wayne, Gucci, etc.  Maybe you can't understand the impact that truly active positive role modeling (not just simply staying out of prison and things of that nature) by those celebrities could have on our young men and young women.  Maybe you don't care... BUT I DO.

And what do you mean by "it doesn't matter either way whether an athlete takes a stand for anything"?  It mattered to millions of voiceless black folks whom Ali spoke for, to those who feel as though Ali gave them their dignity through his beliefs, his social and political activism, his refusal to bend or break under the pressure of a white supremacist society, etc.

Imagine is LeBron James, right now, were to embark on a campaign to end sweatshops and child labor in the third world countries.  Imagine LeBron telling Nike that he will refuse to wear Nike apparel until they improve the working conditions in all of the factories that manufacture Nike products.  Imagine him actively speaking out against the corporation until they make substantial strides in doing so.  Imagine LeBron organizing a coalition of all NBA players to do the same for all major athletic apparel companies.  Imagine that movement spreading to the NFL and MLB.  Imagine the pressure that Nike, upon altering its manufacturing practices, would put on its competitors to make the same improvements that it was forced into making.

LeBron James could literally change the scope of international corporate labor practices and the quality of life for millions of destitute people across the globe... IF he took a stand.

So I would argue that yes, it DOES matter.

red mpls wrote:

Imagine is LeBron James, right now, were to embark on a campaign to end sweatshops and child labor in the third world countries.  Imagine LeBron telling Nike that he will refuse to wear Nike apparel until they improve the working conditions in all of the factories that manufacture Nike products.  Imagine him actively speaking out against the corporation until they make substantial strides in doing so.  Imagine LeBron organizing a coalition of all NBA players to do the same for all major athletic apparel companies.  Imagine that movement spreading to the NFL and MLB.  Imagine the pressure that Nike, upon altering its manufacturing practices, would put on its competitors to make the same improvements that it was forced into making.

LeBron James could literally change the scope of international corporate labor practices and the quality of life for millions of destitute people across the globe... IF he took a stand.

So I would argue that yes, it DOES matter.

this would be interesting depending on how far he pushed it. To be honest I think they would just drop him.

I don't know if I agree with your point that a wealthy athlete is obligated to help his people out or whatever. If I was personally in the position, I would help people out but.... I mean I just don't think you can force someone to help. They need to willingly take the platform. Who knows what issues lebron cares about? Is he prepared to take the backlash for his views, whatever they may be? I mean times are very different it's not like anyone needs him to stage a sit in. If he spoke against the wars I wonder what the reaction would be.

Back
Top Bottom