‘Nina’ Film Poster Released, Twitter Not Feeling Zoe Saldana as the High Priestess of Soul

Right but more people would go see it if they know Zoey is in it vs. No named actor.

You knew the answer to that question

Do you really believe that DC? I don't think Zoey has that huge a fan base.

I think people would've went to see this movie based on the story of Nina Simone, no matter who played her.

Do you really believe that DC? I don't think Zoey has that huge a fan base.

I think people would've went to see this movie based on the story of Nina Simone, no matter who played her.
Yes I do believe that a movie has a greater chance of being seen if the main character is an established star vs a non-named actor.

Not sure why you are pretending that is such a far-fetched statement

Bruh, where was this outcry when VH1 threw flour and donut powder all over Flex and told him he was "Michael Jackson"? They didn't even waste their time asking MJ for rights to use his music.

Fam you can't know anything about Nina Simone and think the outrage is fake that the actress cast to play her is a pretty light skinned woman. No way, just stop and think for a bit. It's almost satirical that it is.

A lot of people not paying attention to the context here.

Usual suspects in here missing the bigger picture.

Bruh, where was this outcry when VH1 threw flour and donut powder all over Flex and told him he was "Michael Jackson"? They didn't even waste their time asking MJ for rights to use his music.
:rofl:

Man that Flex MJ movie was a mess.

Yes I do believe that a movie has a greater chance of being seen if the main character is an established star vs a non-named actor.

Not sure why you are pretending that is such a far-fetched statement

Not pretending, but I don't think her star is that bright where she has fans that would go out of their way to watch a movie she's in. Like for instance, Channing Tatum could be on any stupid movie but girls will go flock to see it. I don't believe Zoey has that star power.

So in that regard, i feel like they could've casted any actor because it seems like the story is what people would be going to see, in regards to this movie. Hell, it seems like them casting Zoey might have people NOT go and see this movie.

Why not just cast an unknown filled with talent?

This is the opportunity to find a young black talented actress and put her on the map.
Right but more people would go see it if they know Zoey is in it vs. No named actor.

You knew the answer to that question

Oh don't get me wrong, I knew that. But let's face it, even with Zoe, this film isn't going to do F&F numbers.

(Bear with me here, because there's a lot of differences but...) I figured they should rather go the Superbad route, I mean what's the budget for this film (I'm speaking purely in ignorance here cause I don't know) but surely they're not exactly expecting to have F&F/Avengers type numbers at the box office. So why not rather cast extremely well, have an exceptionally well written script, and well performed film that will ideally catch the eye of all of the festivals, fans awards and ride that wave?

Maybe I'm just being a little naive here...

I get why people are upset and understand.

It's a bit similiar to when they did the story of 21 with Kevin Spacey. It was an insult to the actual DUDES that the movie is about because they were ASIAN but they casted a majority white cast and made the main dude a white guy. The part I don't get and will never understand is, their reasoning, or from what i hear, was because a white cast would bring in more audience and blah blah. However, this ain't like they casting that clown Channing tatum or nothing. Dudes were going to see this movie BASED on the STORY and not who was IN the movie.

Anyway, i agree they probably could've found someone closer in resemblence or an actual black actress to play her.

So Zoe's not black?

The part I don't get and will never understand is, their reasoning, or from what i hear, was because a white cast would bring in more audience and blah blah. However, this ain't like they casting that clown Channing tatum or nothing. Dudes were going to see this movie BASED on the STORY and not who was IN the movie.

i don't think you understand the average consumer

I would've preferred a darker skinned woman. Or at least a better actress. Nina Simone was as "raw" as they come. I just can't see Zoe pulling this off. This movie needs a Viola/Angela Bassett type of actress.

Last edited:
Should have just pegged David Ortiz for the role and called it a day.

Not looking the part is one thing (I don't see that as an issue), but darkening her skin for the role reignited the controversy.

to keep it all the way funky they werent gonna get a "ugly" girl to play nina even if nina wasnt the pick of the litter in her time

Last edited:
So Zoe's not black?

According to her, she isn't apparently.

i don't think you understand the average consumer

I guess i don't. When i'm trying to watch a movie, i can careless really who's in it. If the story looks good, i'll peep. If the story is wack but they have a great actor/actress, it's not gonna make me want to check it out just cause so and so is in it.

Back
Top Bottom