OFFICIAL 2023-24 FOOTY THREAD ⚽️: International break

Who will win the 2023/24 Champions League?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
Genuinely some of the worst football I’ve watched supporting United. Neutered Di Maria and had the other creative players scared to try things. Not to say that it doesn’t work, got some really big results against top teams, just boring to watch.

Yea with him it was the intention to just hold the ball regardless where as other managers who want to be on the ball would never has that as their intention. You need the right intention from the manager and the right players to make any style of play work and look good. I still prefer possession based because at least that at its worst you still in control of the ball, sit back counter based football at its worst you’re just asking to get battered

I can’t 😭

1680097617427.png

Yea with him it was the intention to just hold the ball regardless where as other managers who want to be on the ball would never has that as their intention. You need the right intention from the manager and the right players to make any style of play work and look good. I still prefer possession based because at least that at its worst you still in control of the ball, sit back counter based football at its worst you’re just asking to get battered

Yeah, he took a more pragmatic approach to possession football. Keeping the ball is #1. Recycle the ball if the forward pass isn’t clearly on x10. Where a Pep might applaud a player for attempting a “risky” pass that doesn’t come off, van Gaal is ripping into them for even trying it when he could have squared it to a teammate and wait for a better opportunity to move the ball forward. I’m with you on that being the lesser of two evils. Low block and counter is just asking for it. Not mad at it in certain situations but can’t get behind it as a philosophy.

It's not possession for possesions sake anymore though, you have to be a lot more direct and aggressive now and try to break the lines rather than nonstop short passing between the lines. Having 1000 passes a game only to create 2 or 3 shots on target is redundant as hell.

Pure tiki-taka hasn't been successful trophy wise in a long time, even the likes of Pep and Xavi have become more pragmatic and modified their approaches to adapt to the current game. It's the era of pacey, counter attacking transitional footy and high intensity pressing teams.

La Roja's obsession with maintaining it is part of why they can't beat the best teams when it counts anymore, just funny to see them always complaining when other maybe lesser talented teams find ways to counter them successfully.

Recently they complained after Japan beat them, after Morocco bounced them and now after Scotland handle them talking about they don't play properly as if there's only 1 way to play :lol:. Ironically enough, the only way they respect is for teams to play right into their hands.

That mentality is holding them back imo
i think you are underestimating their lack of attackers

Spain vs Russia will always be the most possession for possession sake match I seen, that passed that ball sideways 900 times

What has that translated to in knockout competition since 2012 though?

Plenty of teams dominate qualifiers and come up short each time, we make fun of England for it often :lol:
yeah so do you want me to tell you all the non possession based teams that haven’t won anything?
spain havent won anything because they have no world class forwards. look at portugal. they have world class at every single position and they suck. do you see what im getting at?

i can make a case for the “greatest league in the world” too. it would actually make a stronger argument for me. the prem has been dominated by this football and it’s not even close. england didn’t even used to have keepers that were comfortable passing to their defenders. now pep came and y’all are selling your whole club just to try and keep up.
spain just aren’t good up front so they can’t score off their possession.

Back
Top Bottom