🦉The Official Drake Thread6️⃣ - Scary Hours 3 11.17.23

If that's referring to me... I stand by it. Old rap is by and large trash. Off beat trash bars like "if you like to rock then you love hip hop". That's all Rakim was. Its praised cause it was first. It doesn't make it good. Just like modern cars would wash a Ford Model T. We over rate things that were pioneers.
It’s weird how time works. Rakim was the first one that didn’t settle for simple raps and was putting more complex bars in his songs. Back then it was nothing out like it and Rakim was on a different level compared to other rappers at that time. Decades later people studied him and took pieces from his style to make rap better as a whole but made his flow seem basic looking back.

Drake is in that spot now and he is well ahead of every rapper in his class and new rappers are copying his style. I wonder if 30 years from now will we not respect drake’s run cause every rapper coming out has a “drake” sound or do we still respect him for molding the game?

I am already seeing the turn on Kanye

Who would Drake be competing against in a Top 5-10 of all time conversation

Hov
Pac
Big
Nas
Andre 3k

???

You could argue Top 15-20. Maaybe 10. But it's also probably a lot of classic discographies I haven't gone thru front to back.
It’s kinda a disservice to everyone involved to compare him to guys who have only been about bars from day 1. They have different goals when they’re making projects.

I was thinking about that when people wanted him to do a Versus. He would have to ignore large parts of his discography vs everybody except Kanye, maybe Andre.

Like rap doesn’t entirely encapsulate who he is as an artist.

My theory. in the sweep of history.

it's going to be looked as two distinct eras. Pre Rap as Pop Music and Post Rap as Pop Music.
tbh you can look at it as pre and post Kanye.

Pre Pop Rap

- Rakim
- Big
- Pac
- Jay
- Nas

I think regardless of my opinion on the music, those 5 will be considered the most important figures.

-Rakim defined modern rapping.
-Big and Pac defined 90's rap entrance into mainstream culture
-Nas bridges the gap between the 90's and 2000s
-Jay defined early 2000 rap stardom

Post Pop Rap
- Kanye
- Drake
???
???
??

-Kanye brings introduces melody and expands the bounds of Rap music,
-Drake takes that and transforms into the melodic pop rap template that currently dominates popular music.

who else would guys have in the top 5 of the post Kanye era?

They take the greats from the past and compare us
I wonder if they'd ever survive in this era
In a time where it's recreation
To pull all your skeletons out the closet like Halloween decorations
I know of all the things that I hear they be poking fun at
Never the flow though, they know I run that
**** you all, I claim that whenever
I changed rap forever, the game back together, yeah
YM, I remain that forever
In the same place my brother Wayne at forever
I'm a descendant of either Marley or Hendrix
I haven't figured it out 'cause my story is far from finished
I'm hearing all of the jokes, I know that they tryna push me
I know that showin' emotion don't ever mean I'm a *****
Know that I don't make music for ****** who don't get *****
So those are the ones I count on to diss me or overlook me
Lord knows, Lord knows, I'm heavy, I got my weight up
Roberson boost your rate up, it's time that somebody paid up
A lot of ****** came up off of a style that I made up
But if all I hear is me, then who should I be afraid of?
Bought a white Ghost now **** is gettin' spooky
Very, very scary like **** you see in the movies
In this *****, all drinks on the house like Snoopy
That's why all the real soldiers salute me
Trill *****, for real

Did anyone listen to those wave of leaks that alledegly dropped a few weeks ago.

nope, ever since keeping up with GOOD Fridays/leaks ruined MBDTF for me (though its still a GOAT Ye album), I stopped messing with leaks like that...at least until the album drops

nope, ever since keeping up with GOOD Fridays/leaks ruined MBDTF for me (though its still a GOAT Ye album), I stopped messing with leaks like that...at least until the album drops
I agree but it was in excess of 20 songs that leaked. I can't imagine those all will make the album and I will inevitably lose out on stuff.

Can we talk about how smooth and effortless it is for Drizzy :nthat:

Good summer warm weather vibes from the boy on this one

828x664.jpeg.8a53a3a2622b4e219651abea9fd23534

Back
Top Bottom