⭐ OFFICIAL 2020-2021 NBA Off-Season Thread: Olympics begin 7/23; NBA Draft 7/29⭐

Status
Not open for further replies.
It certainly is.

But it's difficult to build a championship-caliber roster for a decade now unless you were the Warriors or had LeBron.

Sample size is just too small at this point to make any real determinations, I think.
LeBron had guys taking paycuts and Steph was on a bargain deal. Kinda just furthers the point. Even Kawhi left money on the table both in Toronto and LA

LeBron had guys taking paycuts and Steph was on a bargain deal. Kinda just furthers the point. Even Kawhi left money on the table both in Toronto and LA

Once you are above the cap a player making 30 vs 40 only matters within the context of how much money an owner wants to spend.

oh dang, well good for him...

1623632828319.png

CC veins look like hdmi cables,
unlikely a dude over 40 pulling that off without a little bit of help.

nothing crazy, prob just hgh and some test. any "anti aging" clinic will hook you up lol
Coming off heart surgery I doubt he'd juice. More than likely he already had a good base of muscle under the fat, plus that's not really that crazy.

CC most definitely on HGH, but having a dedicated personal trainer and nutritionist certainly helps. Man looks to be in the best shape of his life!

How much an owner wants to spend is kind of a huge factor. Wasn't Cuban trying to avoid the repeater and had Dirk playing for welfare?
He's also spent through his nose when they were actually in position to be a real title threat.

Admittedly - hard to say whether or not that's still the case right now.

He's also spent through his nose when they were actually in position to be a real title threat.

Admittedly - hard to say whether or not that's still the case right now.
That was before the modern tax penalties. Things have changed

However, the new CBA, implemented prior to last season, has changed the rules. Taking on luxury tax starting with the 2013-14 season will result in stiffer tax penalties and will also significantly restricts how a team can alter its roster. The latter more than the former convinced Cuban to move forward with a roster-building strategy based on cap space instead of luxury tax.

It’s less about the sport and much more about understanding where (and how big) your edge in the market is when you bet professionally. He was no doubt ahead of the curve with what he did analytically - but I guarantee that edge he held is long gone. So now he wants to give input on draft decisions, rotations and in-game adjustments? Very little of his gambling career transfers over there. He was betting into 2nd half totals and sides largely based off team/coach tendencies that the market didn't (or couldn't) account for. He wasn't looking at Bucks -2 vs the Nets and making a pick because he could just see the game so well. He was attacking a specific edge that he had cultivated. He admitted he pretty much lost it all in years prior and had to revamp with a model to bet off of, so it wasn't as much subjective as it was betting what his model spit out. I'd be more inclined to put more stock into his analysis if I was Cuban if he had made his fortune as a subjective better, not a modeler. Models come with expiration dates. So yeah if I’m a longtime scout who gets to watch this guy draft Tyrell Terry when I'm opposed to it, hell yeah I’m pissed.

A person who makes a ton in the stock market might not be equipped to help run a Fortune 500 company - two different worlds. They’d at least show some humility about it *if they want to do it well and try to understand what they don't know. I think that's his biggest issue, because there's not much denying he's at least a bright guy.

I work with guys who make a living doing this stuff and none would ever be equipped to step into the actual field. It’s just not the same. There’s value in both sides - but I think Bob’s comes from 10,000 feet and once you get into the minutiae, his value is honestly probably negative. It's not his fault other than being arrogant, he just likely has no idea. Maybe his knowledge is just superior but given the Mavs recent history and some of the takes he’s given out (KP > Giannis) idk. There's other people that aren't qualified that end up with these gigs too, but I can understand the pushback on Harlabob when it comes with his level of arrogance.

That was before the modern tax penalties. Things have changed

However, the new CBA, implemented prior to last season, has changed the rules. Taking on luxury tax starting with the 2013-14 season will result in stiffer tax penalties and will also significantly restricts how a team can alter its roster. The latter more than the former convinced Cuban to move forward with a roster-building strategy based on cap space instead of luxury tax.

The best teams who have actually won championships have spent into the tax.

Like those teams didn't let the new rules stop them and Cuban thought they would.

Cuban literally hasn't spent into the tax since the championship and there's no coincidence that's the last time we won a playoff series.

Hell he has publicly admitted cap space doesn't matter like he thought it would

The best teams who have actually won championships have spent into the tax.

Like those teams didn't let the new rules stop them and Cuban thought they would.

Cuban literally hasn't spent into the tax since the championship and there's no coincidence that's the last time we won a playoff series.

Hell he has publicly admitted cap space doesn't matter like he thought it would
Straying from the topic which is building a contender around a supermax player

Straying from the topic which is building a contender around a supermax player

I just don't see how 10M dollars per year when you are already above the cap doesn't pertain to this topic.

There outside of being able to offer the normal MLE vs the tax payer MLE,what tangible difference is there outside of an owner being willing to cut the checks that championship teams do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom